Fishing Thread

Well it didn’t first time around but maybe I need to have another go.
From where I live, Lake Eildon only an hour or so away so thinking about trialling some trout fishing .
Anyone on here got any experience with that ?
You don't need to go down the whole fly fishing routine, ive caught as many as my mate who fly fishes by just using cheap Tassi Devil lures 👍🏻

For those talking about blackfish - I used to go down to La Perouse when I was a young bloke and living in Sydney. They were always old blokes - with centrepin reels, cleats on their boots and picking weed off the rocks as bait. I watched and watched! They'd only cast their line a metre off the rocks and keep anything they caught in one of the rockpools above the water line.

I envied them so much :)

I had a go with Dunlops and a spinner rod but didn't quite work lol.

The two fish I've never caught and and promised myself I will? A blackfish and a Murray Cod.

For those talking about blackfish - I used to go down to La Perouse when I was a young bloke and living in Sydney. They were always old blokes - with centrepin reels, cleats on their boots and picking weed off the rocks as bait. I watched and watched! They'd only cast their line a metre off the rocks and keep anything they caught in one of the rockpools above the water line.

The two fish I've never caught and and promised myself I will? A blackfish and a Murray Cod.
Two methods - one is floats - a real art setting them up because you want the float to go down without much resistance. Porcupine quill floats are the best..
The other is to fish off the bottom - I hadn't really seen that until I moved to Nambucca Heads. The guys use weed with the sinker as the last piece of the rig and the hooks above it. Seems to work.

Two methods - one is floats - a real art setting them up because you want the float to go down without much resistance. Porcupine quill floats are the best..
The other is to fish off the bottom - I hadn't really seen that until I moved to Nambucca Heads. The guys use weed with the sinker as the last piece of the rig and the hooks above it. Seems to work.
Sinker on the bottom, and 2 to 3 hooks off the leader is a paternoster rig. easy to rig , and you can change sinker weights in seconds Google Paul Worstling , he has the best videos.

Sinker on the bottom, and 2 to 3 hooks off the leader is a paternoster rig. easy to rig , and you can change sinker weights in seconds Google Paul Worstling , he has the best videos.
Yep. Easy to do but for me unusual way to catch blackfish.
I use a kind of paternoster to catch tailor, salmon etc in the surf and off headlands.

I don’t get why fishing is so addictive?

My mate literally has been out fishing everyday from dawn till dusk in Tassie B9846522-F903-4A4D-B6DA-F12F209F2046.jpeg

The other method is a type of paternoster rig (excuse the spelling if wrong ) when you sinker is hitched to the bottom and you have a runner usually off a swivel about 20-30 cm off the bottom

If you want to know all about fishing Nambucca, follow a bloke named Didio. Has plenty of videos from blackfish, flathead, bream, whiting to mudcrabs reef and surface fish. He is a local and what he doesn't know about fishing Nambucca isn't worth knowing.

Black Fish along Port Macquarie break wall river end using weed, I think there might be a season for them, but I’ve fished there a lot in the past and used to get a few on white bait and yabbies. I wasn’t targeting them but they’re my uncles fav eating fish. You gotta bleed correctly and no freezer eat the within the day, otherwise they go mushy.
I was targeting bigger Bream or mid size Flathead and any other fish that wants to make it entertaining.

Jesus Christ that’s no gummy shark.
Cut that loose early no matter how expensive the lure was.
Yep I normally do , they are usually all twisted around the leader so I'm not going to try untangle them 😲

I don’t get why fishing is so addictive?

My mate literally has been out fishing everyday from dawn till dusk in Tassie View attachment 4175
I get it. I hate not catching things and will head home if there's nothing on.
People I know who don't fish regularly don't understand the 'science' behind it. They rarely catch anything and so they give up.
I was lucky enough to have brother who is anally-retentive about anything he does. He taught me so much about how to catch fish.
Because of him, I know when the type of fish I want are likely to be on the chew; I know where they're likely to be; I know what they want to eat and how to present it. (At least I think I know those things :) :) :) )
It also helps that I love eating fish. I target particular species because I love eating them.
If you can, go out with someone who actually knows what they are doing. Once you start catching things, it makes all the difference.

2 of the nicest eating fish a bloke in Sydney is likely to catch, WSB.
Nice catch, and will be a nice feed.
Well done mate.
Agree.... Whiting and flattys are delicious

I wanna get back into fishing myself... I see blokes fishing near SYD Airport at kyeemahh and I have all of Brighton Beach not far from me... Possibly flattys or 2 there and some whiting

Members online

Back