Broadband Suggestions

@Muffstar said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146203) said:
Hi Guys, we are downsizing from a house to an apartment and currently we use Telstra for everything, Fox, Phones, Broadband. Where we are moving to if we want Fox, we need to use Foxtel Now, so no IQ boxes, so basically streaming everything.

I have seen some adds promoting Aussie Broadband, which seems to have local support if needed, which appeals to me, so no calls to offshore call centres. Is anyone else using Aussie ?

If so any feedback, i.e modem quality, speed, reliability, contracts etc.

Any other suggestions also would be appreciated.

I'm with Aussie Broadband after being with Optus for years. The difference is night and day so they get a huge thumbs up from me. They also guarantee not to oversell their NBN network, resulting in bottlenecks. Local Aussie Tech support too which is a big plus than the usual foreign call centre crap.

@cochise said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146265) said:
@mike said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146262) said:
Hi Guys, we are downsizing from a house to an apartment and currently we use Telstra for everything, Fox, Phones, Broadband. Where we are moving to if we want Fox, we need to use Foxtel Now, so no IQ boxes, so basically streaming everything.

I have seen some adds promoting Aussie Broadband, which seems to have local support if needed, which appeals to me, so no calls to offshore call centres. Is anyone else using Aussie ?

Why do you need to use Foxtel now. Have you confirmed that the apartment is not wired for Foxtel? It may be worth double checking. I know a lot of older buildings aren’t but many modern buildings are. We just downsized to a 1 bedroom apartment and the complex is wired for Foxtel satellite and works with an IQ4. The only channels we miss out on are the free to air SD channels.

Currently we have Tangerine (VOCUS) NBN and haven’t had any issues so far. We’ve used Aussie Broadband before, very helpful and had no issues with them either, pretty good service actually.

I believe Telstra has started only including Foxtel now in their packages to save costs.

I decided on 'Foxtel go' device ($ 50 once-off), and connect to foxtel through any internet provider. You can also connect to foxtel via 'foxtel go', app on windows/ios/android.

@Geo said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146269) said:
@tiger_one said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146260) said:
Geez - I'm payin' top $$$ for Foxtel.
I think I need to have a think about this too - as we're maybe having to get NBN soon too.
Thanks everyone for the info - it's all a new ball park for me.

Now is the time to strike tiger_one..especially if you are a long term customer..their latest deal for new customers is Premium All channels IQ4 + HD $74 a month but due to covid you get Movies for free next 3 months saving $29 per month..

So if you are paying more you are getting ripped off..

Don't take no for an answer ..don't talk to customer service either ask to be put straight through to I want to terminate my contract...

They are offering $59/month with 2 movie channels atm (12 months )

@cochise said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146264) said:
To be honest the middle speed is where I would be aiming with most providers, that should be around 50mbps. What you actually get in the home will be less than that, hopefully above 40mbps, our infrastructure isn't worth going for the higher speeds as it is unlikely you will achieve those speeds. If you are on optic fibre to the home is the only time I would look at the higher speed plans.

This isn’t correct.
You can get over 50mbps on all fixed line technologies
FTTC & HFC get over 80mbps easily. You will be able to get up to 1Gbps on these soon as well.

FTTN if you have bad adsl speeds (under 12mbps) now you will struggle to get over 25mbps on nbn, but 70% of people on FTTN can get over 50mbps easy

@innsaneink said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146258) said:
@CocaCola said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146246) said:
Last 2 years i've used 3 providers. Had great experiences with them all.

1. Mate (current) - $79/month (I experience better wifi speeds with them compared to the others), hence edges the others out.

2. Launtel - You can pause your service (day, week etc) & resume when you want. Basically only paying for days you want to use the service. Good for those who work away from home at times.

3. Aussiebroadband - Cant fault them, just more value & saving going with Mate. All 3 mentioned have aussie customer service & are reliable connections.

Mate $79 (100Mbps), + Netflix + Kayo is value for money. Don't need Fox.

Just looking at Mate plans.... I would have to add Kayo & Netflix myself yeh?
Can't see them anywhere there.
There will be 2 adults using internet browsing & Netflix and one kid using XBox... Not sure what speed we'd need

1) get unlimited data if you watch alot of netflix and the young one downloads/plays online

2) speed is important for the online gaming if you are watching netflix as well anything 50mbps+ speed wise you should be fine

I was with TPG for over 10 years, mainly because they were cheap but switched to Aussie broadband when upgrading to NBN last year. Aussie knocks them out of the park in terms of customer service.

Local people who know what they talking about, which is a big step up from the "turn it off and on brigade" most ISP have manning their lines.

If anyone does switch to Aussie you can use my refer a friend code (2329167). You get $50 credit on your bill and I get $50 credit on my bill. Win, win.

@Mighty_Tiger said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146291) said:
To be honest the middle speed is where I would be aiming with most providers, that should be around 50mbps. What you actually get in the home will be less than that, hopefully above 40mbps, our infrastructure isn't worth going for the higher speeds as it is unlikely you will achieve those speeds. If you are on optic fibre to the home is the only time I would look at the higher speed plans.

This isn’t correct.
FTTC & HFC get over 80mbps easily.
FTTN if you have bad adsl speeds (under 12mbps) now you will struggle to get over 25mbps on nbn, but 70% of people on FTTN can get over 50mbps easy

It really depends on how far you are from the FTTN node. Unfortunately NBN are rushing to get the network finished and not putting in as many nodes as they should to finish it and keep costs down.

Unfortunately we are about 1.2km from our node so best we can hope for is about 30mbps.

@AngryEmu said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146296) said:

This isn’t correct.
FTTC & HFC get over 80mbps easily.

It really depends on how far you are from the FTTN node. Unfortunately NBN are rushing to get the network finished and not putting in as many nodes as they should to finish it and keep costs down.

Unfortunately we are about 1.2km from our node so best we can hope for is about 30mbps.

Correct about distance but most people don’t know how far from the node they are. The other factor is co-existance between Telstra & nbn until the last legacy service is removed off Telstra. Once that occurs you will get another 10-25% automatic uplift.

The rollout of FTTN isn’t rushed, issue is how the government & telstra mandated the move. Which nbn have to clean it up. Transferred poorly managed networks never have a great success story. Topic for another day.

If value for $$$ is important and good reliability look at SpinTel and their offers

I agree - we are on the middle level and get line speed around 42 mb/s constantly. There are 2 kids in the house who run their phones, xbox etc on wifi. At night there is usually 3 different streaming services going at once in different parts of the house. Haven't had any problems with lagging or dropouts.

This isn’t correct.
FTTC & HFC get over 80mbps easily. You will be able to get up to 1Gbps on these soon as well.

FTTN depends on how far you are from the node. I'm in a regional area so 100mb/s doesn't exist where i am. Services got done for signing people up to 100mb/s knowing they couldn't get any faster than 50mb/s. I was surprised i was able to get 50mb/s as my adsl speeds were slow and constantly dropping out. The other thing is to make sure the lines in to your premises are good. We had faulty lines initially and had to be constantly complaining. The technician found a problem in the line outside the house fortunately. Fixed it and haven't had a problem since.

@diedpretty said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146328) said:

This isn’t correct.

FTTN depends on how far you are from the node. I'm in a regional area so 100mb/s doesn't exist where i am. Services got done for signing people up to 100mb/s knowing they couldn't get any faster than 50mb/s. I was surprised i was able to get 50mb/s as my adsl speeds were slow and constantly dropping out. The other thing is to make sure the lines in to your premises are good. We had faulty lines initially and had to be constantly complaining. The technician found a problem in the line outside the house fortunately. Fixed it and haven't had a problem since.

Correct this is mainly due to poor management of the network under Telstra & moving to VDSL on nbn.

If there are bridge taps, twisted pairs, star wiring etc these all impact speed and stability on FTTN.

Why do you need to use Foxtel now. Have you confirmed that the apartment is not wired for Foxtel? It may be worth double checking. I know a lot of older buildings aren’t but many modern buildings are. We just downsized to a 1 bedroom apartment and the complex is wired for Foxtel satellite and works with an IQ4. The only channels we miss out on are the free to air SD channels.

Currently we have Tangerine (VOCUS) NBN and haven’t had any issues so far. We’ve used Aussie Broadband before, very helpful and had no issues with them either, pretty good service actually.

Hi Mike, the apartment is still being finalised, maybe 6 weeks before we can move in, we have been told they are just installing NBN but no Foxtel connections, hence we need to stream everything. TBH, I am thinking only Kayo, Netflix, Stan, we have the full Foxtel package now and hardly use it.

I will just add, you can have Netflix & Kayo for $20/month if you split it with a mate.

Kayo $25/month - Allows streaming on 2 simultaneous devices.
Netflix $14/month - HD on 2 simultaneous devices.

I have a friend in another state using my netflix account. And I will most likely share a kayo subscription after my 3 month free trial ends (via beteasy).

Those who are more tech savvy can opt for IPTV subscription. 1000's of channels with sports packages available. You would definately need 100Mbps connection for that as the streaming source is always international.

@Muffstar said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146447) said:

Hi Mike, the apartment is still being finalised, maybe 6 weeks before we can move in, we have been told they are just installing NBN but no Foxtel connections, hence we need to stream everything. TBH, I am thinking only Kayo, Netflix, Stan, we have the full Foxtel package now and hardly use it.

Sounds like a pretty good way to do it. NBN fibre? NBN is great, so you should be all good to go.

I’ve got NBN fibre on a 50/20 plan and get typically 46/18 with 2ms typical ping.

If your staying in Port Macquarie, its a mish mash of NBN - newer estates, resorts and new apartments in town get FTTP which is what you want. The majority of the rest is FTTN and then there is Wireless for areas that can't access the other 2. Its a pain in the butt - we own a unit in Coffs Harbour that we rent out and it gets FTTP only because Coffs was in the early rollout. The whole NBN is a lottery.

@diedpretty said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146583) said:

If your staying in Port Macquarie, its a mish mash of NBN - newer estates, resorts and new apartments in town get FTTP which is what you want. The majority of the rest is FTTN and then there is Wireless for areas that can't access the other 2. Its a pain in the butt - we own a unit in Coffs Harbour that we rent out and it gets FTTP only because Coffs was in the early rollout. The whole NBN is a lottery.

Yeah staying in Port, moving to a new apartment near Port City Bowling club, hopefully as you say we have FTTP which would be good.

@Muffstar said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146590) said:
@diedpretty said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146583) said:

Yeah staying in Port, moving to a new apartment near Port City Bowling club, hopefully as you say we have FTTP which would be good.

If it’s new apartment should be FTTP.

Can go here to check: https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

If it comes up blank let me know and can find out easily whats planned.

@Fade-To-Black said in [Broadband Suggestions](/post/1146600) said:
What is FTTP and FTTN? Does it stand for Fibre to the node/premises?

Yep, you got it.

Latest posts

Back