How many expected at Leichhardt Oval?

@glebe_tiger said:
Didn't know i needed stats to know the ground looked like crap today not the past few weeks and it sure didn't look like that during the Chelsea game. What's happened after, thats the problem.

Where new turf is laid there is always the risk where it joins and lips to original surface for players to get injured. The dogs and souths may not have a hospital ward full of players on crutches but it is a risk.

The SFS in recent years has copped the same treatment. It's been in shocking states due to it's extensive use.

I'll keep an eye out for booby traps next time i'm on the hill at LO.

So there's no evidence that players are more likely to get injured at ANZ than any other ground? You've made a great contribution to the discussion. Enjoy your next trip at LO.

Apologies it's not proven facts that you require but the history of ANZ's poor playing surface has been an issue before.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/anz-stadium-pitch-criticised-after-graham-injury/iziqfs6heffh1bmptt7m49xgt

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-surface-tension-at-anz/story-e6frf9jf-1226119985246

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/patchy-pitch-fears-after-busy-month-20130703-2pcdo.html

Not sure of the comparison of ANZ's playing surface to leichhardt oval's hill?!?!?

Angry Any, maybe cash flow is a major contributor to the debate?

Is the $100k ($600k) paid annually, or after each game? Annually would see real benefit to the clubs cash flow, even moreso if it is paid before the season or at the signing of the contract ($3M)

The numbers for games at CSS & LO could also be a cash flow scenario considering 1/2 those 12k attendees have paid up there memberships by February. The club would discard this as game day revenue from a trading perspective. (rightly or wrongly)

Cash Flow is everything when operating any business!

@hybrid_tiger said:
Tell you what, anyone who will stop attending games because we don't play at LO or CSS anymore - pretty sad.

More sad - fans who stop going to games anywhere because we are not winning.

@Telltails said:
@hybrid_tiger said:
Tell you what, anyone who will stop attending games because we don't play at LO or CSS anymore - pretty sad.

That's not sad, its smart. Why waste hard earned money when you know your team will get thumped and you will have a miserable night?

Their is a pretty easy fix to the crowd situation, start winning games and you will get good crowds at what ever venue and what ever team you play. All the NRL clubs have their fans desert them when they are struggling, even the one team towns. Of course the problem is every week one team wins and another looses.

Anyway the smart teams that continue to recruit quality seem to be up near the top most years and the dumb teams that recruit crap or do not recruit at all are on struggle street most years

@GNR4LIFE said:
@Telltails said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

That's not sad, its smart. Why waste hard earned money when you know your team will get thumped and you will have a miserable night?

Is it smart? Perhaps it is if you are looking for an excuse for the NRL to question the viability of an already financially struggling club. If fans dont give a rats why should the NRL. I guess the question is what is worse - watching your team lose for a period of time, or not having a team to watch at all?

@hybrid_tiger said:

Sad indeed, and you will find heaps of them. 99% of so called Wests Tigers fans are fickle bandwagoners who base the support of the club on which ground there previous dead club played out of.

Moving all games to ANZS I guess will eliminate all these fickle bandwagoners.. the club might then be able to finally move forward…

@Telltails said:
@GNR4LIFE said:
@Telltails said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

Is it smart? Perhaps it is if you are looking for an excuse for the NRL to question the viability of an already financially struggling club. If fans dont give a rats why should the NRL. I guess the question is what is worse - watching your team lose for a period of time, or not having a team to watch at all?

Now you're being melodramatic. Wests Tigers are not going anywhere.

@Telltails said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

That is the nature of the beast and Sydney is one of the most fickle markets for sport.

Fans might feel differently about ANZ if we take home games to Perth next year.

@Tiger Watto said:
Angry Any, maybe cash flow is a major contributor to the debate?

Is the $100k ($600k) paid annually, or after each game? Annually would see real benefit to the clubs cash flow, even moreso if it is paid before the season or at the signing of the contract ($3M)

The numbers for games at CSS & LO could also be a cash flow scenario considering 1/2 those 12k attendees have paid up there memberships by February. The club would discard this as game day revenue from a trading perspective. (rightly or wrongly)

Cash Flow is everything when operating any business!

You raise good points, and yes cash flow is a big problem for this club judging from media reports previously about them receiving their grants early.

The problem with abandoning CSS & LO is that a good majority of these supporters will not travel to a venue they don't like. I guess I am one of the fickle group as from when I returned to Sydney in 2002 I travelled to most games within NSW for the best part of 9 years and even followed em to England. Now though I cannot be bothered travelling to Campbo and the hour plus each way to be served up tripe. I have recipricol membership at ANZ but only go to the occasional game, but will go to all Leichhardt games (including standalone NSW Cup, SG Ball, Flegg etc). My excuses are Age, lack of success, not believing in the direction of the club and the disconnect I feel with the team.

I am sure those 5000 'lost' supporters have their own excuses, I just don't think chasing the short term cash will bring them back. If we had a CEO that was respected and engaged the community as to why the move needed to happen and back it up with hard figures then the club could make the move full-time and hopefully take some of the CSS & LO only members with them.

I just do not believe Mayer's statements about the profitability of venues compared to others, I smell a rat (blame NSW politics for my lack of faith )

Something similar to this would help cashflow.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/rugby-league/eels-ceo-scott-seward-wants-to-extend-nt-partnership/story-fnk4wkb3-1227017629747

@glebe_tiger said:

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/rugby-league/eels-ceo-scott-seward-wants-to-extend-nt-partnership/story-fnk4wkb3-1227017629747

Why are you against a move across town but would be happy with a game interstate?

Will there be more than 12,000 at ANZ this Friday?….

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

@gallagher said:
@glebe_tiger said:

Why are you against a move across town but would be happy with a game interstate?

For a $1m to play one game interstate that's serious money no one should pass up. I know giving up a home game in neutral territory isn't popular but financially it would be gold.

I'm not against a move across town for the big games, but for all of them? Not now. Maybe down the track or when and if they build a new rectangular stadium out west but ANZ for all our home games in the short term, no.

For the record i've always had the dual stadium membership so i'm not totally anti-ANz stadium. But the place is a dive when crowds are low or you have to watch from an average seat. Add to the fact that ANZ gets flogged in terms of playing surface in recent years, it's had that patchy resurface job done on numerous occasions.

$1M is huge to play 1 game… Good to see franchises who are competing in a overly saturated environment working at new traffic generators.

Taking a game to Asia is the next smart move... Mayer???

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

People say ANZ is crap to watch when there's nobody there. While that may be correct in terms of atmosphere, the facilities are still 1000 times better than our other grounds. Toilets that work, a 30 second wait for a beer instead of 20 minutes, undercover seating etc. etc.

Back