Immortal announcement

@stryker said:
@innsaneink said:
@Mal said:
"Rugby League has never done anything for me"

Haha yeah and

**Johns said'
"I took recreational drugs right throughout my career"**

I actually re-watched the interview with Gus, and I gotta say it takes a pretty big man to get on national tv and admit you made a massive mistake. Whether you were caught or not, he didn't have to do that. Credit to Johnsy.

I'm not condoning his choices, but people make mistakes.. He's learnt from them hopefully. He wasn't playing games or tests or origins ON the stuff, and really was just a young bloke with a few issues. He should be entitled to any accolades he receives and it would be well deserved to become an Immortal.
\
\
\
\
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

@tigertye said:
@stryker said:
@innsaneink said:
@Mal said:
"Rugby League has never done anything for me"

Haha yeah and

**Johns said'
"I took recreational drugs right throughout my career"**

I actually re-watched the interview with Gus, and I gotta say it takes a pretty big man to get on national tv and admit you made a massive mistake. Whether you were caught or not, he didn't have to do that. Credit to Johnsy.

I'm not condoning his choices, but people make mistakes.. He's learnt from them hopefully. He wasn't playing games or tests or origins ON the stuff, and really was just a young bloke with a few issues. He should be entitled to any accolades he receives and it would be well deserved to become an Immortal.

Don't have an issue with Johns becoming an Immortal at some stage Just not now at the expense of Meninga

We have no proof what drugs he took . What if some were performance enhancing ??

Frank Hyde deserves it more than Johns or " I got nothing out of this game" Meninga
\
\

@tigerbenji said:
Put your house on Johns, but in my opinion he shouldnt get it.

If Johns does get it now it just backs up all the issues we have in Rugby League

Ignorance ,Inconsistancy ,No Accountability

@Tiger Watto said:
x 2 Happy…

If Johns is named on Thursday, the Immortals Tag will be lost to the circus!

You guys just want a Queenslander at any cost .
What's wrong with Keith Barnes?
Never played anything but first grade , Test captain , Captain / Coach of the Australian World Cup team.
Greatest goalkicker ever and tough as nails - stayed on the field with a broken cheekbone in his first game for Australia to pot 5 goals.
My next choice would have to be Ron Coote- but I wouldn't begrudge Johns as he was special.

@stryker said:
@Yossarian said:
A lot of Joey's rep issues were because NSW selectors were too dumb to pick him at halfback for most of his SOO career. He still won 4 man of the match awards (Mal won one) which puts him =2nd to Wally.

MOM honors are usually handed out to the halves at that level. As a Queenslander, there was only the one series I was worried about Johns…and he certainly delivered however for most of his state career he was an ineffectual hooker/benchie.

To be perfectly honest, I would have Johns collect the honor only after Provan, Mal, Lazo and Locky had already been admitted.

Provan, Coote, Meninga in that order. Andrew Johns is in the frame only to appease the 'right here, right now' generation.

I wonder if people actually look at players records and not just their influence on the game and indeed their legacy. Indigenous players have no time at all for Andrew Johns, wonder why?

@Citizen Tiger said:
@stryker said:
@Yossarian said:
A lot of Joey's rep issues were because NSW selectors were too dumb to pick him at halfback for most of his SOO career. He still won 4 man of the match awards (Mal won one) which puts him =2nd to Wally.

MOM honors are usually handed out to the halves at that level. As a Queenslander, there was only the one series I was worried about Johns…and he certainly delivered however for most of his state career he was an ineffectual hooker/benchie.

To be perfectly honest, I would have Johns collect the honor only after Provan, Mal, Lazo and Locky had already been admitted.

Provan, Coote, Meninga in that order. Andrew Johns is in the frame only to appease the 'right here, right now' generation.

I wonder if people actually look at players records and not just their influence on the game and indeed their legacy. Indigenous players have no time at all for Andrew Johns, wonder why?

Because he's white?

I don't get the whole "Johns did drugs" argument.

There are all kinds of drugs in the world, and most people don't knwo the difference between them. poeple associate meth and heroin in the same basket, when they have the complete opposite effect to one another.

Johns having ecstacy or cocaine not only would enhance his performance, it'd detract from it. These drugs give you a massive come down which leaves you physically exhausted. As to any questions on whether he'd played whilst using these drugs, that's ridiculous. Playing sport on cocaine would induce a heart attack pretty quickly.

Johns on the field was amazing. He redefined the role of the halfback, carried the Knights to a premiership in 2001 and NSW to a series win in 2005\. We haven't won since he retired.

It's a simple choice imo.

@cktiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:
x 2 Happy…

Never played anything but first grade , Test captain , Captain / Coach of the Australian World Cup team.
Greatest goalkicker ever and tough as nails - stayed on the field with a broken cheekbone in his first game for Australia to pot 5 goals.
My next choice would have to be Ron Coote- but I wouldn't begrudge Johns as he was special.

That is a load of garbage CK So if we are nominating Meninga because he is a Qlder and we are being biased ,I guess you can nominate Moltzen as the next immortal

I rate Sterlo a better half back than Johns personally

I know Mal had his issues off field (surprised no one brought up his illegitimate daughter as well , with his comments at the start of the SL /ARL war )

Johns brought the game into total disrepute with the drugs scandal , and Bismark I do know the difference between performance enhancing drugs and social drugs

My point is we are only relying on Johns information that he wasn't taking performance enhancing drugs

I think Meninga is the more socially acceptable player to recieve the award with their extra curricular activities taken into account

It's sad that 'opinions' carry more weight than 'achievments' when judging the greatness of a player. I realise Stats don't always show the try story, but the definitely don't lie when they exist.

I don't really care about Johns drug thingo, but he has achieved very little compared to a great of the game like Provan. Even Brad Fittler achieved more than Johns!

Selecting Johns as the next Immortal carries the same weight as choosing Oreo's over Mint Slice as the best biscuit?!

Agreed Watto, Johns was a very good player but didnt achieve the same things as his contemporaries such as Fittler and Lockyer did let alone guys from by gone eras such as Provan , Meninga, Sterling et al…

No contest Johns will get this, even though i think others deserve it in front of him.

@happy tiger said:
@cktiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:
x 2 Happy…

That is a load of garbage CK So if we are nominating Meninga because he is a Qlder and we are being biased ,I guess you can nominate Moltzen as the next immortal

I rate Sterlo a better half back than Johns personally

I know Mal had his issues off field (surprised no one brought up his illegitimate daughter as well , with his comments at the start of the SL /ARL war )

Johns brought the game into total disrepute with the drugs scandal , and Bismark I do know the difference between performance enhancing drugs and social drugs

My point is we are only relying on Johns information that he wasn't taking performance enhancing drugs

I think Meninga is the more socially acceptable player to recieve the award with their extra curricular activities taken into account

I said who I would prefer happy.
Seriously - Meninga's size , more than anything else ,made him dominant.
Put him in today's game where he wouldn't be bigger than the other guys and I don't think he would have been so great.
When it comes to on field football brains or skill he is not in the same park as Johns.
It' s common knowledge Meninga only made the team of the century because of interstate politics.
Johns got the top spot in the most contested position without any reservations - he deserves it.

Back