Charlie Staines #262

I realise Dylan Edwards is only 27, but who is next in line for his FB spot at Panthers? I would have thought Crichton? But Cleary will be hard pressed to hold the versatile centre.
Staines would have to be considered, especially if he can get some game time at FB?
Sunia Turuva is an absolute gun and their next fb.

I have an opinion on how our backline should be in 2023,however I realise that there are people who wont see my suggestion as any good because they have their opinion on the backline,we also dont know what Sheens will come up with as well...
1..Staines (he is quick and versatile and is a FB that comes from a great system)
2..Noffo(thanks to LEE for the long extension)
3..AD (even though he thinks he is a 6)
4..Naden(very good centre,was limited here last season)
5..Ken M..(great winger and hard worker)
6..D.Laurie(has played the 6 role before and has experience in that position)
7..Brooks(with a much better pack should do very well this year..HOPEFULLY)
I also like the younger guys such as AJ,Starford etc,its good that there will be some competion for spots this year instead of us having to rely on fringe first graders to fill in for injuries etc like we did last season,although they tried our depth was almost non existent...
Just my thoughts,but I have no idea what Sheens will come up with...I hope he has done plenty of home work and can find his coaching prowess from the days of old where he had plenty of success and reguvenates himself and this team and club..

You might be right, I looked up stats for 2021 and 2022 and he does not rate anymore.

I still see Nofo as a line crosser, I still see Nofo as a huge defensive liability that has failed to contribute to a backline defence.

Even then if someone offered us 400k for Nofo I would take it in a heartbeat. What on earth were we thinking offering him 5 years at 525k.
4 years. Think it was more around 475k but not sure.

Stupid anyway. Yeah he's not the worse but wingers are a dime a dozen. Rather a winger be on less cap space with more upside.

I have an opinion on how our backline should be in 2023,however I realise that there are people who wont see my suggestion as any good because they have their opinion on the backline,we also dont know what Sheens will come up with as well...
1..Staines (he is quick and versatile and is a FB that comes from a great system)
I also like the younger guys such as AJ,Starford etc,its good that there will be some competion for spots this year instead of us having to rely on fringe first graders to fill in for injuries etc like we did last season,although they tried our depth was almost non existent...
Just my thoughts,but I have no idea what Sheens will come up with...I hope he has done plenty of home work and can find his coaching prowess from the days of old where he had plenty of success and reguvenates himself and this team and club..
Laurie at 6 is worth a try but if it doesn’t work out then we’ll be looking for a 6 every week so that is a gamble. AD needs to accept centre and really apply himself to the role I reckon he could be a very good centre. But if he doesn’t then AJ or Star, and Naden def has to be the other centre.

Whatever way you cut it I honestly that is nearly the second worse backline in the comp.

2025 we sure better have ome upgrades because.their will be some tries going down the edges in defence

Whatever way you cut it I honestly that is nearly the second worse backline in the comp.

2025 we sure better have ome upgrades because.their will be some tries going down the edges in defence
Shouldnt we place some faith in the fact that this backline is my opinion only and Sheens may have a completely different backline in 2023,who knows what he is planning through the preseason and who he fields where in 2023..I dont know any of the younger brigade that people speak of,but Im sure Shifty has an eye on the whole squad and who he thinks will not only benefit the team but him as the coach,he is looking toward success,not aiming to end up the way Madge did....

I think you are on the money - This is the strongest backline we can field with some leeway over who partners AD at centre at the start of the season. We have some depth in the centres through TT and the young fellas coming through. If we jag MM that will change the game again - but that can play out in the background.

We have addressed some of the forward deficiencies for 23 and expect that 24 will be focussed on building some real strike; if we don't develop it internally. The short contracts that Staines, Laurie AD and Brooks are on is a pretty good indication on where we are going next - so either perform, play cup on a reduced contract of find somewhere else to play!

Looking forward to the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Our best FB is still Laurie, and Nofoaluma shall be sent to Antarctica to play for the Polar Bears and Dolphins. He may still struggle with his speed and defence!😢
1 Laurie
2 Staines
3 AD
4 Naden
5 Maumolo

Api is probably the only player who has licence over his position next year. Stains is in the mix with rest of them and to date has done nothing extraordinary to get excited about. It's that simple.
If someone like Rua or Jake improved dramatically and Koroisau formed dropped badly ....

No one is irreplaceable ...that is what make a Premiership winning team

Lets ALL start thinking how a premiership side should work ...makes everyone off field HAVE to think that way as well ...makes people accountable for a non finals season in 2023 ....

Our best FB is still Laurie, and Nofoaluma shall be sent to Antarctica to play for the Polar Bears and Dolphins. He may still struggle with his speed and defence!😢
1 Laurie
2 Staines
3 AD
4 Naden
5 Maumolo

Nof will be picked on the wing and there are zero Polar Bears in Antartica

If someone like Rua or Jake improved dramatically and Koroisau formed dropped badly ....

No one is irreplaceable ...that is what make a Premiership winning team

Lets ALL start thinking how a premiership side should work ...makes everyone off field HAVE to think that way as well ...makes people accountable for a non finals season in 2023 ....
For sure. Just meant at this point before the season starts. I think it's also been made pretty clear that Brooks will also have one of the halves positions - 7 definitely if Moses is a no show - given that two other players who may have contested for that role have both sought opportunity elsewhere.

Nofo is a washed up wish version of Brian To'o ... all those playing negatives mixed with his ego and bad attitude... he's not a good fit for the future of this club.

Haha. Nof is a losty but he loves the
club and he goes alright, I'm still
rocking with him that's for sure

the Staines contract is weird,by all accounts its only one year, signing held back because he wanted 2,yet there has been no mention of an option in our favour, incase he kills it next year.O well
It is a very weird contract.
I can only imagine that Staines wants to stay at Penrith. Penrith explains that Staines isn't first in line this year and would have to wait.
Staines manager wants Staines to get game time (as anyone would) and so the 1 year contract with us the Tigers.

Meaning:
Expect Staines to boomerang back to Penrith after this season.

Hopefully Staines kills it and wants to keep playing with us. But hey Penrith got a very good Tyrone Peachey .... (ROFL).

It is a very weird contract.
I can only imagine that Staines wants to stay at Penrith. Penrith explains that Staines isn't first in line this year and would have to wait.
Staines manager wants Staines to get game time (as anyone would) and so the 1 year contract with us the Tigers.

Meaning:
Expect Staines to boomerang back to Penrith after this season.

Hopefully Staines kills it and wants to keep playing with us. But hey Penrith got a very good Tyrone Peachey .... (ROFL).
ROFL?

Nof has a bit of acceleration, not speed. We've had the slowest backline in the comp for years, Nof is a big contributor to this. His acceleration over 10m gives him power, which helps him make metres (when he runs straight). But other than intercepts he rarely scores from outside the opposition 20. He gets run down, then tries to step inside and does something stupid.
At 29 he will only go downhill from here. He should be punted ASAP if anyone that will pay 400k of his salary.
Gee I hate the way , people on here lay into players like nofa , yes he has his faults but he has been our only scoring option over the last few years , maybe u haters should look inside him , to see who doesn’t move up or comes out of the line leaving him stranded. Nofa proved he had the goods down at storm when U have a pack that tackles.

Back