Brent Naden #256

Good signing considering the injuries and the salary.

Good opportunity for Naden also.
Where in Picninc Point are you? Grew up in Padstow Heights. I went to Picning Point High for senior high school after a less than enjoyable four years at East Hills Boys.

Second that..
No - but i would think Naden is only the first of a few doggies that will be shown the door. The problem they have is they are going to have to kick in a fair amount to get rid of some of the players they want gone.
Is there a deadline for cap compliance? Perhaps first Monday in August? Just guessing?
If clubs can’t register a contract if it puts them in breach of the cap, then how is it that clubs have salary cap breaches? Unless there’s ambiguity around TPAs?
All very confusing?
If there is a deadline, then other clubs can better manage their own cap when raiding a poorly managed club?

Not far from PP high school, towards the river.
Nice area. Used to know a number of people down that way but haven't seen most in a long, long time - I left school in 79. Family names Bradley, West, Cornforth, Chandler, or Orr ring a bell? No idea if any of them would still be in the area.

To all the people saying this is a bad signing, how about...

We punt madge, Sheens and the entire WT board and put the forum experts in their place instead?

If you can't see why this is a beneficial signing, rewatch all of our 2022 season games.
Or better yet, just watch the games where we had Gildart or Pauga playing centre.

Had to laugh at the story about Brent's signing on ABC News Radio this morning.

They were commenting about how we was named in our squad despite no announcement of his signing, to play the team that everyone still thought he played for.

That must be a first for us.

Is there a deadline for cap compliance? Perhaps first Monday in August? Just guessing?
If clubs can’t register a contract if it puts them in breach of the cap, then how is it that clubs have salary cap breaches? Unless there’s ambiguity around TPAs?
All very confusing?
If there is a deadline, then other clubs can better manage their own cap when raiding a poorly managed club?
It’s about talent.

They've just been on a massive buying spree and now they are having a clean out. I hope we only get good deals that suit us. I'm worried about Luke Thompson. We don't need a dud contract on our books.
I agree, let the recalcitrants go to other clubs. Gould is quoted by fox saying in 2024 only 5 or 6 of the current roster will be contracted. It stands to reason that this statement may trigger a flight mentality even within those who have given everything they had, and don’t see themselves as the reason for the losses.
Burton is one they would want imo.

They've just been on a massive buying spree and now they are having a clean out. I hope we only get good deals that suit us. I'm worried about Luke Thompson. We don't need a dud contract on our books.
He was very good last year so the ability is there, we’ve seen it before. Good toughness too which we could use more of
Like Naden, if they’re subsidised by the Dogs to a below market rate you’d have to consider him or any others that fill a need in our side, which fits plenty of positions in our case

All very confusing?

Clubs must fill their 30 man rosters plus development players by June 30

Brent Naden’s Wests Tigers contract was lodged just five minutes before an NRL deadline allowing him to play against his former club this Friday night.

After a frantic series of meetings on Tuesday afternoon, the fastest player transfer in rugby league history was completed in less than four hours.

Naden quit Canterbury on Tuesday – just 24 hours after coach Trent Barrett resigned – to link up with the Tigers on an 18-month deal, effective immediately.

Unbelievably, Naden will now confront his former Bulldogs teammates in a highly-charged match at Leichhardt Oval on Friday evening.

But it was just minutes from being prevented.

Naden’s manager, Allan Gainey, lodged the final paperwork with the NRL salary cap auditor at 3.55pm on Tuesday – just five minutes before all NRL teams are required to announce their sides for the coming round.

With the NRL in receipt of Naden’s new deal, Wests had just seconds to add his name to their team sheet. At 4pm, Wests’ team was announced with Naden named in jumper 21 on an extended bench. He is certain to play, however.

The timeline in Naden’s shock move is extraordinary and caught everyone by surprise.

On Monday, Naden, who has been playing on the wing, approached Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould, seeking a chance to play in the centres.

While hugely respectful of Naden’s ability, Gould pointed out Canterbury had a wealth of young centres emerging, including Jake Averillo and Paul Alamoti.

Naden was prepared to stay at Belmore but Gainey felt an opportunity had arisen at Concord, given injuries had depleted the centre position so badly that back-rower Luke Garner had been forced to cover out wide.

Regular centres missing include Adam Doueihi and James Roberts while Oliver Gildart’s form has been modest. Tyrone Peachey and AJ Kepaoa have been named as starting centres for Friday night.

Gainey approached Wests at just the right time.

Excited by an opportunity to play centre at Wests Tigers, and after a phone call to Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell, Naden and his family drove to hold a face-to-face meeting with Maguire between midday and at 1pm on Tuesday.

Naden was also keen to play alongside his mate, injured fullback Daine Laurie.

After the meeting, Naden was convinced he wanted to shift clubs and told Gainey to sort through the finances with Gould and veteran Bulldogs recruitment manager, Peter Sharp.

Canterbury agreed to tip in some money for Naden this year and again in 2023, with the

length of his contract and the money remaining the same now he is at the Wests Tigers.

Gainey was appreciative Gould did not stand in the way of Naden’s desire to play centre fulltime elsewhere.

The final details – stating all parties had agreed to terms — were lodged at five minutes to four with Naden then picked to play the Bulldogs.

“We had to work overtime to get it all through to the NRL before 4pm,” Gainey said. “I sent the last email at about 3.55pm, which allowed him to play in the team on Friday night. It was only at the last minute that all parties agreed to the deal.

“I had to run that by Gus and told him that Wests Tigers wanted to play him against Canterbury he said he wouldn’t stand in Brent’s way. It was a good all-round result for everyone. Both parties were happy.

“It all moved quickly and was done to everyone’s satisfaction. The player was happy to move on and take his opportunities. He wants to establish himself in the centres, he is more damaging in that position.”

I agree, let the recalcitrants go to other clubs. Gould is quoted by fox saying in 2024 only 5 or 6 of the current roster will be contracted. It stands to reason that this statement may trigger a flight mentality even within those who have given everything they had, and don’t see themselves as the reason for the losses.
Yeah, his quote made it sound like Gould is planning to offload contracted players but its not that extreme, its just where their current contracts are at, his will be contracted statement should have been are contracted.

JAC, Max King, Jacob Kiraz, TPJ and Arron Schoupp are the only players currently contracted for 2024 and Burton has a player option for 2024, thats your 5 - 6 players.

It’s about talent.

Latest posts

Back