David Nofoaluma #164

It’s not a bandwagon if he actually pulls his finger out and has a crack. I’ll support that

You don’t need a coach to tell you not to call out teammates on twitter. Also don’t need a coach to tell you it’s a team sport and it’s about getting the best out of your team mates as well.
Yes I agree to a point, he had the right to have a shot at his inside men. Most time the attack had three players over when they reached Nofa. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out its not his fault when there’s a 3 player overlap. Should he have said anything about his inside man, no. But there was a lot of pressure from social media blaming him for everything. Again, is he a perfect defender, no. Is he as bad as you lot put out, No. when your defence as a team is poor, u often push in leaving overlaps, we did come last so I’d say our overall defence was poor.
Everyone waxes lyrical about how great twal is in defence because of his stats. But I have watched him closely and find he’s often lazy in defence, not pushing up in the line. Which causes a massive roll on for the opposition. He tackles his man but the end result is poor for the team. But people chose to ignore these facts!

Yes I agree to a point, he had the right to have a shot at his inside men. Most time the attack had three players over when they reached Nofa. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out its not his fault when there’s a 3 player overlap. Should he have said anything about his inside man, no. But there was a lot of pressure from social media blaming him for everything. Again, is he a perfect defender, no. Is he as bad as you lot put out, No. when your defence as a team is poor, u often push in leaving overlaps, we did come last so I’d say our overall defence was poor.
Everyone waxes lyrical about how great twal is in defence because of his stats. But I have watched him closely and find he’s often lazy in defence, not pushing up in the line. Which causes a massive roll on for the opposition. He tackles his man but the end result is poor for the team. But people chose to ignore these facts!
You are right about Twal - people crap on about his effective tackle rate but ignore the post contact metres he allows and slow line speed.

As for Nofa's defence - he simply struggles to read numbers regardless of who is inside him. It has been a problem since the 20s.

I don’t think it’s as simple as either being with or against noffa. I’ve said many times he should be one of our first picked (as well as brooks) based on first grade standards. I was against loaning him out last year because it weakened our team significantly. He is a good solid first grade winger. I’m not expecting him to make 3 on 1 tackles in a weak side.

I agree the media pressure would have been hard to deal with.

I dislike his attitude. Pointing this finger at lesser team mates who make a mistake. Similar to why I would find it hard if Moses joined our club again. It’s a poor leadership trait from a senior player. His 5 year deal only exaggerates this because it seems like he’s got a sense of entitlement rather than working hard as a senior player at a struggling club.

Also: thanks for your insight on Twal. I haven’t noticed this myself so I will be paying more attention this season.

Nofo did not want to go and you could not force him to,also don't forget who was pushing Nofo's cart over the last few years (Hint it was not Madge who got Nofo a pay rise AND a long contract extension)
Yea, that deal sucks.

500k and 5 years. It should have been a clear one or the other. Realistically his value is pushing 350k and he is a defensive liability.

Also: thanks for your insight on Twal. I haven’t noticed this myself so I will be paying more attention this season.
Hopefully we don’t see it coz the coaches have already identified that issue and have worked on resolving it.
They’re the little coaching methods that seperate the average v the thorough coaches.
At least , I hope that’s what happens 🤣

Thanks for the heads up! They’ll all be on the bandwagon when he starts smashing in the try’s! Typical local talent haters, let me get this straight hate Benji, hate Farah, hate Nofa, hate brooks, hate Fitzhenry, hate Sheens. See the similarities????
But love Potter go figure?!?!?!
Won’t be basing my support of players of this forum, god who do they support??
I’ve watched Nofa since he was a kid and won the under 20’s comp with Payton and Koroibete. Always a great runner of the ball from the dirty end. Just remember all these issues with the Nof, have come from some really poor coaching since Sheens. So cut him some slack and see how he goes this season. Let’s face it his inside man has been crap for quite some time. Probably since Lawrence.
Alltheway,I love your enthusiastic support for the team and club as it should be,having said that,you should also understand many of us as members,fans and supporters have over the years had reasons to criticize all those you mentioned EXCEPT Potter,he wasnt given the chance Sheens was and it was Farah who seemed to be the catalist at the time...Im all for fan favourites,and Im all for fair criticism when deserved,Nofo has been here with us since his junior days,his huge extention deal by Lee and co should not have been for that long,but now we have to hope he shows his top game this year,we all need it.....

Last edited:
Yea, that deal sucks.

500k and 5 years. It should have been a clear one or the other. Realistically his value is pushing 350k and he is a defensive liability.
Call it blind loyalty or whatever, but Nofos deal is was it is, so we move on.
I’m hoping his stint in Melbourne helped fine tune a few rough edges but let’s not forget he does know how to score a try, and that alone is an important attribute.
I’m waiting to watch a few games, with him in it, before I write him off as an overpaid player.
My biggest beef was that he always seemed to be near a leak to the media, but given that problem seems to have been resolved, we just need to assess him on his on field activities.

Thanks for the heads up! They’ll all be on the bandwagon when he starts smashing in the try’s! Typical local talent haters, let me get this straight hate Benji, hate Farah, hate Nofa, hate brooks, hate Fitzhenry, hate Sheens. See the similarities????
But love Potter go figure?!?!?!
Won’t be basing my support of players of this forum, god who do they support??
I’ve watched Nofa since he was a kid and won the under 20’s comp with Payton and Koroibete. Always a great runner of the ball from the dirty end. Just remember all these issues with the Nof, have come from some really poor coaching since Sheens. So cut him some slack and see how he goes this season. Let’s face it his inside man has been crap for quite some time. Probably since Lawrence.
OK, fair take, I'll cut him some slack but only if he defends well from round 1 onwards. He has a bigger option of himself than he should and that is like a red flag to a bull for me as I'm very sick of failure.

One thing all those guys have in common that Nof doesn’t was they never blamed their teammates for poor performances & never said going to another club was a ‘promotion.’
Let’s be real if u don’t think going to the storm is an upgrade from what our team has been shelling out over the past 5 seasons. Then u really have no idea. On blaming his teammates, well he’s not wrong. I agree he probably shouldn’t say anything and just cop their crap defence in silence but with all the haters in this club on social media it’s not surprising that his frustration has got the better of him. What I will say is he loves the club more than most who currently play for us!

Nofo is a good winger ,good finisher , not error prone and I have no idea what's inside his head and at this stage not even rd1 I don't care .Lets see how team goes and I support all 17 next Sunday .Give it a rest
It appears the only definite positions in our side at the moment, are our much maligned halves. Nofa, Laurie, Stains, and the whole backline, plus a few forwards would be a wait and see proposition. We don't as yet know who will end up where, but Nofo and the whole side will benefit from our roster changes,and different coaching style. It will be a rollercoaster ride till the mid point of the year. I can't imagine what the makeup of the side will be at the half way point.

Sorry lost thread...
People were talking about Nofo and moving Daine Laurie to the wing.
Daine Laurie is 181cm, one of the shortest in our backline.
Brent Naden is taller 183, Nofo is 1 cm taller at 182, Ken M is 6"3 aka 191 cm.

I have huge problems moving short guys or even shorter guys to the wing. Whenever a team can't score they put up a high bomb over the goal line and hope their winger can outreach the opposing winger.

Yes the Fox is an exception, yet he has had melbourne tough as nails coaching to deal with defensive inadequacies.

Lets not coach/guide Laurie into a position he won't be physically be able to perform his best at. I would rather see Daine at Center where there are less high balls, maybe 5/8. He would have to seriously muscle up though.

Sorry lost thread...
People were talking about Nofo and moving Daine Laurie to the wing.
Daine Laurie is 181cm, one of the shortest in our backline.
Brent Naden is taller 183, Nofo is 1 cm taller at 182, Ken M is 6"3 aka 191 cm.

I have huge problems moving short guys or even shorter guys to the wing. Whenever a team can't score they put up a high bomb over the goal line and hope their winger can outreach the opposing winger.

Yes the Fox is an exception, yet he has had melbourne tough as nails coaching to deal with defensive inadequacies.

Lets not coach/guide Laurie into a position he won't be physically be able to perform his best at. I would rather see Daine at Center where there are less high balls, maybe 5/8. He would have to seriously muscle up though.
I’d be shocked if Naden is just 2cm taller than Laurie, he looks more 6ft 2+ to me

Back