Brett Stewart

Original_Magpie

Apparently now Des has left he is going to exercise his get out clause in his contract and is going to be a free agent

He would be a good fullback for us

he would be a good signing and would fit into our attacking style of play, but I doubt we could fit him under the cap…Bulldogs or Dragons for mine will snap him up

More chance of signing Lockyer out of retirement. If , and a big IF he does move at all, it would only be to the Dogs.

And, we don't need him anyhow. Another salary cap muncher.

I read as well he wants to go to the highest bidder as the sexual assault court case cost him over $350,000 so he is just out for the money
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

So much for the player solidarity that Watmough was sprouting on about, if this is true :unamused:

Of course, he would be great here and would solve the problem of our flailing 'spine'. Won't happen though. In any case, I reckon if one Stewart goes, the other one will follow, so it would have to be a package deal. I don't know how many clubs could afford that sort of dough at the moment. If Brett was to go solo, he would be a perfect fit at the Dragons, filling the void left by Boyd. I can't really recall who is on Canterbury's roster at the moment, but what makes everyone think they can just buy anyone they like? Surely they must be pushing their limit as well.

Could not picture myself at game yelling out Go Benji, Go Chris, Go Sicko. And then if his brother tagged along Go Weirdo.
Just wouldn't feel right IMO
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

**Manly fullback Brett Stewart looking for highest bidder as get-clause comes to light**
by: Phil Rothfield From: The Sunday Telegraph November 13, 2011 12:00AM

CHAMPION fullback Brett Stewart is a free agent and prepared to quit Manly for the highest bidder.
No one has taken the news of coach Des Hasler's departure harder than the record tryscorer. After Hasler was stood down by the Manly board on Wednesday, Stewart was the first player to visit him at his northern beaches home.

"They have an incredibly strong bond and he is extremely disappointed Des is gone," Stewart's agent George Mimis said.

"Des was as big an influence as his family during a very difficult period in his life and he'll never forget that."

The Manly board has rubbished talk Stewart has a get-out clause, but The Sunday Telegraph has information that suggests otherwise.

A reliable source told me: "Brett's legal case cost him $350,000 so money's going to be important in his next deal.

"He's free to go now because of the clause or he's up at end of next season anyway. He loves Manly, but I honestly think he'll go to the highest bidder because he lost so much money clearing his name."

St George Illawarra are one of many clubs who have already made inquiries about Stewart. And they are likely to go after his brother Glenn as well.

But the Bulldogs are favourites because of Brett's tight relationship with Hasler.

Meanwhile, Manly's legendary boss Ken Arthurson has called for peace at his embattled old club.

"I can't tell you how down, depressed and emotional I've been over what's happening," Arthurson said. "I don't want to bag Des or the board. It's time for them to all pull together and endeavour to work as a team.

"In my years, I always insisted on total loyalty to each other. It's one of the reasons Manly has been such a great rugby league club.

"We always stood beside each other and behind each other in a crisis.

"If we had any problems with each other we never washed our dirty linen in public. Loyalty to each other was always the main consideration."

Arthurson last night ruled out talk he could return to Manly for a brief stint to knock the club back into shape.

"Do you want to see my birth certificate - I'm 82," he said. "It's very flattering that it's been mentioned but my days as a rugby league administrator are over."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-fullback-brett-stewart-looking-for-highest-bidder-as-get-clause-comes-to-light/story-e6frexnr-1226193497194

B Stewart and Adam Blair in the same side aye? can't see it happening

While he is an X Factor type player we don't need his type at our club.

Considering we have Tedesco coming through the ranks and Moltzen plus a load of other potential fullbacks I can not see Stewart/s coming to the tigers.

I believe he will either go to dragons or bulldogs or if Dugan were to leave, then possibly the raiders.

@tigeru said:
Considering we have Tedesco coming through the ranks and Moltzen plus a load of other potential fullbacks I can not see Stewart/s coming to the tigers.

I believe he will either go to dragons or bulldogs or if Dugan were to leave, then possibly the raiders.

Agree with the first sentence, there are high hopes for young Teddy and he'll learn a lot training with the fulltime squad this offseason, and hopefully put on a few kg of muscle.

As for where Stewart ends up, I cannot see it being the Tigers.

Silly thread, people are forgetting we don't just have an unlimited salary cap and we CERTAINLY could not make the largest bid.

If I had to choose who to cheer between Rob Lui and Brett Stewart…. I'd pick Rob Lui.

I think Brett Stewart is an opportunistic creep, and cheap shot Merchant.

I don't know that there are many clubs with the cash available under the cap to bid for him so staying at Manly will probably be his best hope for more money.

Brett Stewart is an amazing player with a price tag to match, if we are going to hope for miracles we may as well go all the way and hope for Slater, maybe he can brng cronk with him, that would solve our spine problems :slight_smile:

Latest posts

Back