Booing

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll this descended into a sh*tfight.

As others have said, Leilua was booed because he agitated for a release to sign a lucrative contract elsewhere. Woods, Aloiai, Moses and Matterson received the same reception when they defected. In most cases there was an aggravating circumstance, like Woods encouraging others to leave with him, Matterson throwing shade at the club, Moses tanking or Aloiai being a sanctimonious Christian who cavorts with criminals.

Latrell Mitchell doesn't do himself any favours through his sh*thound behaviour on the field. But you don't have to look any further than the Roosters starting pack of Lodge, Radley, Collins, JWH and Smith to see that the NRL has had many grubby players and awful human beings over the years, none of whom have copped the sustained booing that Mitchell does.

While I don't follow the AFL closely, Adam Goodes was well within his rights to call out the 13 year old girl's racist abuse. My 6 year old knows that racism is abhorrent. At 13, she was old enough to be held accountable for her actions. I suspect that many who defended her were the types who usually call for zero tolerance on juvenile crime/anti-social behaviour.

Last edited:
While I don't follow the AFL closely, Adam Goodes was well within his rights to call out the 13 year old girl's racist abuse. My 6 year old knows that racism is abhorrent. At 13, she was old enough to be held accountable for her actions. I suspect that many who defended her were the types who usually call for zero tolerance on juvenile crime/anti-social behaviour.
Reminds me of video I watched on YT the other day of an older man in the US who shot a pregnant woman dead who tried to rob him. Apparently she pleaded about being pregnant but he shot her anyway. Anyway, all the comments applauded him saying her being pregnant was irrelevant. It made me wonder how many of those comments were from people who were pro life.

For mine the whole thing is BS, I remember the King being booed as he ran out as Australian Captain in Sydney just because he was NSW's nemesis from Qld. Even as a cockroach I am still disgusted at that behaviour but did he cry and take time away from the game? No!
These players today need to toughen up and stop being princesses.

Not looking for sympathy I thought it was funny
Which is a very immature response for a man your age when you can reflect on the fact that this happens too often to people who have no blonde wife to send in....

You certainly don't deserve sympathy - but instead of having a laugh at a case of mistaken identity - how about displaying some empathy for the real victims??

For mine the whole thing is BS, I remember the King being booed as he ran out as Australian Captain in Sydney just because he was NSW's nemesis from Qld. Even as a cockroach I am still disgusted at that behaviour but did he cry and take time away from the game? No!
These players today need to toughen up and stop being princesses.
Didn't Lewis also spit at someone?? Hence the invention of the "Wally Golly Guard".....

Anyone remember this?
He had been copping some booing for a while... I can't recall if this was a significant moment like a goal. Record or something
.. Not sure.

But imo he's inciting the opposition crowd...it was pretty agressive Not much different to Jerome Luai flipping opp fans the bird.

He didn't help himself here imo... Many will say he should be able to do what he wants... I don't know where that line is any more
View attachment 5514
He'd kicked a goal. The context here is that it was during the AFL Indigenous round.

By coincidence, I watched The Australian Dream on foxtel last nigh, about the Adam Goodes story. Worth a watch if you have time.

My personal take is:
The booing was racially based.
It came after Goodes called out the 13 year olds racist comment and the started making a stand against racism. From there pack mentality took over and the booing escalated
Eddie Maguire inflamed it with his ignorant radio comments.

It drove Goodes out of the game.

Cannot believe Maguire and Sam Newman still have public profiles after their actions.

Again, just my take.

I love the booing of former players or players who have wronged the team, but race should never play into it.
By another coincidence I was watching The Final Quarter the other night. I agree there was a racial element to it. A mixture of "you can't tell us what to do Goodes" and flatout racism. As it progressed I think it gets more complicated and elements of mob mentality and more of the you can't tell me what I can't do stuff.

Got totally out of control. I can't imagine being part of something like that knowing the mental toll it was having on that person.

By another coincidence I was watching The Final Quarter the other night. I agree there was a racial element to it. A mixture of "you can't tell us what to do Goodes" and flatout racism. As it progressed I think it gets more complicated and elements of mob mentality and more of the you can't tell me what I can't do stuff.

Got totally out of control. I can't imagine being part of something like that knowing the mental toll it was having on that person.
Thought it was great in highlighting what systemic racism is. Personally made me realise how perpetuating common misconceptions is harmful to this and helps breed ignorance.

Systemic racism?
What system exactly?
My comments were in regard to the impacts of racism in Australia - and how it's shaped Aboriginal sportspeople.
With all due respect I'd rather not get into a discussion about this topic and would prefer to disengage.
I honestly find it's a sensitive matter to be discussing on a footy forum.

My comments were in regard to the impacts of racism in Australia - and how it's shaped Aboriginal sportspeople.
With all due respect I'd rather not get into a discussion about this topic and would prefer to disengage.
I honestly find it's a sensitive matter to be discussing on a footy forum.
You have claimed systemic racism has affected current day sportspeople. Racism in sport is extremely relevant in the NRL, where the majority of players are not pale skinned. In fact, NRL registered players have listed 116 different countries as their place of birth! If you step back 2 generations, that number rises to 144.
It is the word systemic that I question and I would like to know how it has shaped our sporting stars.
If you don’t want to engage, all good but you can’t drop a grenade and expect to walk away without response…

We'll this descended into a sh*tfight.

As others have said, Leilua was booed because he agitated for a release to sign a lucrative contract elsewhere. Woods, Aloiai, Moses and Matterson received the same reception when they defected. In most cases there was an aggravating circumstance, like Woods encouraging others to leave with him, Matterson throwing shade at the club, Moses tanking or Aloiai being a sanctimonious Christian who cavorts with criminals.

Latrell Mitchell doesn't do himself any favours through his sh*thound behaviour on the field. But you don't have to look any further than the Roosters starting pack of Lodge, Radley, Collins, JWH and Smith to see that the NRL has had many grubby players and awful human beings over the years, none of whom have copped the sustained booing that Mitchell does.

Exactly. No one will boo Ofa because he’s respected.

You have claimed systemic racism has affected current day sportspeople. Racism in sport is extremely relevant in the NRL, where the majority of players are not pale skinned. In fact, NRL registered players have listed 116 different countries as their place of birth! If you step back 2 generations, that number rises to 144.
It is the word systemic that I question and I would like to know how it has shaped our sporting stars.
If you don’t want to engage, all good but you can’t drop a grenade and expect to walk away without response
Don't expect anyone to ever explain their buzzwords after virtue signalling. They aren't used for that. Just recognise how great of a person they are and upvote them. Good sheep.

its all just bizarre,Steady Eddy laughed. at his condition,so it was ok for the rest of us 2 join in.he did more with humour than a bunch of militant minorities{?} ever have.Booing is all in the tone of voice

Which is a very immature response for a man your age when you can reflect on the fact that this happens too often to people who have no blonde wife to send in....

You certainly don't deserve sympathy - but instead of having a laugh at a case of mistaken identity - how about displaying some empathy for the real victims??
What he doesn’t need is people like u telling him how he should react, if he’s fine move on , this is why this country is going to turn on its self in the near further

Don't expect anyone to ever explain their buzzwords after virtue signalling. They aren't used for that. Just recognise how great of a person they are and upvote them. Good sheep.
I'm a simple person, (can't wait for the responses to that) and as a result find it hard to up vote something someone has said when I haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

I've only got the old Roget's Thesaurus, must get the latest Roget's Thesaurus "Buzz Word" edition one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back