David Klemmer #264

We need mostly footballers but we also need a couple of athletes who can do 60 tackles and not miss.
Unless it’s within 10 metres of the line.Couple of glaring ones from the great Joffa last season but maybe I’m a hard marker by and it was too late.
Agree he’s a workhorse, but issue is how best to use him and other forwards. A tricky situation for the coaches, especially if Batemans a late arrival.

Unless it’s within 10 metres of the line.Couple of glaring ones from the great Joffa last season but maybe I’m a hard marker by and it was too late.
Agree he’s a workhorse, but issue is how best to use him and other forwards. A tricky situation for the coaches, especially if Batemans a late arrival.
I wonder how we’re going in talks with Baker? He looks like a good prospect, a footy player I think? I see him in the back row and later a prop?

Todd Payton reduced Taumalolo's minutes considerably (and was initially heavy criticised for it). The Cowboys pack fired last year, after many years of having quality players but not doing much on the ladder.
I heard although Belllamy has forwards that can play 70 mins, he will be only playing them to 50 mins.
The new model seems to be having less workhorses. Doesn't means those fitter forwards that were considered "workhorses" are redundant. Almost the opposite due to the speed of the game.
Klemmer, Pole, Twal, Steph, J'Offa are all very fit and can play long minutes if required (due to injury ect). However I'm looking forward to see how they are used for best performance this year.

Quality of the bench should be much better this year, Klem and Stef to start, or Joffa and Stef to bench, with Twal and Pole is a very solid group of 5 props. When injuries hit I think we are still 1 short, but having a solid 5 props means adding a Fainu or Simpkins means they can hopefully only be needed for 20 minutes or so when called upon. I felt Pole was one of our best by the end of last year, and you just can't put young props in that situation and expect them to make it, he was super impressive.

Pole performed very well (in busted team) As did Steph the year before. With the young guys you can't tell if they can back it up in their 2nd year.
Steph didn't last year (due to injuries).

Quality of the bench should be much better this year, Klem and Stef to start, or Joffa and Stef to bench, with Twal and Pole is a very solid group of 5 props. When injuries hit I think we are still 1 short, but having a solid 5 props means adding a Fainu or Simpkins means they can hopefully only be needed for 20 minutes or so when called upon. I felt Pole was one of our best by the end of last year, and you just can't put young props in that situation and expect them to make it, he was super impressive.
I'd like to see Fainu and Simpkins killing it in cup before debuting. If we had multiple injuries with the middle forwards and Papali'i , Batman and Blore all performing in the back row.. Blore/Papali'i could always to an option to shift to the middle for a stint. Although there doesn't look to be much depth at this stage behind Blore in the 2nd row. Hopefully a couple of the younger guys perform we in SC before injuries strike.

Yes
I'd like to see Fainu and Simpkins killing it in cup before debuting. If we had multiple injuries with the middle forwards and Papali'i , Batman and Blore all performing in the back row.. Blore/Papali'i could always to an option to shift to the middle for a stint. Although there doesn't look to be much depth at this stage behind Blore in the 2nd row. Hopefully a couple of the younger guys perform we in SC before injuries strike.

Yes agree, we could shuffle. No doubt the pack is much stronger though and I guess Rome wasn't built in a day

Joffa to either start at prop or off the bench
maybe start with klemmer and Stef and bring on Joffa and Pole / twal
I would run with Matamua at 13
Might be a proper breakout year for Stef

Last year was forgettable.

Like the look of Matamua and think he's very much in the plans, no rush though.

Best group of props we've had in a very long time.

Might be a proper breakout year for Stef

Last year was forgettable.

Like the look of Matamua and think he's very much in the plans, no rush though.

Best group of props we've had in a very long time.
great depth in front row, forward will lay the platform looking forward to not getting pushed around in 2023.

Rugby league immortal Andrew Johns believes the Wests Tigers are a real chance to make finals for the first time since 2011.

The Tigers claimed their first wooden spoon in 2022 in a season which was marred by controversy both on and off the field.

However, the Tigers have recruited incredibly well during the off-season with David Klemmer, John Bateman, Isaiah Papali’i and Api Koroisau all joining the club under new coach Tim Sheens.

Johns believes those the fresh faces at the club will lift the Tigers from the bottom of the ladder.

“I think that they could be around the eight,” Johns said of the Tigers on SEN 1170.

“(They need) to have a clean run with injuries.

“I’m looking forward to their style of play because it will be different to any other team.

“With Benji Marshall and Sheens there, they will be an attacking team.

“A lot of change of angles, short passing, high tempo and attacking footy.

“I think it will be great to watch (and) I can’t wait to watch them play.”

Johns said he’s incredibly excited to see Klemmer who left the Newcastle Knights after his relationship with the club soured during the back end of last season. (SEN)

I wonder how we’re going in talks with Baker? He looks like a good prospect, a footy player I think? I see him in the back row and later a prop?
It’s all gone quite on baker , doubt we get him , after Angus medical problem???

Back