FITNESS & GYM

I've taken up mountain biking lately - not very good at it but it is fun and get my lungs burning.

@willow said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1492796) said:
I've taken up mountain biking lately - not very good at it but it is fun and get my lungs burning.

I tried it during lockdown

However my bike is quite old and ran into some issues going down a track

Hence so i nearly ended up in a pond so i haven't done it since 😂

@thedaboss said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1492839) said:

Hence so i nearly ended up in a pond so i haven't done it since ?

Yes, I went and bought a hardtail but I'm quickly learning I should have bought a full suspension bike. Mind you, I'm 100kg and need all the shock absorption I can get:joy:

@willow said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493229) said:

Yes, I went and bought a hardtail but I'm quickly learning I should have bought a full suspension bike. Mind you, I'm 100kg and need all the shock absorption I can get:joy:

I seriously got into MTB about 10 years ago and was racing at Yallowmundee. LOVED IT. Currently trying to get fit again and if I can make it I'd love to get back into it.

If you really start to get into it, I'd strongly encourage you to get out to Yellowmundee for a race. Really friendly guys and very encouraging. I came last for many races and was very excitied when I finally passed and beat someone ( I did end up going up a few grades)

@tiger5150 said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493726) said:

I seriously got into MTB about 10 years ago and was racing at Yallowmundee. LOVED IT. Currently trying to get fit again and if I can make it I'd love to get back into it.

If you really start to get into it, I'd strongly encourage you to get out to Yellowmundee for a race. Really friendly guys and very encouraging. I came last for many races and was very excitied when I finally passed and beat someone ( I did end up going up a few grades)

I can't see myself ever getting into MTB racing but I've got so many good trails close to home it has been great fun getting out and exploring them and working on my fitness. There's always someone pushing hard out there though as there was an ambulance driving some poor bugger out of the cascades trail this arvo - just glad it wasn't me!

I'll stick to competitive rifle shooting for now - the hardest part is carrying all my gear out of the car.

@willow said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493729) said:

I can't see myself ever getting into MTB racing but I've got so many good trails close to home it has been great fun getting out and exploring them and working on my fitness. There's always someone pushing hard out there though as there was an ambulance driving some poor bugger out of the cascades trail this arvo - just glad it wasn't me!

I'll stick to competitive rifle shooting for now - the hardest part is carrying all my gear out of the car.

Very cool Willow, may I ask which part of Sydney (roughly) you are in?

@tiger5150 said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493731) said:

North Shore, St Ives.

@willow said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493732) said:

North Shore, St Ives.

Ah ok. I dont know the trails around there, but there would be plenty.

@tiger5150 said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493733) said:

North Shore, St Ives.

There's heaps around St Ives - you can ride the National Park down to Roseville, or out to Belrose and Terrey Hills. It's very popular on weekends as it offers everything from blue trails through to black diamonds which I have no idea how riders make their way through. I came off the bike (going too slow) a month ago and tore ligaments in my wrist, still trying to get over that.

@willow said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493734) said:

North Shore, St Ives.

There's heaps around St Ives - you can ride the National Park down to Roseville, or out to Belrose and Terrey Hills. It's very popular on weekends as it offers everything from blue trails through to black diamonds which I have no idea how riders make their way through. I came off the bike (going too slow) a month ago and tore ligaments in my wrist, still trying to get over that.

Scariest thing I ever did on a bike was in a race at a place called Blue gums up in the Blue Mountains. It had rained overnight. There was a section of the track called "*palliative care*". It was a steep descent followed by an immediate climb, basically like a roller coaster through a gully. The whole section was made out of timber pallets and looked like a roller coaster down and up with twists and banking etc. Because it was wet they covered the timber pallets with chicken wire.

A Grade races first and at the end of the first lap I reckon 1/3 of the riders had come off at that section and there was a lot of skin missing and blood everywhere.

I raced C or D grade that day and we were warned to go and walk the section before the race. I was too scared to walk down it. We were warned NOT to brake on it. When the race came there were many warning signs leading up to it with a first aid bloke waiting at the top. Warning signs suggested getting off and walking. My first lap I bit the bullet and rode over it. No braking and slipped and slided all over it at speed. Scared the hell out of me and I walked it second lap.

@tiger5150 said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493739) said:

North Shore, St Ives.

Scariest thing I ever did on a bike was in a race at a place called Blue gums up in the Blue Mountains. It had rained overnight. There was a section of the track called "*palliative care*". It was a steep descent followed by an immediate climb, basically like a roller coaster through a gully. The whole section was made out of timber pallets and looked like a roller coaster down and up with twists and banking etc. Because it was wet they covered the timber pallets with chicken wire.

A Grade races first and at the end of the first lap I reckon 1/3 of the riders had come off at that section and there was a lot of skin missing and blood everywhere.

I raced C or D grade that day and we were warned to go and walk the section before the race. I was too scared to walk down it. We were warned NOT to brake on it. When the race came there were many warning signs leading up to it with a first aid bloke waiting at the top. Warning signs suggested getting off and walking. My first lap I bit the bullet and rode over it. No braking and slipped and slided all over it at speed. Scared the hell out of me and I walked it second lap.

Yep, I don't mind taking certain risks, but that one sounds like madness!

@willow said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493741) said:

North Shore, St Ives.

I reckon if my kids and GF werent there I might have chickened out first lap like I did second lap.

@tiger5150 said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493743) said:
@willow said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493741) said:

North Shore, St Ives.

I reckon if my kids and GF werent there I might have chickened out first lap like I did second lap.

There's no shame...I've come off the bike 4 times in front of my son now. He thinks I'll die on the MTB.

@happy_tiger said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1493742) said:
I actually drove past 3 gyms today ....does that count

You lazy bugger,to get truly fit you have to drive past twice that amount

First night back at BJJ for months tonight......a world of pain awaits.

@tiger5150 said in [FITNESS & GYM](/post/1497759) said:
First night back at BJJ for months tonight......a world of pain awaits.

Get a protein shake into you afterwards and some epsom salts in the bathtub.

I'm 3 weeks in to an ASN 60 day challenge. Down 6kgs so far so m pretty happy with that!
It's got a lot more cardio and calisthenics/bodyweight stuff than i'm used to but a change never hurts. Once i drop a few kgs i can always do a bulking cycle to gain a bit of muscle. I started at 114kgs and i'm aiming to get back into double digits. I'm 6'3" so thats still fairly slim for my size and build.
6 meals a day takes some getting used to!

Bump

How's everyone going

Unlike this club we support we can actually make progress lol

Ive increased my daily walk to 1.1km and every Friday I do 2.2km.
I've lost no weight because I eat the wrong things so that's my ongoing battle.
Since doing these walks I feel so much better especially with my breathing.
I listen to podcasts whilst I waddle.
I won't tell you how long it takes me because that's a bit embarrassing.
Walk for life as they say.

Back