Daine Laurie #237

batboy

There has been some light weight champion fullbacks over time brother,
Ryan Papenhuyzen, Brett Hodgson, Matt Bowen, come to mind.
He is still developing and judging by a recent pic sporting an athletic bod, he would eventually resemble someone like Darius Boyd type of player imo.

Comparing Laurie to fullbacks from 20 years ago is a real problem
- NRL is a considerably different game to what it was then, all players - have developed out of sight…
The stuff back rowers are doing these days, how they’re build and their speed is ridiculous…
It’s chalk and cheese…

For every light weight fullback someone names, there are 3 better ones from the same time period who were built bigger and had more success

Cobarcats

Staff member
Forum Leader
Comparing Laurie to fullbacks from 20 years ago is a real problem
I didn't know Ryan Papenhuyzen played 20 yrs ago.
Will Kennedy is huge too
and Staines must be way bigger than Laurie. 🤔
Lighter fullbacks still have a place in the nrl IMO if they are fit, well coached, have raw ability and want to succeed.

BAGNF05

The issue the club has with Laurie is his immaturity and hi ability to read the defence….they want to see him “grow up”… and take his footy more seriously…
That Jimmy the jet signing was fabulous wasn’t it !? Not. Daine needs to pick a good role model and work his ring off or he’ll find himself in the north of England quick.

Cobarcats

Staff member
Forum Leader
That Jimmy the jet signing was fabulous wasn’t it !? Not. Daine needs to pick a good role model and work his ring off or he’ll find himself in the north of England quick.
Good coaching is what he needs. He could shine under Sheens and Marshall's attacking emphasis on the game. A bit different to 4 hit ups and kick on the 5th for every set as was the case with Madge.
Same with AD working with Marshall..

BAGNF05

Good coaching is what he needs. He could shine under Sheens and Marshall's attacking emphasis on the game. A bit different to 4 hit ups and kick on the 5th for every set as was the case with Madge.
Same with AD working with Marshall..
I wouldn’t be against bringing Billy Slater in to do some consulting. He obviously did good things with Pap.

batboy

I didn't know Ryan Papenhuyzen played 20 yrs ago.
Will Kennedy is huge too
and Staines must be way bigger than Laurie. 🤔
Lighter fullbacks still have a place in the nrl IMO if they are fit, well coached, have raw ability and want to succeed.

Not that I could be bothered....
But the Storm have a fair few top tier players (In most positions)
where a light weight hard worker - I'll say it again... Hard Worker can work at the back for them.

Kennedy is considerably bigger than Laurie...

Staines is a starting Fullback in which side is it? And when was it?
Penrith have 3 fullbacks in front of him
Just like they did Laurie.

And here's a tip - They're not missing either of them.

Cobarcats

Staff member
Forum Leader
Same here, I couldn't be bothered but...
I was eluding to the fact that people on here and in the media want Staines at fullback, my point is he not bigger than Laurie...and Kennedy considerably bigger than Laurie, 5kgs, 🤣 and Papenhuyzen is actually 3kg lighter than Laurie.
I'll say it again, lighter players still have a place in the NRL as long as
they are fit (over knee injury), well coached (Sheens-Marshall), have raw ability and want to succeed which I think he does.