Booing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recollection was he was vilified racially in 2013 by the girl and rightly had her ejected. He copped unfair backlash for that.
Then in 2014 he was named Australian of the year and spent the next 12 months running the joint into the ground, focusing on historical atrocities rather than any and all positives that exist back then and currently. He basically retold stories we are all well aware of such as Captain Cook, massacres and stolen generation rather than work on solutions to the current problems facing his people such as poor education, poor health, substance abuse, unemployment and crime in remote and regional centres. His campaigning of anti racism ignored all the bad things coming out of the Indigenous communities. Sure the vilification of individuals and inequity of opportunities may have dissipated, but it did nothing to spark generational change within Black communities. A lot of households had substance abuse concerns, a lot of the kids were still living in squalor, a lot of communities were made up of unemployed individuals living on welfare, and the jails and detention centres were still heavily populated by indigenous criminals.

This seemed to upset people as he was just calling everyone racists, rather than use his huge platform to elicit actual change.
2015 is when the crowds turned on him. Is it possible they’d had a gut full of him by then? I can’t answer that.
I thought that there was an incident were Adam did a war dance or something like that.
I still think the booing went way too far, only my personal opinion.

There is a large enough racial element to almost all of the attacks on indigenous players and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

At the match it may not be you, the person in the seats next to, in front or behind you, but someone nearby definitely is, likely in a group and they are peppered throughout the crowd. After the match some of them attack the individuals with unmistakably racist comments on social media if they are scared to say it at the ground.
Post of the thread. For some reason people seem to think that just because their motives aren’t nefarious, everyone elses must not be either.

Didn’t say they were all the same… just that majority of those comments happen to come from people who are white.
You insinuated it.
Look it depends on what you call racism. The term has been well and truly diluted over the past 5 or 6 years.
Where I live, the mainland Black fellas give it to the Tiwi and Torres Straight people as they are darker. Both groups give it to the whites and we all give it to the Japs lol. People up here have far more to worry about than name calling.
As long as people aren’t experiencing inequitable outcomes, no one cares. Whenever some scumbag pops their head up possessing textbook racist behaviour, such as not hiring certain types of people, not letting certain people in establishments etc…the community deals with them.

I thought that there was an incident were Adam did a war dance or something like that.
I still think the booing went way too far, only my personal opinion.
Yes I do remember seeing something on the news.
Did he ask publically for it to end? It was certainly very rough but people get the shits when you unfairly label them as racist. He spent over a year sticking the boot into the country, often pushing the boundaries of racism himself. The mob reacted poorly but not unexpectedly for mine.

The number of Sky News Boomers on this page who regurgitate the word "woke" whenever someone does/says anything they don't like or agree with is hilarious and cringeworthy.

Boo = good or Boo = bad is such a childish and reductive argument.
Sadly much of that attitude comes from the USA which is arguably the most uncivilised first world country in existence.The polarization of politics over there is a terrible thing to see and a continuation of it will be a disaster for the entire world

It's traditional to boo a player who once played for your club, the first time they play against your club.
It's nothing malicious like the booing and sledging of some AFL players or even Latrell Mitchell.

Over sensitive victims…
Wally Lewis got called a wanker by thousands of people in unison all the time.
Aussies are no where near as racist as claimed. We are tall poppy hunters though and if you excel, especially in sport, we’ll go after you to gain some sort of advantage.
Are you non white?
If not then sit down, because you're not a judge of how racist some aussies are.

I can't speak for the Goodes/Franklin booing because I don't follow AFL enough and it could very well be because they are Aboriginal, but there are plenty of Aboriginal players who aren't booed by fans I'm sure.

In an NRL context I personally think Latrell is a good person off the field, but he's an absolute grub on the field. If he got booed by fans, it would be because he's a grub and not because he's Aboriginal, but you can tell the media narrative would immediately be about race. Likewise Walker, absolute grub on the field and very dislikeable player who's worth booing. On the flip side, why would any boo Tabuai-Fidow or Addo-Carr? No reason to boo them and accordingly they don't get booed.

We have an obligation to stamp out racism and discrimination at every opportunity we can, but at the same time it's patronising to suggest that an Aboriginal can't be a villain and do things worthy of booing either.
That 'he's a grub' line was also used to justify the booing of Adam Goodes.

Plenty of players could be classed as 'grubs' for the number of penalty infringements they commit.

Victor Radley to name an example.
Is he booed anywhere near as much as Mitchell?

I disagree from a personal point of view....

I boo Adam Goodes because he was an amazing player who played for another team....I couldn't give two hoots who they are personally, what background they have....Goodes kicks a winning goal or makes a huge play against the Pies as a Pies fan am I going to cheer?
I don't think so.
Luch got booed because he proved himself to be a low human
It's pathetic sportsmanship to boo an opposition player when they make a huge play. Why would you?

That 'he's a grub' line was also used to justify the booing of Adam Goodes.

Plenty of players could be classed as 'grubs' for the number of penalty infringements they commit.

Victor Radley to name an example.
Is he booed anywhere near as much as Mitchell?
Why did Cameron Smith get so much hate. It's just not fair, so waycist.

Jesus the pelicans are proliferating
Typical tactic.
Shutdown dissenting voices at every opportunity. It wouldn’t have mattered what my answer was.
We’ve already had one clown call everyone in here he disagrees with racist…and he received a heap of likes for it. No context, no evidence, just casually labelled and people agreed!
Says a lot about them and their intelligence.

Booing isn't racist and no one is saying it is. Being boo'd even more once you call out racists is racist. Once Mitchell called out the little guy at Penrith or Goodes at Collingwood, they should have been cheered but rather they were boo'd.

Did everyone who boo'd them know the ramifications? No. They all just joined a chorus and people need to realise how much that hurt an individual like Mitchel or Goodes.

Goodes reached a point where he gave it back to the crowd and that just incited them more and he got more hurt... In hindsight, not the best decision but I'm sure everyone can see where he came from when he did the war dance against the crowd. Now Mitchell is at the point where he's inciting them more than Adam did- for his own welfare I'd suggest he stop doing that but if it gets him to perform better then he can continue.

Booing isn't racist and no one is saying it is. Being boo'd even more once you call out racists is racist. Once Mitchell called out the little guy at Penrith or Goodes at Collingwood, they should have been cheered but rather they were boo'd.

Did everyone who boo'd them know the ramifications? No. They all just joined a chorus and people need to realise how much that hurt an individual like Mitchel or Goodes.

Goodes reached a point where he gave it back to the crowd and that just incited them more and he got more hurt... In hindsight, not the best decision but I'm sure everyone can see where he came from when he did the war dance against the crowd. Now Mitchell is at the point where he's inciting them more than Adam did- for his own welfare I'd suggest he stop doing that but if it gets him to perform better then he can continue.
I reckon it spurs Mitchell on. He enjoys notoriety, he interacts with fans all game long. After every goal kick he almost holds conversation with the crowd. When he scores a try it’s a huge statement.
If the drunks in the crowd go too far then they usually get ejected and banned.
People booing him and yelling out ‘F you Latrell’ are pretty rough, but make no mistake, when he scores he is telling the crowd to go F itself, no doubt about it. When he’s interviewed after a game he is generally all smiles and acknowledges his battle with fans. He gets a kick out of it.

I do believe he was cleared by the police and the NRL , but I quess the facts don’t count with u .
And by the way he is still a grub , just for the record
Yep, it’s quite the situation to assume he did it when he is cleared. I wonder if any subliminal prejudice is at play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back