Dragons to dominate Wollongong

crazycat

I keep hammering on this point. We need our area.

Leichardt/Balmain is going to be overcrowded by a pool of people who can contribute but not make a modern NRL team.

The Dragons, being smart have set up their centre of Excellence in Wollongong.
This means they get nice country kids from Picton and surrounding areas on the south coast. They also tap into the Camden/Macarthur areas.

THIS SUCKS.

Penrith dominate a Rugby league area at the foot of the mountains. That pool of Juniors has brought them their current awesome squad.

We should be positioning ourselves the same. Nope lets compete with:
Souths
Easts
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Bulldogs

For everyone in the Sydney basin. It has worked so SO well for us.

Not saying we have to move to Campbelltown. We needed a solid presence there and a way to mine the local Junior talent. We missed Israel Filou, GI and had Ryan P and others come from there. Instead, it's likely the talent around Campbelltown will be going the distance south in the Red and White.

The Macarthur region boasts one of the richest pools of rugby league talent in the world. Wests Tigers is fostering young players from Junior League through to the NRL. This pathway progresses through Development Squads, Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams, Under 20s, Ron Massey Cup and Intrust Super Premiership.
Are you saying that this side of the joint venture is under threat?
I need to know more about the Balmain sort of things.
I think it's a business model that I can't quiet get a grip of, however the club itself appears to be healthy. Thoughts?
It's not addressing your points though, where is the solution?

Leichardt/Balmain is going to be overcrowded by a pool of people who can contribute but not make a modern NRL team.

This means they get nice country kids from Picton and surrounding areas on the south coast. They also tap into the Camden/Macarthur areas.

THIS SUCKS.

Penrith dominate a Rugby league area at the foot of the mountains. That pool of Juniors has brought them their current awesome squad.

Souths
Easts
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Bulldogs

Not saying we have to move to Campbelltown. We needed a solid presence there and a way to mine the local Junior talent. We missed Israel Filou, GI and had Ryan P and others come from there. Instead, it's likely the talent around Campbelltown will be going the distance south in the Red and White.
i live in Picton mate. our halves pairing that went thru HM undefeated last year played for the Picton Magpies and Thirlmere Roosters. there’s nothing to worry about there, WT have finally gotten their act together in Group 6.

THIS SUCKS.

Souths
Easts
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Bulldogs

the Illawarra area have been raided by the Raiders of late,lol, seems our club is going all out in the Cambo - Mac district,as large as sydney gets it just getting smaller,stake a claim and defend it,let St g know to pz off

The Macarthur region boasts one of the richest pools of rugby league talent in the world. Wests Tigers is fostering young players from Junior League through to the NRL. This pathway progresses through Development Squads, Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams, Under 20s, Ron Massey Cup and Intrust Super Premiership.

Yep. Dragons shmagons, who cares.
All our juniors are ahead of them I think.
As far as developing them, we're 2
years ahead of them with bigger
and better region to pick & chose from.
We're on the up, new COE at UWS
Campbelltown would be massive.

Yep. Dragons shmagons, who cares.
All our juniors are ahead of them I think.
As far as developing them, we're 2
years ahead of them with bigger
and better region to pick & chose from.
We're on the up, new COE at UWS
Campbelltown would be massive.
Dragons have always seemed broke for the last 15? yrs

It’s worth noting that the Balmain junior league is one of the biggest junior leagues and is slowly absorbing the Roosters junior league as they don’t have enough teams. We need to focus on both areas as our areas.

Having the first grade side training at concord with the centre of excellence makes sense as it’s more central. Having junior development centres in MacArthur is also a sensible idea. The club has got the right idea

Back in 05 or 06 I remember reading that there were around a dozen clubs within the BTJRL which had well over a hundred teams.
After reading this and what Wests had to offer I thought the merger really had a future especially after winning in 05.
I wonder what it's like now, are there more or less teams? 🤔
Has Western Suburbs juniors increased or decreased in teams since 05.
The reason I'm asking is an increase in numbers would surely indicate a healthy growth in the junior base and the opposite if numbers are decreasing. 🤔 Unless it's a consolidated effort with a better structure. 🤔

THIS SUCKS.

Souths
Easts
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Bulldogs

As I said in another thread ...lets jump into the Qld Cup ride in on Tom Terrifics and Noel Kelly's coat tails and link with Ipswich

It’s worth noting that the Balmain junior league is one of the biggest junior leagues and is slowly absorbing the Roosters junior league as they don’t have enough teams. We need to focus on both areas as our areas.

Having the first grade side training at concord with the centre of excellence makes sense as it’s more central. Having junior development centres in MacArthur is also a sensible idea. The club has got the right idea
Exactly what I was referring to as their business model.
We can only go on by what is reported in the media and we know how accurate that is hey.
Not only do you have to cater for junior development at ground level but you have to have a business to sustain growth and quality....I certainly don't have access to what's in the "in and out trays"

As I said in another thread ...lets jump into the Qld Cup ride in on Tom Terrifics and Noel Kelly's coat tails and link with Ipswich
I'm not joking ...as I said in those comments Ipswich State High School produced 11 players from one side who signed NRL contracts 2 years ago

You have Ipswich Grammar .....St Edmunds .....West Moreton ....St Peters Claver ......Rosewood High .....Bremer High

Just from Ippy Grammar and Ippy High alone you could pick an SOO side from the 80's onwards ....

I don't jest ...we want big ...we have to think big ...ask Melbourne

I'm not joking ...as I said in those comments Ipswich State High School produced 11 players from one side who signed NRL contracts 2 years ago

You have Ipswich Grammar .....St Edmunds .....West Moreton ....St Peters Claver ......Rosewood High .....Bremer High

Just from Ippy Grammar and Ippy High alone you could pick an SOO side from the 80's onwards ....

I don't jest ...we want big ...we have to think big ...ask Melbourne
we mined some gold from schools in the early days,do you know if we are aligned to any at the moment

If Balmain JRL are one of the biggest district comps then great work by all....it wasnt too long ago they were one of the smallest, Wests Penrith Parra Souths Canterbury Saints & Sharks wouldve had them covered...Ive been outta the loop for some time

If Balmain JRL are one of the biggest district comps then great work by all....it wasnt too long ago they were one of the smallest, Wests Penrith Parra Souths Canterbury Saints & Sharks wouldve had them covered...Ive been outta the loop for some time
shame they all canned the weekly magazines

Back