Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@happy_tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063469) said:
@Earl said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063157) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063133) said:
This is what happens when you continually remove or lose coaches .....happy footballers become unhappy footballers when the style of coaching and training changes

I can understand Matterson's view totally , he needs to be able to show off his ball skills and running game to make the next step ....because of our deficiencies he needs to play a total power game ...which isn't going to benefit his career long term

It this really a fair comment and do you (or we) have any idea what it is that Matterson supposedly wants. Do we have any idea if the club has discussed this with him ? What should we do about this ? Are all the players unhappy ? If not why not ? Is Matterson just another spoiled brat ?

I don't know but I think we maybe need to stop looking at all the players that leave and blaming them and maybe look at the club and its situation

What situation ? How many players leave the club ? How many do we want to retain ? What is the cost of retaining these guys ?

Honestly I don't understand the issue. The problem is that no one is really explaining what the problem is in a factual fashion.

As an example what is Mattersons problem ? Does anyone really know ? Is it just money ? Is he homesick for the Eastern Suburbs ? Why did Aloiai, Liddle and Thompson re-sign with the club ? Are certain guys favored ? How can we put a team on the park each week if the situation is so bad ? Why did Matterson sign with us ? What about Reynolds ? Why did Madge sign with us ? Why did Clearly sign ?

@Earl said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063479) said:
@Earl said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063157) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063133) said:
This is what happens when you continually remove or lose coaches .....happy footballers become unhappy footballers when the style of coaching and training changes

I can understand Matterson's view totally , he needs to be able to show off his ball skills and running game to make the next step ....because of our deficiencies he needs to play a total power game ...which isn't going to benefit his career long term

It this really a fair comment and do you (or we) have any idea what it is that Matterson supposedly wants. Do we have any idea if the club has discussed this with him ? What should we do about this ? Are all the players unhappy ? If not why not ? Is Matterson just another spoiled brat ?

I don't know but I think we maybe need to stop looking at all the players that leave and blaming them and maybe look at the club and its situation

What situation ? How many players leave the club ? How many do we want to retain ? What is the cost of retaining these guys ?

Honestly I don't understand the issue. The problem is that no one is really explaining what the problem is in a factual fashion.

As an example what is Mattersons problem ? Does anyone really know ? Is it just money ? Is he homesick for the Eastern Suburbs ? Why did Aloiai, Liddle and Thompson re-sign with the club ? Are certain guys favored ? How can we put a team on the park each week if the situation is so bad ? Why did Matterson sign with us ? What about Reynolds ? Why did Madge sign with us ? Why did Clearly sign ?

They are /was desperate for a job ..

@ElleryHanley said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063179) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063173) said:
@rex2ce said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063166) said:
@Telltails we have had 800 k players in reserve grade this season, so no problem justifying a 350 k player in reserve grade who does not want to honour his contract, we’re going nowhere next season anyway, do not let him go under any circumstances, honour his contract in reserves until he feels better

If he doesn't want to honour his contract, sit him in Canterbury Cup for the next two years. Is it just this generation that believes a contract can be broken if a better offer comes along from a bigger club?

Normally I'd agree.....but WE are trying to break players contracts we do not want / force them out all over the place and have done for a few years now.

Coach doesn't want some players and some players don't want the coach. As you say, it is a two way street, like it or not.

Moylan, DWZ, Klemmer, RCG, Corey Norman, Ramien, Jack Bird, Val Holmes, Foran, just off the top of my head all players that have wanted out of contracts because they were unhappy. Really is not unique to us. Just don't like it when it's one you want to keep ,- and unlike many of those Matterson's supposed unhappiness was not reflected in his performance.

@hobbo1 Aloiai and Thompson definitely had other offers. I guess Liddle did as well.

@hobbo1 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063497) said:
@Earl said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063495) said:
@hobbo1 Aloiai and Thompson definitely had other offers. I guess Liddle did as well.

From ?

Aloiai Storm, Thompson Parra, Liddle Dogs...reportedly..

@ElleryHanley said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063176) said:
This is just purely me guessing...but the SMH story journo is very reliable, and if you look at the timeline his unhappiness is around Origin time....

Where it is likely players mentioned their own conditions / compared it to us...and also he was overlooked for the games whilst Saints, Knights, Sharks players all went in ahead of him...even Tariq Sims, who had a horrible year.

Certain clubs always get players in those sides.
**> It is well known those camps and officials basically crap on the Tigers / ex players rave about how much better things are away from us.**

Just a guess, but I'd be surprised if they don't line up. Matterson is NOT Mitchell Moses. He comes across as very grounded, but def wants to reach his max potential.

It is well known? Never heard any such thing. Think most of this negative attitude towards our club is all in our own minds.

If Matterson is depressed or has some other type of mental illness, a change of club won't help. WTs need to support him through the councilling process and get him right mentally. I just hope he's not pulling the Moses card for an out.

think we maybe need to stop looking at all the players that leave and blaming them and maybe look at the club an

Agree

@Spud_Murphy said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063500) said:
This is just purely me guessing...but the SMH story journo is very reliable, and if you look at the timeline his unhappiness is around Origin time....

Where it is likely players mentioned their own conditions / compared it to us...and also he was overlooked for the games whilst Saints, Knights, Sharks players all went in ahead of him...even Tariq Sims, who had a horrible year.

**It is well known those camps and officials basically crap on the Tigers / ex players rave about how much better things are away from us.**

Just a guess, but I'd be surprised if they don't line up. Matterson is NOT Mitchell Moses. He comes across as very grounded, but def wants to reach his max potential.

It is well known? Never heard any such thing. Think most of this negative attitude towards our club is all in our own minds.

I don't know about people crapping on clubs in those camps, but i can guarantee officials with affiliations to clubs certainly do test the waters and let players know they would be interested in their services.

@Furious1 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063507) said:
I don't know about people crapping on clubs in those camps, but i can guarantee officials with affiliations to clubs certainly do test the waters and let players know they would be interested in their services.

I'm sure the current NZ coach tests the water at NZ camps.

@voice_of_reason said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063508) said:
@Furious1 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063507) said:

I'm sure the current NZ coach tests the water at NZ camps.

Most likely

@Tcat agreed. Initially I thought it was the money thing which was the reason he wanted an exit. My perception is that he played well within his capacity and thus didn't feel there is much to achieve. He is big, he is strong and is an advantage, however he hasn't reach a level that will decide or change the momentum of a game. He needs to really set his sights on this. If he can do this he will become an all time great instead of being only a good player. He has all things required to make him great or just contend with his current requirements.
I noticed the other players have set higher goals and many improved within their means coached by Madge. Hope Mattersons can get over this current feelings and become an all time football great.

The Tigers need to look at their recruitment strategy...

Unless a <25yo superstar such as a David Fifita no contract longer than 2 years.

Just my view but I believe Garner has a higher ceiling. How long has it been since we have had a second row forward similar to Simon Dwyer? They both can/could put on a hit but more importantly are free running forwards. Time for Maguire to concentrate on a long term contract for Garner and let Matterson deal with the reality two more years at WTs. By that time, there is sure to be a replacement, perhaps Schuster?

@Spud_Murphy said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063500) said:

**It is well known those camps and officials basically crap on the Tigers / ex players rave about how much better things are away from us.**

Yeah, nothing to do with Anthony Minichello spending weeks telling a young Tedesco how much better he would be in a more professional side...

@GNR4LIFE said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1063504) said:
Some massive leaps are being taken in this thread.

It's what we do best on here.. myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back