Dt article how ivan cleaned up wt.

Can’t have cleaned up that much considering most on here consider us wooden spooners.

The trial match tackle that told Ivan Cleary the Wests Tigers are now united
Paul Crawley, NRL, The Daily Telegraph
March 2, 2018 7:30pm
Subscriber only
THEY always tell us, don’t get carried away with NRL trial match performances.

But on stage at the Wests Tigers season launch this week, Ivan Cleary spoke of one particular pre-season tackle.

After six years of back-stabbing and constant turmoil at the club, this was Cleary’s highlight heading into the 2018 season.

BEHIND THE SCENES: More to Suli than meets the eye

LAST: Brooks the final man standing

A moment that displayed camaraderie and commitment among the players.

In his understated way, Cleary mentioned a tackle that occurred midway through the second half in last week’s loss to Cronulla.

unnamed.jpg

At that point the Tigers were trailing 20-6 when Ben Matulino zoned in on Matt Prior and forced the turnover.

Cleary made out he didn’t recall who made the tackle.
\
\
Matulino is one of the Tigers most important purchases.
Don’t worry, the coach would have known exactly that it was Matulino who made the hit.

Just as it was Matulino who came up with a first tackle error after the Tigers’ previous try that led to his team defending three straight sets on their tryline.

To everyone else looking on, this moment would not have rated a mention post-match.

But Cleary said what stuck in his mind was how players came rushing from everywhere to congratulate the defence.

Little moments like these are what he has been working towards since he took charge at the club.

You can see the embarrassment on Cleary’s face every time someone mentions that “on the bus” remark he made last year.

But as much as the reference makes him cringe, Matulino’s hit, and just as importantly the subsequent reaction from players, was in every essence exactly what being “on the bus” is all about.

“To be successful, especially in this competition, everyone needs talented players,” Cleary explained.

“But it is amazing what you can get going with a team that all works together.”

From the moment Cleary walked through the door last year that has been his prime motivation, to bring this playing group back together.

And it hasn’t been easy.

There was the decision last year from James Tedesco and Aaron Woods to walk away, while Mitchell Moses had a contract pulled.

At the time Cleary made no apologises but plenty, including me, questioned why he wouldn’t fight harder to keep a player with Moses’s talent at the club.
\
\
The Tigers have been emboirled in turmoil for some time.
Cleary obviously had his reasons.

He saw what was going on behind closed doors.

For six straight seasons the joint was an ongoing joke, overrun by constant bitching among the playing group that ultimately led to the sacking of Tim Sheens, Mick Potter and Jason Taylor.

Cleary could see what needed to change, and he had the experience to put in place a system that had worked for him at the Warriors and Penrith.

It included making tough decisions.

Afer losing Woods, Cleary brought in Matulino and Russell Packer who he coached previously at the Warriors in almost a two-for-one deal, along with Josh Reynolds and Chris McQueen who have their own point to prove.

But when the squad was standing on stage at the season launch what stood out most was not any one player, but the entire group as one.

“This is my 12th year in coaching and I have only ever had this type of situation, trying to build a team I guess from the bottom,” Cleary said.

“So I have experience and I have seen what works and what doesn’t.

“And I know one thing, if you can get a team to bond together you are going to get results.”

Cleary won’t make any bold predictions about where the Tigers will finish in 2018.

And while the Tigers don’t want to use it as an excuse, they have by everyone’s estimation the toughest start of any team.

Kicking off against premiership favourites the Sydney Roosters next Saturday night, they meet reigning premiers Melbourne in round two followed by Brisbane, Parramatta and Melbourne again in round five.
\
\
Have things finally changed at Wests Tigers?
That’s the entire top four teams from last year, including the premiers twice.

It could break their season before it gets started.

But will it break the group is the real question.

“We are very new as a team,” Cleary said.

“We are starting a different style of culture.

“It is going to take a bit of time and it will get really tested in games.

“I guess there are more questions than answers at the moment.

“We all know where we want to end up.

“You get up every day, you know where you want to end up.

“The thing for us right now is because we are so new we just have to focus on picking off some small milestone, build some momentum and the whole thing comes together.”

Moments like Matulino’s tackle is just the starting point.

@ said:
Can’t have cleaned up that much considering most on here consider us wooden spooners.

Come on Gunners,lets be positive,I think we can be top 8 candidates this year….hope they bought him a new mop and bucket,the old one wasnt doing its job... :laughing:

@ said:
@ said:

Come on Gunners,lets be positive,I think we can be top 8 candidates this year….hope they bought him a new mop and bucket,the old one wasnt doing its job... :laughing:

Mate, I think we are in for a better year than most. Cleary has turned the place around.

@ said:
Subscriber only

But on stage at the Wests Tigers season launch this week, Ivan Cleary spoke of one particular pre-season tackle.

After six years of back-stabbing and constant turmoil at the club, this was Cleary’s highlight heading into the 2018 season.

In his understated way, Cleary mentioned a tackle that occurred midway through the second half in last week’s loss to Cronulla.

unnamed.jpg

At that point the Tigers were trailing 20-6 when Ben Matulino zoned in on Matt Prior and forced the turnover.

\
\
Don’t worry, the coach would have known exactly that it was Matulino who made the hit.

Just as it was Matulino who came up with a first tackle error after the Tigers’ previous try that led to his team defending three straight sets on their tryline.

To everyone else looking on, this moment would not have rated a mention post-match.

But Cleary said what stuck in his mind was how players came rushing from everywhere to congratulate the defence.

Little moments like these are what he has been working towards since he took charge at the club.

You can see the embarrassment on Cleary’s face every time someone mentions that “on the bus” remark he made last year.

But as much as the reference makes him cringe, Matulino’s hit, and just as importantly the subsequent reaction from players, was in every essence exactly what being “on the bus” is all about.

“To be successful, especially in this competition, everyone needs talented players,” Cleary explained.

From the moment Cleary walked through the door last year that has been his prime motivation, to bring this playing group back together.

And it hasn’t been easy.

There was the decision last year from James Tedesco and Aaron Woods to walk away, while Mitchell Moses had a contract pulled.

At the time Cleary made no apologises but plenty, including me, questioned why he wouldn’t fight harder to keep a player with Moses’s talent at the club.
\
\

For six straight seasons the joint was an ongoing joke, overrun by constant b**** among the playing group that ultimately led to the sacking of Tim Sheens, Mick Potter and Jason Taylor.

Cleary could see what needed to change, and he had the experience to put in place a system that had worked for him at the Warriors and Penrith.

Afer losing Woods, Cleary brought in Matulino and Russell Packer who he coached previously at the Warriors in almost a two-for-one deal, along with Josh Reynolds and Chris McQueen who have their own point to prove.

But when the squad was standing on stage at the season launch what stood out most was not any one player, but the entire group as one.

“This is my 12th year in coaching and I have only ever had this type of situation, trying to build a team I guess from the bottom,” Cleary said.

“And I know one thing, if you can get a team to bond together you are going to get results.”

Cleary won’t make any bold predictions about where the Tigers will finish in 2018.

And while the Tigers don’t want to use it as an excuse, they have by everyone’s estimation the toughest start of any team.

Kicking off against premiership favourites the Sydney Roosters next Saturday night, they meet reigning premiers Melbourne in round two followed by Brisbane, Parramatta and Melbourne again in round five.
\
\

“The thing for us right now is because we are so new we just have to focus on picking off some small milestone, build some momentum and the whole thing comes together.”

Thanks LT for posting the article…..

I’ve seen a few with Matulino on their bench behind Twal. No chance in hell. Matulino will be one of our best this year.

Only a few more days of fluff…then the real stuff actually starts..in honour of yesterday.

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!

Bring on the footy please..

Enough fluff articles… Bring on R1!!

@ said:
Subscriber only

unnamed.jpg

\
\

And it hasn’t been easy.

\
\

For six straight seasons the joint was an ongoing joke, overrun by constant b**** among the playing group that ultimately led to the sacking of Tim Sheens, Mick Potter and Jason Taylor.

\
\

Thanks mate.
\
\
I wish they put more detail around this parragraph.

six straight seasons the joint was an ongoing joke, overrun by constant b**** among the playing group that ultimately led to the sacking of Tim Sheens, Mick Potter and Jason Taylor.

I suppose positive fluff pieces do ware thin with many ….the old off season dramas coupled with front or rear page paper negative and divisive articles are the ones a lot miss. What a great off season for the Club in general all on the same page and grub journalists having to cringe to write positive fluff pieces about our club ....actually I love fluff pieces and also being on the BUS !on the expressway to the finals..Bring on Saturday :sign:

@ said:
I suppose positive fluff pieces do ware thin with many ….the old off season dramas coupled with front or rear page paper negative and divisive articles are the ones a lot miss. What a great off season for the Club in general all on the same page and grub journalists having to cringe to write positive fluff pieces about our club ....actually I love fluff pieces and also being on the BUS !on the expressway to the finals..Bring on Saturday :sign:

Did you like Luke Brooks latest one ?…I did..very positive

@ said:
I’ve seen a few with Matulino on their bench behind Twal. No chance in hell. Matulino will be one of our best this year.

Hope Ivan encourages him to use his offload. Didn't use it much under Kearney.

God I hope Ivan isnt the next mick Potter. Potter also had started cleaning the joint out, we was the first to turn on the hose, but when he wasnt backed by stunning results, back stabbers got rid of him..

I realise many of the stabbers are gone now, but it is unrealistic that we are going to have instant results and i hope ivan is ranted the time to turn things around.

@ said:

Probably more a reflection of the condition of Mats knee rather than his relative ability.

@ said:
God I hope Ivan isnt the next mick Potter. Potter also had started cleaning the joint out, we was the first to turn on the hose, but when he wasnt backed by stunning results, back stabbers got rid of him..

I realise many of the stabbers are gone now, but it is unrealistic that we are going to have instant results and i hope ivan is ranted the time to turn things around.

I hope people aren't expecting instant results. You can't turn a 15th placed side into a premiership force in 1 off-season. We'll get there but its gonna take 2 or 3 seasons.

Its a results based game Ivan knows that.If they are camped down the bottom of the ladder without showing signs of improvement he will feel the heat just like those before him. Its all rosy atm but things can turn very quickly once the comp starts especially if you are losing.

@ said:

I have to agree Glennb,if only Potter could have had the same then as Ivan has now,I honestly think he would of been great for us…what we can say about him is that he truly was the start of the big cleanout that is now happening..
Ivan could very well repay us with a tremendous season 2018,time will tell....

Latest posts

Back