Hastings - Reasons for leaving

Brooks appears to be more of an edge runner of the footy. He can create out there and did a good job. Hastings was much better in my opinion organizing in the middle.

I would have had Hastings at 7 and I think Doueihi at 6. I think Doueihi is a better edge runner than Brooks.

The issue is money comes into the picture as well and Hastings and Doueihi both appear to want big bucks. I know Brooks is reportedly on a good salary but he won't get that once his current contract is over.
Are you serious Earl, I would have to put the tv on fast forward, when they got the ball they were so slow. It would never reach the backline,.

How many did we start with?
Only 1, Brooks , then we bought a fullback that was not great at fb, moved into 5/8, that was the same result, then bought a i/2 who played in a slow super league,signed him as lock, and because our fullback turned 5/8 was slow and a bit of a ball hog, played hastings in the halves. He tried hard, but was too slow. We have since been trying to buy a good half or 5/8. I doubt it will be just one but 2 halves we will be shopping for, but time will tell.

Are you serious Earl, I would have to put the tv on fast forward, when they got the ball they were so slow. It would never reach the backline,.

I think Hastings is a better 7 than Brooks and Doueihi is a better 6 than Brooks. It's not my decision though and even though it sounds crazy maybe the coaching staff know better than me.

and the player in question missing with injury himself too. When Hastings was out we were clearly a shambles, when he was in we had results against some of the NRL's stronger teams.

There is no question that Hastings is a better half than Brooks, and he was on less money. Brooks should have been walked to Newcastle at gunpoint by our coach.

But I guess we just have to trust in the wisdom of a coach we have sacked previously for being shithouse, who then went to England where he was shithouse again.
Post of the Week.

Only 1, Brooks , then we bought a fullback that was not great at fb, moved into 5/8, that was the same result, then bought a i/2 who played in a slow super league,signed him as lock, and because our fullback turned 5/8 was slow and a bit of a ball hog, played hastings in the halves. He tried hard, but was too slow. We have since been trying to buy a good half or 5/8. I doubt it will be just one but 2 halves we will be shopping for, but time will tell.
Brooks isn't a halfback. 9 years of trash proves it

I love how when Brooks'salary comes up, you bang on about the media making stuff up etc etc, but when it's the other way around and suits your agenda it's fact. How do you know Brooks was the Knights plan A? I live in Newcastle and the whole town is stoked that they got Hastings and not Brooks.

I think Hastings is a better 7 than Brooks and Doueihi is a better 6 than Brooks. It's not my decision though and even though it sounds crazy maybe the coaching staff know better than me.
I'm sure they do ! Sheens, for all his knockers, has coached 4 teams to premiership wins, and he has been involved in the game for over 30yrs at the highest levels, Benji was a great half, captained NZ to wins over Australia, played in a premiership winning side, and recently played under some of the best coaches, with Souths, Broncos and WestsTigers. Farah was one of the best 9's to ever play the game. Furner is one of the smartest men in the game,and assistant coach. These guys would have looked at every minute of every game played this year, in great detail. They would be well aware of where our weaknesses are, and which players need to be replaced.
Some people can't see the forest, for the trees, when players don't have their contracts extended, it means the club is not confident in their ability. They have next year to prove themselves.

I don't want to detract anything from Brooksy winning the Dally M half back award...

But, let's be realistic, he beat Mitchell Pearce by a point...and Pearce missed something like ten games.

IOW Pearce was clearly the best halfback of the year that season and Luke got it by default almost.

That is NOT to detract from Luke...it is just that so many people here keep saying "how can he go from the best half back one year, to his current form'.

He was never 'the best' half back.

I'm sure they do ! Sheens, for all his knockers, has coached 4 teams to premiership wins, and he has been involved in the game for over 30yrs at the highest levels, Benji was a great half, captained NZ to wins over Australia, played in a premiership winning side, and recently played under some of the best coaches, with Souths, Broncos and WestsTigers. Farah was one of the best 9's to ever play the game. Furner is one of the smartest men in the game,and assistant coach. These guys would have looked at every minute of every game played this year, in great detail. They would be well aware of where our weaknesses are, and which players need to be replaced.
Some people can't see the forest, for the trees, when players don't have their contracts extended, it means the club is not confident in their ability. They have next year to prove themselves.
I think Furner is a big big plus he was at Souths when they had Sibs and the back line on fire

They have next year to prove themselves.

In all seriousness it's professional footy and the coaching staff and players have to prove themselves. All of that experience doesn't mean they've made the right decisions or that the team will perform next season.

I hope they do. I hope Brooksy has a great season. I hope the coaching staff get the team firing.

I still think our spine is poor and we are dependent on Brooks, AD, Laurie and/or Staines playing significantly better than they have in the past for us to be successful.

I don't want to detract anything from Brooksy winning the Dally M half back award...

But, let's be realistic, he beat Mitchell Pearce by a point...and Pearce missed something like ten games.

IOW Pearce was clearly the best halfback of the year that season and Luke got it by default almost.

That is NOT to detract from Luke...it is just that so many people here keep saying "how can he go from the best half back one year, to his current form'.

@Jedi_Tiger will arrive any minute now to dispute this 😉

I cant disagree sleevey, but how do we explain that many players who leave WT become champions? When we got 72 points put on us by Roosters this year, 3 of their better players were Lodge, Gildart and Tedesco.

I cant disagree sleevey, but how do we explain that many players who leave WT become champions? When we got 72 points put on us by Roosters this year, 3 of their better players were Lodge, Gildart and Tedesco.

Gildart got on the field but to say he was one of the roosters best is a complete fabrication and totaly destroys the rest of your arguement

Well Lodge got in big trouble at the Tigers before his US escapades'.
Teddy smartly left, and i don't blame him, the club was a sewer at the time.
Gildarts not a champion, but just looks better in a classy side.
We are where we are because the club was run by idiots.
Bellamy succeeded at Storm because they were a very professionally managed club, and the support staff and coaches were the best. It appears that Sheens has been given sole control now, and it's evident with the coaching staff, and many assistants for training and development that we have at long last starting to get professional. Teddy ,Woods, and Moses leaving ,left a huge hole, don't blame them ,blame the club management at the time. That's just my opinion, others will disagree.

That's just my opinion, others will disagree.

Yep. I disagree about everything apart from Gildart being an average player and Lodge being bad news.

Tedesco being smart is hilarious. Have you heard him talk. He took the easy path. That isn't being smart in my books. It's soft.

Well Lodge got in big trouble at the Tigers before his US escapades'.
Teddy smartly left, and i don't blame him, the club was a sewer at the time.
Gildarts not a champion, but just looks better in a classy side.
We are where we are because the club was run by idiots.
Bellamy succeeded at Storm because they were a very professionally managed club, and the support staff and coaches were the best. It appears that Sheens has been given sole control now, and it's evident with the coaching staff, and many assistants for training and development that we have at long last starting to get professional. Teddy ,Woods, and Moses leaving ,left a huge hole, don't blame them ,blame the club management at the time. That's just my opinion, others will disagree.
Ok, Gildart may not be everyone’s image of a champ but he is an international and to my point he did look much better in a Roosters side. I think he stated publicly he wanted to stay at Roosters?
I don’t get this idea of the chair saying Sheens has total control. This is bullshit, and as we all know organisations do not randomly flip responsibilities and tasks every year or so. How can they possibly expect better outcomes? I think what the board is actually saying is Sheens has our full support until he doesn’t have it.

He beat every other halfback that year as well, not just Pearce who missed 10 games. I’m just as frustrated with LB as most on here but nobody can dispute him winning that award. With a much stronger pack in ‘23 I just hope he can get it together. We don’t have any other options!

Ok, you’re saying Mitch Pearce is a better half than Brooks and you wouldn’t start an argument with that statement. Maybe we should have listened to Mitch’s dad when he tried so hard to get him a run at WT?

Back