David Nofoaluma #164

i think the criticism of Nofoaluma is starting to get a little over the top. Don't get me wrong, he has his faults and absolutely is over payed but some of "the never play first grade again" and "gotta go no matter how much we have to contribute" takes are to far.

Yes his numbers were terrible on the weekend but he is still putting up about 125m/game this season. A season he has played outside Wakeham for the majority of.
I would be shocked if he isn't booked in for shoulder surgery from the injury suffered in the Cowboys game. His involvement has been decreasing ever since. Im sure the if he isn't fit he shouldn't be out there line will get trundled out, but who can take his place?
And yes i agree His defence is below average. But not half as bad as the forum makes it out to be. There is no inside pressure from the forwards and a terrible defensive half and centre inside him. He is often left with a 3 on 1, lose/lose situation.
Would I be happy if he moved on? Yes.
Would I be accepting of the club paying some of his wage to do so? Yes, pending how much and who we replace him with.
Do I think he is the best winger on our books? Sadly, yes.

Would I be accepting of the club paying some of his wage to do so? Yes, pending how much and who we replace him with.
Do I think he is the best winger on our books? Sadly, yes.
Nofoaluma used to run straight, and was our primary 1st/2nd tackle runner.
His defence, game reading, positioning were always awful.
From this season, he started running sideways, and we have forwards to run 1st/2nd tackle.
So, awful defender, ineffective in the attack, cannot catch bombs.

Tupou is a better winger, he is more dangerous in the attack, his defence is better then Nofoaluma's, he is much younger, and on significantly less money. Also, he plays next to AJ Kepaoa, arguably with Nofoaluma our worst defender.
Staines is another better winger, but for some reason Nofoaluma was a preferred option.

Nofoaluma used to run straight, and was our primary 1st/2nd tackle runner.
His defence, game reading, positioning were always awful.
From this season, he started running sideways, and we have forwards to run 1st/2nd tackle.
So, awful defender, ineffective in the attack, cannot catch bombs.

Tupou is a better winger, he is more dangerous in the attack, his defence is better then Nofoaluma's, he is much younger, and on significantly less money. Also, he plays next to AJ Kepaoa, arguably with Nofoaluma our worst defender.
Staines is another better winger, but for some reason Nofoaluma was a preferred option.
Unfortunately for Staines he has been injured most of the season. He was literally keeping Nofoaluma out of first grade until he got that bowel injury and now got a hamstring injury on top of that. If Staines managed to go uninjured, I don’t think Nofa would’ve played much footy this year in first grade.

Don't worry- Nofa isn't going anywhere IMO.

He does a lot of the dirty work that gets little recognition. He's not great. He's a passable first grader. If motivated, he can get consistent metres. Safer than most under kicks. His defensive reads are bad, but to single him out & give 16 others a pass for this seems harsh.

And despite it not being a celebrated thing, the guy has come through our ranks. He's a Tiger. I can't think of too many clubs that don't have at least 1 long term junior still in the club. With Brooks gone, Nofa is the last man standing.
Cant disagree with anything you say but the issue that our backline never passes him the ball in attack indicates that we have backline problems in general .
He mainly catches their bombs or gets the ball 10m -20m out from our line and tries to do hit ups .
Our attacking moves go left occasionally right but the play nearly always breaks down usually with a forward taking the 4th or 5th tackle and cutting back infield
Our attack is clunky to put it mildly .The top teams use their wingers a lot .We never get that far !

Nofas been a "punching bag"for quite some time,but as the other weak links are being progressively sorted we get to him
His weaknesses have been well articulated by others,but fact is he is arguably the slowest winger in the NRL and the worst defender.
His previous strengths of taking the dirty hits and running straight have disappeared
So he offers absolutely nothing other than being a local junior
Sounds like a certain no 7 we just managed out...albeit when his contract ended
Problem for WTs is Nofas on double what hes real worth is as a fringe 1st grader,so it wld be a $250k hit for each of the next 2 years if we cld somehow manage to offload him
Do we wanna do that for a winger?
Lees wedding party..the gift that keeps on giving..

Last edited:
Nofas been a "punching bag"for quite some time,but as the other weak links are being progressively sorted we get to him
His weaknesses have been well articulated by others,but fact is he is arguably the slowest winger in the NRL and the worst defender.
His previous strengths of taking the dirty hits and running straight have disappeared
So he offers absolutely nothing other than being a local junior
Sounds like a certain no 7 we just managed out...albeit when his contract ended
Problem for WTs is Nofas on double what hes real worth is as a fringe 1st grader,so it wld be a $250k hit for each of the next 2 years if we cld somehow manage to offload him
Do we wanna do that for a winger?
Lees wedding party..the gift that keeps on giving..
If my memory serves me correctly noffa picks up consistency and form before his current contract aswell as the one before
If I wasn’t such a tech idiot I’d try and review his stats.
I really hope Fulton doesn’t let this rot keep happening
We always seem to have players playing well in contract years. Generally lesser skilled players playing above their weight
Then the fans get behind them and we’re paying overs for average

I am hesitant to be too harsh on Noffa until I se him next season. I think he may be carrying an injury. His numbers mid season were pretty good as was the effectiveness of his carrys.

He then had an injury and come back but has not been the same. He was run down very quickly when he recently took an intercept and he had always been traditionally very hard to put down - he is now quickly submitting in tackles which is very unlike him.

See what happens in the off season I think.

I am hesitant to be too harsh on Noffa until I se him next season. I think he may be carrying an injury. His numbers mid season were pretty good as was the effectiveness of his carrys.

He then had an injury and come back but has not been the same. He was run down very quickly when he recently took an intercept and he had always been traditionally very hard to put down - he is now quickly submitting in tackles which is very unlike him.

See what happens in the off season I think.
Reasonable observations bbobb, but he’s not doing himself, or the club, any favours by playing if he’s injured.
It’s too late to worry about this year but I think he really needs to get himself fit and right, (including some extra sprint training, along with a few others), in the off season. Even another yard or two would be useful for most of our backs.

I remember he went on Twitter & started blaming teammates for his shocking defensive reads… horrible attitude to have.
He's done that a few times.

Blamed and insulted Toa on field and pulled the old A and B defender remark, blaming Mbye on twitter.

He use to be a really well liked player and a great finisher... nowadays he's just an egotistical banker that looks like he couldn't give a damm.

He's worn out his welcome and hopefully some one takes a punt on him so we can free up some coin, a top 30 spot and rid ourselves of an overpaid, under performing, bad attitude having washed up player.

Well if he is playing injured then that’s the clubs fault for not being transparent to the fans and letting us know thru updates and issues… they are terrible at keeping us updated and need to convey that sort of stuff if they don’t want forum members to have a go at them for poor performances. I’m sure if ppl knew that certain players were playing under an injury cloud for the betterment of the team it would sway ppls thinking about said player. Not saying that this is the case, but they whinge about players getting a bad rep on social media… just be open and honest and we will probably be a tad more considerate and appreciate they player putting in for the team instead of not being committed…
Just a thought….

Nofo has had like 3 good games in 5 years.

He's as good as done.
He should be shown the door immediately.
I wouldn't even have him playing cup spreading his ego and toxic attitude through the grades.
He might be done or he might be injured. He might have an ego or he might be trying to improve the team by holding others accountable for their mistakes (isn't that what many here praised Hastings for) or both or neither.

He's had a few more than 3 good games in 5 years though. Another Kelly Barnes recipient that apparently somehow received the award despite rarely ever performing.

Back