Cricket Season Thread

How long have you cricket buffs been waiting for this to happen...Tom Rogers bowled Tom Rogers in Melbourne Renegades win over Melbourne Stars.
Another thing, can someone help me with this bet:
In the same match Adam Zampa failed to dismiss a batsman when bowling by holding onto onto the ball and ran out the batsman at the non strikers end. The runner had clearly left the crease how ever it was determined that Zampa was too far thru his bowling action 🤔"what the"
The batsman was actually in front of Zampa before Zampa was about to release the ball.......how far can the batsman be down the pitch before the ump declares it a run out.
I mean it's in the rule book, he's OUT!
I always thought that a gentleman's thing was to warn the batsman then if he keeps doing it then run him out.
It's more crucial in limited overs cricket because quiet often the games goes down to the last run so batsmen are stretching the rules imo.

How long have you cricket buffs been waiting for this to happen...Tom Rogers bowled Tom Rogers in Melbourne Renegades win over Melbourne Stars.
In the same match Adam Zampa failed to dismiss a batsman when bowling by holding onto onto the ball and ran out the batsman at the non strikers end. The runner had clearly left the crease how ever it was determined that Zampa was too far thru his bowling action 🤔"what the"
The batsman was actually in from of Zampa before Zampa was about to release the ball.......how far can the batsman be down the pitch before the ump declares it a run out.
I mean it's in the rule book.
I always thought that a gentleman's thing was to warn the batsman then if he keeps doing it then run him out.
It's more crucial in limited overs cricket because quiet often the games goes down to the last run so batsmen are stretching the rules imo.

I am not an umpire but i have always believed it is how far through the bowlers delivery arm action is also applies not just where the batsman at the none strikers end is.Hopefully somebody who is far more knowledgable than i am can give you the definative answer.

I am not an umpire but i have always believed it is how far through the bowlers delivery arm action is also applies not just where the batsman at the none strikers end is.Hopefully somebody who is far more knowledgable than i am can give you the definative answer.
Jad your correct, it has all to do with how far the bowler is into the delivery. If for example the bowlers arm is passing vertical then apparently he can't run him out.
In slowmo, before Tampa's arm got to overhead the batsnan was 3ft in front if the crease.
My question is how far down the pitch can the batsman be, half way down the pitch??
I guess if they are going to be picky then they are saying to the bowler "hey you stuffed up, you should have noticed earlier"
I still think if the bowler has a slow release the batsman can be 4-5ft down the pitch 🤣

The batsman was actually in front of Zampa before Zampa was about to release the ball.......how far can the batsman be down the pitch before the ump declares it a run out.
I mean it's in the rule book, he's OUT!
When I was a bowler (wrist and finger spin) I had 1 run out by this method.
I warned the batsman because he was crowding as well. 3 balls later I completed the action, by which time he was in “no mans land” so pleasing to turn an see the ump slowly but firmly raise the finger.
I swear it was as if time went into slow motion as all eyes were fixed on the ump.

There was a mankad in Sydney women’s first grade a number of years ago. A player from Universities ran out a player from Bankstown via mankad without any warning. The umpires asked the player if she wanted to withdraw her appeal, but she refused to do so. This cemented the players place as the most disliked player in women’s grade cricket. Both players were also playing for ACT at the time, which I am sure would not have helped with team harmony.

There was a mankad in Sydney women’s first grade a number of years ago. A player from Universities ran out a player from Bankstown via mankad without any warning. The umpires asked the player if she wanted to withdraw her appeal, but she refused to do so. This cemented the players place as the most disliked player in women’s grade cricket. Both players were also playing for ACT at the time, which I am sure would not have helped with team harmony.
My wicket wasn’t really a Mankad in the full sense of Mankads. To start with the runner was crowding my run in, and furtherI had asked him on a previous over to stop. He responded with a snarl. I could have simply done a Mankad but instead warned him “if you don’t stop that I will run you out!” I gave him 3 balls, time enough to consider.

The umpires are allowed to warn players if they are leaving the crease too early. Should be done more often.
Too hard for the umpires to watch the no ball and the batsmen and the flight of the ball ...leave it to the technology as this level

I don't know why batsmen just don't walk in with the bowler like fieldsmen do ...they get the moving start as well

How hard is it for the batsman to leave his crease only once the ball has left the bowler's hand? This is not a way to get a player out but it's a way to punish the batsman for making a mistake just like

Completely fine with Zampa's one being turned down because it is essentially a dead ball once the bowler doesn't release the ball once it goes part the vertical.

Also, in order to stop the pre-meditated mankads, they should impose a limit of 1 or 2 deadballs per over, excluding if the batsman pulls out. If the bowler pulls out beyond this limit, then it should be a no ball free hit etc.

This is the doing of the batsman getting unfair advantage, not the bowlers attempting Mankad.

Too hard for the umpires to watch the no ball and the batsmen and the flight of the ball ...leave it to the technology as this level

I don't know why batsmen just don't walk in with the bowler like fieldsmen do ...they get the moving start as well
Na mate, an extra 3 ft can mean the difference between winning and losing, as I said, especially in limited overs.
The argument started when my brother-in-law who loves cricket said... when the bowlers action is past vertical it's deemed bowled and I said, but the batsmen was 3 ft outside the crease.
He said then it's the bowlers fault for doing it too late.
I said, if it's deemed bowled then that's how normal runouts are done so why not this way.
I guess I'm wrong but these laws were introduced for Test Cricket years ago and not for limited overs where it often comes down to 1 run.
Amend the rules I say.

How hard is it for the batsman to leave his crease only once the ball has left the bowler's hand? This is not a way to get a player out but it's a way to punish the batsman for making a mistake just like

Completely fine with Zampa's one being turned down because it is essentially a dead ball once the bowler doesn't release the ball once it goes part the vertical.

Also, in order to stop the pre-meditated mankads, they should impose a limit of 1 or 2 deadballs per over, excluding if the batsman pulls out. If the bowler pulls out beyond this limit, then it should be a no ball free hit etc.

This is the doing of the batsman getting unfair advantage, not the bowlers attempting Mankad.
Tig I get what you say but isn't dead balls designed for something out of the batsman's or bowler's control, like a seagull landing on the pitch just before the bowler delivers or a spectator moving near the sightscreen. A runout attempt by the bowler is part of the play because everyone is in control of their actions, if it doesn't say that then it sux. 🤣

I’ve got no dramas with serial and egregious offenders being runout. But take our friend Tom Rogers last night. If Zampa bowls as normal he’d be leaving the crease about when the ball was released. He looks like he’s a long way down because Zampa stops his delivery stride. That Saffa guy the other day though was taking liberties. Give him a warning and it’s fair game. But trying to trick someone into leaving their crease because they think you’ve released the ball and then running them out? That’s shit cricket in my books.

Tig I get what you say but isn't dead balls designed for something out of the batsman's or bowler's control, like a seagull landing on the pitch just before the bowler delivers or a spectator moving near the sightscreen. A runout attempt by the bowler is part of the play because everyone is in control of their actions, if it doesn't say that then it sux. 🤣
A dead ball is one where each side regards it as being out of play.
Once the bowlers arm has gone through the motion of bowling without letting go of the ball, it should be called a “no ball”. And as such a wicket cannot be taken, but runs can be made and batsmen can be run out.

A dead ball is one where each side regards it as being out of play.
Once the bowlers arm has gone through the motion of bowling without letting go of the ball, it should be called a “no ball”. And as such a wicket cannot be taken, but runs can be made and batsmen can be run out.
Spoil sport. Now I have to concede to my BIL, thanks for your support guys. 🤣

I’ve got no dramas with serial and egregious offenders being runout. But take our friend Tom Rogers last night. If Zampa bowls as normal he’d be leaving the crease about when the ball was released. He looks like he’s a long way down because Zampa stops his delivery stride. That Saffa guy the other day though was taking liberties. Give him a warning and it’s fair game. But trying to trick someone into leaving their crease because they think you’ve released the ball and then running them out? That’s shit cricket in my books.
You take all the subjectiveness out of it if all batsmen are taught to leave their crease only once the ball has left the bowlers hand.

You take all the subjectiveness out of it if all batsmen are taught to leave their crease only once the ball has left the bowlers hand.

It’s easy enough for a T20 but some of those guys are out there for hundreds of balls in a test backing up. Like I said, I think it’s a shitty thing to do if someone backs up thinking the ball is being released. I assume it’s for that reason they have the rule relating to delivery motion.

Yes, the measure is whether the bowling arm has crossed the vertical.

Members online

Back