Favourite Leichhardt Oval moment

Vs Souths in 2005\. In the middle of the 8 game winning streak. Massive crowd, huge atmosphere and a big win for Tigers. Winning that game saw the Tigers pretty safe for the semis for the first time. The day after the grand final at LO was a great day as well.

@NJLM78 said:
Vs Souths in 2005\. In the middle of the 8 game winning streak. Massive crowd, huge atmosphere and a big win for Tigers. Winning that game saw the Tigers pretty safe for the semis for the first time. The day after the grand final at LO was a great day as well.

Yeah i was there at both events what an atmosphere . Vs Souffs they were on the roof Tops and a Day bathed in sunshine to.

@Tiger Watto said:
But my favourite game was definitely the Storm Salary Cap Scandal game… The Crowd gave it to them all game, even my wife!

My favourite also. I remember after the game, Smith was asked about the abuse he copped from the crowd. He said at another ground it would have been bad, but at Leichhardt there were so may people giving it to him that it all become white noise.

As a kid i remember Larry Corowa scoring his first try,gee he was quick,i also have fond memories of the wet night Simona smoked Melbourne,sitting with the Melbourne supporters was priceless !

@Goose said:
My Favourite ever was as a young fella Wayne Pearce doing his farewell lap and shaking mine (and everyone elses hand) Still my favourite player. Ive told my Its a knock out story on here,which solidified me as a tigers fan, loved him ever since.
My fav for the joint was a bit of Beau Ryan magic with a kick chase in the corner against Canberra on a Sunday arvo to win the game.

Seem to remember Fitzy scoring a runaway try from the scrum that day too to really seal the deal.

@simonthetiger said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ovJ5F9le4

That was great. Happened right in front of me in the old seats we had before the front office f….d our membership up. One of the worst pieces of refereeing I have ever seen also. If I recall correctly, after Watts' initial dog shot, Robbie said something to Hayne along the lines of "If you don't take care of it I will". Did he take care of it? Did he what!

@Telltails said:
@Goose said:
My Favourite ever was as a young fella Wayne Pearce doing his farewell lap and shaking mine (and everyone elses hand) Still my favourite player. Ive told my Its a knock out story on here,which solidified me as a tigers fan, loved him ever since.
My fav for the joint was a bit of Beau Ryan magic with a kick chase in the corner against Canberra on a Sunday arvo to win the game.

Seem to remember Fitzy scoring a runaway try from the scrum that day too to really seal the deal.

Yes, that is the game, I was going to mention Fitzy as well, but positive Fitzy moments get shot down on here for some reason :slight_smile:

Was a great win that one.

@larrycorowa said:
Watching Larry Corowa - The Black Flash - streaming down the touchline. The crowd used to rise to their feet every time he got the ball.

The only other player i've this happen for is The Black Pearl - Ellery Hanley.

Anyone starting to feel the same way about Tedesco ??

Every time he touches the ball , you feel something is going to happen

@happy tiger said:
@larrycorowa said:
Watching Larry Corowa - The Black Flash - streaming down the touchline. The crowd used to rise to their feet every time he got the ball.

The only other player i've this happen for is The Black Pearl - Ellery Hanley.

Anyone starting to feel the same way about Tedesco ??

Every time he touches the ball , you feel something is going to happen

Lawrence for me…

I've got a few. I started going to watch Balmain in 1991, which was a pretty bad season with that waste of life Alan Jones coaching. Our first win of the season was in round 9, 14-4 over the broncos in front of a home crowd. That got me hooked as an 8 year old.

There's a bunch of great Leichardt moments for me. Here's one that stands out as a time I went went absolutely apes##t on the hill. This try's got everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IildDyAahHE. Round 16 2013 against the storm.

Playing there between Reserve grade and 1st, as an Under 7's & 8's for Balmain Police Boys during the late 70's battles. Such a buzz for a kid, turns you into a Tiger for life.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4_

@Cosimo_Zaretti said:
I've got a few. I started going to watch Balmain in 1991, which was a pretty bad season with that waste of life Alan Jones coaching. Our first win of the season was in round 9, 14-4 over the broncos in front of a home crowd. That got me hooked as an 8 year old.

There's a bunch of great Leichardt moments for me. Here's one that stands out as a time I went went absolutely apes##t on the hill. This try's got everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IildDyAahHE. Round 16 2013 against the storm.

I was on the hill in the rain that night, small crowd that made a lot of noise. It was a brilliant try.

@yeti said:
Like all of you, I had some amazing times out at Leichhardt - when I was a kid watching Balmain - sitting there on the hill and the planes coming directly overhead on their way to the airport.
One game - against Canterbury. We were at 28 all and only a few minutes to go. Canterbury's winger was away down the western touch line - going to score for all money. Then Len Killeen, who hardly made a tackle all year, flew through the air, grabbed the back of this guys collar and somehow managed to get him into touch. It was like we'd won the comp!
It was a crap venue 45 years ago. Must be so much worse now. But by God, it'd be sad to see it go!

You are dating yourself there Yeti, Len Killeen a blast from the past probably as good a kicker as old golden boots.

@cunno said:
@yeti said:
Like all of you, I had some amazing times out at Leichhardt - when I was a kid watching Balmain - sitting there on the hill and the planes coming directly overhead on their way to the airport.
One game - against Canterbury. We were at 28 all and only a few minutes to go. Canterbury's winger was away down the western touch line - going to score for all money. Then Len Killeen, who hardly made a tackle all year, flew through the air, grabbed the back of this guys collar and somehow managed to get him into touch. It was like we'd won the comp!
It was a crap venue 45 years ago. Must be so much worse now. But by God, it'd be sad to see it go!

You are dating yourself there Yeti, Len Killeen a blast from the past probably as good a kicker as old golden boots.

x2, cunno. cant remember ever seeing a player since who stubbed his heel into the ground to place the ball, a three step run up for a kick at goal.
best memories for me though which got the crowd on their feet, larry on the fly, the black pearl, and robbie smashing the clown from the cowboys

I remember the chant from the hill "give the ball to Corowa". he didn't need much space and had speed to burn.
I once saw him swim at Dawn Fraser Pool against Dawn Fraser and Wayne Maranda in a 50 metre freestyle race, he won that to.

@Blackpearl said:
@cunno said:
@yeti said:

x2, cunno. cant remember ever seeing a player since who stubbed his heel into the ground to place the ball, a three step run up for a kick at goal.
best memories for me though which got the crowd on their feet, larry on the fly, the black pearl, and robbie smashing the clown from the cowboys

Yeah, I know! Still, I'll be really worried when the OP reads "favourite Leichhardt moment" and my reaction is "Leichhardt? What's Leichhardt?"

from NRL.com
Wests Tigers players have made their intentions clear: We want to stay at Leichhardt.

Sunday afternoon's clash against Canberra will be the first game at the suburban venue since Balmain officially forfeited their lease late last month.

It is just one of two Wests Tigers games to be played there, with the other being their Round 13 clash against the Titans.

Beyond that, their relationship with the historic ground is up in the air. Discussions with the Leichhardt Council are ongoing, and the club's board are due to meet at the end of this month to decide on whether to now take their games elsewhere.

"It'd be very disappointing," skipper Robbie Farah said on Wednesday.

"It's no secret that I love playing there, being a local boy. The other local boys have grown up playing there for many years. It's been a part of our footy career, not only for our first grade career, but growing up as well, through our childhood.

"It would be a shame [to leave], so hopefully the club can do something to ensure we're still there for many years to come."

Five-eighth Mitchell Moses, whose uncle Ben Elias is synonymous with the famed venue, said it was his favourite ground to play at in the competition.

"I grew up playing there and it's the best ground, so close to the crowd. You can hear them when you're on the field. It's my favourite ground and if it's taken away from us it'll be pretty upsetting," he said.

"I pretty much stay out of [the boardroom talks]. But we'll be pretty upset if that's taken away from us. Hopefully it stays.

"It's always packed out… You run out looking out to that hill there, it's packed out every week no matter how the team's going. Win or lose, you know it's going to be packed out. It's just so loud, and you're so close to everything."

The Tigers will be hoping to rebound from last week's defeat in Auckland when they welcome ex-teammate Blake Austin and the Raiders on Sunday afternoon.

Austin departed Concord in search of a permanent halves position in Canberra, where he has since thrived under the coaching of Ricky Stuart.

His improvement in form hasn't reflected on the team's lowly position on the ladder, however Tigers players are certainly aware of the threat the 24-year-old poses.

"He's a good runner of the ball. He showed that in the first couple of rounds. He made a few line breaks. [But] if we stick to our structures this week, we can come away with a win," Moses said.

Farah was also quick to sing the ex-Tiger's praises.

"He's been going really well, Blake. He'd definitely be a big danger for us," Farah said.

"He loves running the ball, so for us, we have to be on our guard against him. He'll be up for a big game too against his old club.

"[They're] very similar to us, they've had some really good wins and a couple of close losses. They would've taken a lot out of the loss that they had on the weekend to Melbourne. I thought they played some good footy.

"As I said, Blake Austin's been a good addition, [Iosia] Soliola I think has been going really good for them coming back over from the Super League. It's going to be a tough game."

@Tigerdon said:
from NRL.com
\
\
It is just one of two Wests Tigers games to be played there, with the other being their Round 13 clash against the Titans.

So do we know where the Round 21 game with the Storm has been moved to yet? That game was originally listed as Leichardt.

Back