F1 2021

Enjoyed the race last night. Watched with my 2x eldest sons.

Happy for Ocon who is a rags to riches story.

Hungry is usually a boring race.

@hobbo1 said in [F1 2021](/post/1434490) said:
@cultured_bogan said in [F1 2021](/post/1434489) said:
Good to see a different finish to Hungary. Good on Ocon, was in the right place at the right time, and held his nerve the whole race. Thought he was odds on to bottle it but hung on. Just glad Vettel didn't win. Good drive by Alonso to hold off Hamilton for as long as he did as well, just did way too many laps on the hard tyres to keep him at bay when he had fresher medium compounds.

Hamilton should have won but the rest of the field hung him out to dry and to left him out there on the intermediates ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Verstappen mails a bomb to Mercedes after the last two races.

?
You’d be punching on with the Mercedes boys behind the podium.. I would !

Effectively ruined Verstappen and Riccardo's races. Both were too damaged to mount any sort of.threat.

@cultured_bogan said in [F1 2021](/post/1434541) said:
@hobbo1 said in [F1 2021](/post/1434490) said:
@cultured_bogan said in [F1 2021](/post/1434489) said:
Good to see a different finish to Hungary. Good on Ocon, was in the right place at the right time, and held his nerve the whole race. Thought he was odds on to bottle it but hung on. Just glad Vettel didn't win. Good drive by Alonso to hold off Hamilton for as long as he did as well, just did way too many laps on the hard tyres to keep him at bay when he had fresher medium compounds.

Hamilton should have won but the rest of the field hung him out to dry and to left him out there on the intermediates ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Verstappen mails a bomb to Mercedes after the last two races.

?
You’d be punching on with the Mercedes boys behind the podium.. I would !

Effectively ruined Verstappen and Riccardo's races. Both were too damaged to mount any sort of.threat.

Yeah just bought my first tv last week ?

Good to see a different winner for sure, particularly as Hungary is such a hard track to overtake on. Looking forward to Spa which is after the summer break.

Was thinking during the race as each lapped passed with the clearly faster Hamilton unable to get through, that Alonso might just keep him at bay long enough for Ocon to win after he himself denied Vettel his one shot at victory.

Ricciardo can consider himself unlucky considering he would have been in second spot after bowling ball Bottas' wipeout had Stroll not done similarly. Still, he has been mostly underwhelming thus far this season without looking unwieldy. I would suggest he needs to push the boundaries a lot more in practice sessions to find the true (failure) level of the car and particularly so on corners with good run off areas. Even if he bins it on occasions towards the end of sessions, further car pace is there to be utilised and he needs to get much closer to it's limitations rather than seemingly treading water.

Good to see Jack Doohan move up a place to now be second in the F3 championship after a mixed three races.

@formerguest said in [F1 2021](/post/1434688) said:
Was thinking during the race as each lapped passed with the clearly faster Hamilton unable to get through, that Alonso might just keep him at bay long enough for Ocon to win after he himself denied Vettel his one shot at victory.

Ricciardo can consider himself unlucky considering he would have been in second spot after bowling ball Bottas' wipeout had Stroll not done similarly. Still, he has been mostly underwhelming thus far this season without looking unwieldy. I would suggest he needs to push the boundaries a lot more in practice sessions to find the true (failure) level of the car and particularly so on corners with good run off areas. Even if he bins it on occasions towards the end of sessions, further car pace is there to be utilised and he needs to get much closer to it's limitations rather than seemingly treading water.

Good to see Jack Doohan move up a place to now be second in the F3 championship after a mixed three races.

Considering young Doohan is only 17, he's developing nicely having experienced F3 last year. Unfortunately Australia's problem is the lack of sponsorship and bringing a 'paid' driver to the table - we get there on pure racing talent.

@willow said in [F1 2021](/post/1435080) said:
@formerguest said in [F1 2021](/post/1434688) said:

Considering young Doohan is only 17, he's developing nicely having experienced F3 last year. Unfortunately Australia's problem is the lack of sponsorship and bringing a 'paid' driver to the table - we get there on pure racing talent.

Jack might have gotten a bit lucky with the rain in qualifying yesterday, but nailed the lap that his team asked him to early on before heavier falls arrived and held on as the track dried out.

Having achieved pole position for the feature race, he will start from 12th on the partial reversed grid in the first race for which coverage begins in a half hour or so at 6pm on Kayo or Foxtel.

@cultured_bogan said in [F1 2021](/post/1421131) said:
@happy_tiger said in [F1 2021](/post/1421127) said:
@cultured_bogan said in [F1 2021](/post/1421121) said:
@happy_tiger said in [F1 2021](/post/1421107) said:
@willow said in [F1 2021](/post/1421052) said:
@formerguest said in [F1 2021](/post/1421044) said:
Being an Alonso fan behind the Aussies and with Piastri's efforts, it was a good weekend of formula racing through my eyes, with Fernando charging up the field at the start of the sprint qualifying and Daniel getting up to speed in quali, then resisting the faster Ferrari.

Glad that Max is okay, but similarly happy to see him in the tyres, as for mine whenever the other driver doesn't yield position to him, an incident with him such as Baku 2018 and Sunday's will always occur.

Agree with your sentiments regarding Max, glad he's ok but his problem is that he never backs out of a fight and that will sometimes carry consequences. That's his mentality though, his old man might not have been the most talented driver but he's certainly an arrogant individual which he has passed onto his son, who is infinitely more talented.

I'm keeping a close eye on Piastri as he is really our next big hope - as much as I like Ricciardo, I can't see him winning a WC. Next year's new regulations and cars may suit him more, but it's going to take a mammoth effort from McLaren to get ahead of Mercedes and RB and be in contention for a WC. Their facilities are still outdated and their new wind tunnel can't come quick enough for them.

Is it just me or does Ricciardo's heart not seem to be in it anymore ....

No I think it is, he is just one of those drivers that takes time to adapt to a new car. His second year at Renault was markedly better than his first. He's a top six driver IMO.

Is he guaranteed a drive at McLaren next year .....Can't remember if it was Zak Brown or Seidl speaking about his disappointment in his results this season ...sounded like an ominous warning to me .....

Well yes they will want return on investment, they paid very good money for him. I believe he is on $13m a season. He's won half a dozen races, Vettel is on the same money at Aston Martin and he's won four championships.

I'll give him to the end of this season. If he can podium a few times that'll be a good indicator of where he'll be at for next year.

I’m not overly confident on him coming good this year. I think there are a number of things against him at the moment. The car obviously doesn’t suit him and they aren’t going to spend the time or development tokens to bring it to him with regs changing next year anyway.

If he can’t produce something next year though he may struggle to see out his contract.

@spartan117 said in [F1 2021](/post/1456418) said:
Looking fwd to Spa this weekend

Yeah, easily one of my favourites and should see Ricciardo performing a bit better here at a mostly flowing track.

For anyone that might be interested, I watched what I found to be an interesting half hour or so interview of Aussie and current F2 leader Oscar Piastri on Kayo last night. Think the show was called Beneath the Bonnet or something similar and looking forward to seeing him on track at Monza in a fortnight.

@formerguest said in [F1 2021](/post/1471474) said:
May I suggest anyone who likes F1 to switch it on now.

Just turned it on, what happened?

@cochise said in [F1 2021](/post/1471484) said:
@formerguest said in [F1 2021](/post/1471474) said:
May I suggest anyone who likes F1 to switch it on now.

Just turned it on, what happened?

SPOILER ALERT!

Ricciardo nailed the start to lead into the first corner and looking like lights to flag for his first win since Monaco 2018.

Well Dan ...I admit I wrote you off ...never been so happy to have been so wrong

Congrats ...great drive

Shoey time

![Screenshot_20210913-010453_Gallery.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1631459164103-screenshot_20210913-010453_gallery.jpg)

Back