I really want to get excited about our prospects but cant

ron_burgandy

i dont know whether its because we still arent playing to potential or that our style has totally changed and im still expecting 24+ points a game from the fellas…. i hear people saying that we still havent peaked yet offensively...but maybe we have there has only been 3 real break out games scoring wise v the warriors and canberra game 1 and roosters game 1.

I think i need to adapt to the fact that we arent that special offensive side of years past and now we are more defensively orientated this year.....are the days gone where the WT need to score 24+ points to win a game? and we can rely on our defence more then our attack?

Its scary to think that and that may be my problem...prior to last nights game i said we didnt have enough points in us and if you had said we wouldnt score more then 16 points i would of said the titans won, but going back over our 6 wins from our last 7 games i think only twice have we scored over 18 points verse the warriors and knights but in return the dragons are the only team to have put more then 16 points on us in that time too

Are we seriously traveling that good or are we running into teams who are well off the pace? or is it that our defence is that good that we are making potent offensive teams struggle?

I think these questions will be answered in the next 3 weeks where we play 2 of the bottom teams in the league

make me a believer fellas!!!

I dont think we are travelling great. However, i feel we are a side that if we are winning games against the lesser sides, we'll step up when we face the big guns. Some feel we didnt step up against Saints, but i disagree. With no halfback, at Kogorah, and Saints near full strength, it was 3 tries to 2 with 5 mins remaining, that will do me, and come septmeber, no one will want to play us.

You can only play whats in front of you, Titans were 4th prior to last night, winningly ugly is what we need right now, come the semis we will see our big name players step up. Benji will be sensational is the semis and robbie will prove he is the best no 9 going around

Ive had the same thoughts re: have we changed altogether?
But Im hoping we can get back some of our flair when//if we get the halves sorted and settled once & for all…..all the disruptions weve had in the halves wont help any teams attack.

We are winning ugly, I like it. It was our downfall in seasons past, now we're finally winning these close games.

I'm much more excited by our prospects this year than I have been in some time.

2/3rds of the way through the season we're entrenched in the top 8 despite being down our best halfback for almost all of the year and our second best halfback for a number of games.

We're winning games consistently despite playing below in best, where in years gone by we sometimes couldn't jag a win even when the backline was chiming. We're winning games with some of our key players out of sorts where in years gone by if they had an off game, we were done for.

We're coming 3rd and we have way more improvement left in us than any other team in the comp.

What's not to be excited about?

By the way, did anyone see that guy out there last night in the orange bodysuit??

I think we have changed our style a bit but I beleive the attacking flair will come back in the next few weeks. IMO since the souths game when we've had lui at 7 and marshall at 6 they showed what they can do against the warriors, the other weeks when they've been together they havent had a chance to play attacking footy because they have been restricted by the weather (is it just me or have we played like 75% of our matches in wet slippery conditions) Bring Lui back with Marshall at 5/8 and more favourable conditions, hopefully we will rack up a score on the cowboys.

@ron burgandy said:
i dont know whether its because we still arent playing to potential or that our style has totally changed and im still expecting 24+ points a game from the fellas…. i hear people saying that we still havent peaked yet offensively...but maybe we have there has only been 3 real break out games scoring wise v the warriors and canberra game 1 and roosters game 1.

I think i need to adapt to the fact that we arent that special offensive side of years past and now we are more defensively orientated this year.....are the days gone where the WT need to score 24+ points to win a game? and we can rely on our defence more then our attack?

Its scary to think that and that may be my problem...prior to last nights game i said we didnt have enough points in us and if you had said we wouldnt score more then 16 points i would of said the titans won, but going back over our 6 wins from our last 7 games i think only twice have we scored over 18 points verse the warriors and knights but in return the dragons are the only team to have put more then 16 points on us in that time too

Are we seriously traveling that good or are we running into teams who are well off the pace? or is it that our defence is that good that we are making potent offensive teams struggle?

I think these questions will be answered in the next 3 weeks where we play 2 of the bottom teams in the league

make me a believer fellas!!!

Stop reading the papers or listening to the commentators.
We are winning, be happy.

This time last year we were tearing out hair out because we were losing games like last night.
May the light shine in September/ October for the mighty Wests Tigers
:wahoo:

i think its great were winning these close games against evenly matched teams. and come closer to september our attacking flair will reappear and add another depth to our wins. i think st george have again over played their hand this year, they are awesome defensively and offer a lot in attack but they dont have that bucket of inventiveness we have which will help in the finals. im excited about our run to the finals and hope we can really build some good momentum and spark in attack!

Although I've always said I'd prefer to see us just get the points whether that be pretty or ugly, I'd still like to see us in full flight in attack, because I know when we knuckle down we can score some serious points and with that the defence will come. My major concern is if we play Penriff or Saints come finals time, we will be needing to score more than 15 points to have any chance of beating either of those teams.

When the coach re positions players and we have a half there is definatly a lot of room for improvement…and by no means the Titans were esay beats last night that was probable one of there better defensive games all season.

I feel very sorry for you. Just enjoy the moment, we are winning and the feeling is good. the mood on the way home on Friday was great. We lost plenty of games last year while playing flashy footy, Parra, Titans and Brisbane to name a few but we still lost and missed out.

I'll take these tough wins and enjoy it. We are playing as Sheens said without proper trainign and running combs and have players to come back including our 7 which will give us our attacking flair back.

Me i'm very excited about our prospects, it could be a whole lot worse and it has.

Im excited but only because we are winning games that in previous years we lose. Last season we lost 5 games by 2 points or less (only won 1 by the same margin), thats comp 10 points we just missed out on , we missed the 8 by 1 point, and had a better for and against than 4 teams that made the 8.

This season we look different, happy to grind out a win, won 3 games by 4 or less and a few whereby we score late to blow the score out but in reality they were close games Parra Rnd 3, Bulldogs Rnd 13, Raiders Rnd 15, Brisbane and Gold Coast last two weeks all wins, thatd the difference between 3rd and hanging around the bottom of the 8.

This is what should get you excited, we have done all this without a halfback, we have done all this with Beni playing just ok, our forwards have had injuries and are all getting back on the park now, these injuries have meant that Fifita and Dwyer have got some firsts experience. Melbourne are gone which means the comp this year is weaker than in previour years, we have 8 games left with 4 at 'real home grounds', Cowboys, Sharks at LO should be a wins, Storm at Rnd 25 will realise that they have nothing to play for so theres a win, Penriff at Cambo should be a cracker (not only on the field but they should also have a Fashions on the Field when the Penriff and Cambo crowds get together - just jokes guys dont take offence). Of the away games, ANZ vs Souths we want revenge, Sea Eagles at Blutongue will be easier than Brooky and they are going awful, Eels will hopefully be dead by then and the Titans wont matter so we can rest players before the semis. Sounds like a good plan!!!! SO get excited people, all this whinging about Sheens, Fitzy etc etc and we are on the way, 3rd place playing ordinary footy, with plenty of scope to move, GET EXCITED PEOPLE.

I think we have got lucky and have played teams that are off the pace or just had an off day when they played us. The amount of opportunities sides have been giving us is unbelievable. The mistakes and blown opportunities/tries is also not normal.
I think we have got lucky, but i also think the comp this year is very very weak.

i think we have now got what sheens wanted, a defensive dragons style team now.
I don't ever think we will be back to the 05 days.
but i do feel our attack can kick up a cog or two once we have a stable halfback (or any _real_ halfback for that matter!!)

Were doing enough but will need to step up to be a threat come finals time. With players returning we are quite capable of it so will be interesting to see if we can step it up a gear. Next weeks game is quite important in terms of our attack especially with Lui (hopefully) returning.

our season this year reminds me of the sharks in '08 (i think it was '08). we are winning the close games which we lost the year before, our defense has been superior to our attack (i know i know 18th string halfback) we are sitting 3rd behind the 2 form teams of the comp.
i hope we can make more of an impact in the finals then the sharks did that year and i hope our attack improves with a stable halves combo if it does i think we will go deep into the finals.

thoughts?

Tigers are just doing what Souffs did in the 90's. Play like such crap they drag most oppositions down to their crap level of footy.
Most teams will train to play against an opponent who resembles a first grade NRL team, not a bunch of blokes chucking the ball around with their eyes shut, landing all over the turf, running side to side playing touch footy without structure. You can't prepare to face rabble that plays unorthodox, that's why teams struggle against the WT. This is also why experts at playing rubbish footy find it so easy to rack up a scoreline of over 50 against the Tigers.

All WT has shown me over the past few weeks is how rubbish they are playing. The forwards have only aimed up in unison once this year, the 3/4 defensive line is paper thin, and the halves are killing all the high percentage play. A sub par long range kicking game also doesn't help.

The team is capable of much better than what they are producing based on their actual skillsets, they are going through a form slump right now. But this is the beauty of it all. **This is the slump WT needed to have!!** Against highly regarded opposition, at the right time of the year.

When and if the Tigers decide to get their game on, i don't think any other team in the comp will even come close to beating the WT. The only people who can stop this will be Finch, Harrigan, Gallop and co.

Back