Immortal announcement

@cktiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@cktiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:
x 2 Happy…

If Johns is named on Thursday, the Immortals Tag will be lost to the circus!

You guys just want a Queenslander at any cost .
What's wrong with Keith Barnes?
Never played anything but first grade , Test captain , Captain / Coach of the Australian World Cup team.
Greatest goalkicker ever and tough as nails - stayed on the field with a broken cheekbone in his first game for Australia to pot 5 goals.
My next choice would have to be Ron Coote- but I wouldn't begrudge Johns as he was special.

That is a load of garbage CK So if we are nominating Meninga because he is a Qlder and we are being biased ,I guess you can nominate Moltzen as the next immortal

I rate Sterlo a better half back than Johns personally

I know Mal had his issues off field (surprised no one brought up his illegitimate daughter as well , with his comments at the start of the SL /ARL war )

Johns brought the game into total disrepute with the drugs scandal , and Bismark I do know the difference between performance enhancing drugs and social drugs

My point is we are only relying on Johns information that he wasn't taking performance enhancing drugs

I think Meninga is the more socially acceptable player to recieve the award with their extra curricular activities taken into account

I said who I would prefer happy.
Seriously - Meninga's size , more than anything else ,made him dominant.
Put him in today's game where he wouldn't be bigger than the other guys and I don't think he would have been so great.
When it comes to on field football brains or skill he is not in the same park as Johns.
It' s common knowledge Meninga only made the team of the century because of interstate politics.
Johns got the top spot in the most contested position without any reservations - he deserves it.

Why should Johns jump the queue ahead of others to join the immortals if at all.To me it really has to do with a behind the scenes push from channel nine so thyey can have another "immortal" on their broadcast after lewis.

It shouldn't be about jumping the queue or where you came from - or what you did off the field.
It should merely be based on who is best.

@cktiger said:
It shouldn't be about jumping the queue or where you came from - or what you did off the field.

see the problem with picking the younger guys is they need to be judged and compared to the next generation to know your not jumping the gun on a player.Johns was brilliant often but so was many before him.

@cktiger said:

I think it should take into account, leadership, sportsmanship, talent. etc.
And Johns was the greatest for a long time due to performance enhancing drugs. But is that good for rugby league? Johns as the next immortal but he was only good cause of drugs. Puts a bad message out there for younger players as well as outsiders looking in.

@kh_canada said:
@cktiger said:

I think it should take into account, leadership, sportsmanship, talent. etc.
And Johns was the greatest for a long time due to performance enhancing drugs. But is that good for rugby league? Johns as the next immortal but he was only good cause of drugs. Puts a bad message out there for younger players as well as outsiders looking in.

What performance enhancing drugs was Johns on???

If you're talking about him taking pills which is what he has said openly that would have the opposite affect on his performance.

It has to be between Johns and Provan for mine.

@cktiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@cktiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:
x 2 Happy…

If Johns is named on Thursday, the Immortals Tag will be lost to the circus!

Never played anything but first grade , Test captain , Captain / Coach of the Australian World Cup team.
Greatest goalkicker ever and tough as nails - stayed on the field with a broken cheekbone in his first game for Australia to pot 5 goals.
My next choice would have to be Ron Coote- but I wouldn't begrudge Johns as he was special.

That is a load of garbage CK So if we are nominating Meninga because he is a Qlder and we are being biased ,I guess you can nominate Moltzen as the next immortal

I know Mal had his issues off field (surprised no one brought up his illegitimate daughter as well , with his comments at the start of the SL /ARL war )

Johns brought the game into total disrepute with the drugs scandal , and Bismark I do know the difference between performance enhancing drugs and social drugs

My point is we are only relying on Johns information that he wasn't taking performance enhancing drugs

I think Meninga is the more socially acceptable player to recieve the award with their extra curricular activities taken into account

Put him in today's game where he wouldn't be bigger than the other guys and I don't think he would have been so great.
When it comes to on field football brains or skill he is not in the same park as Johns.
It' s common knowledge Meninga only made the team of the century because of interstate politics.
Johns got the top spot in the most contested position without any reservations - he deserves it.

100% agree CK. In pure football ability (what Immortals are supposed to be solely judged on) Meninga is not even in the same ballpark as Johns. Johns had every single skill in the book whereas Meninga made his name running over the top of blokes that in most cases were 20 or 30 kilos smaller than him.

I wonder how Meninga would have been remembered in the history books had he spent his career in the forwards with other blokes of his size, I reckon he would of been a nuffy really in amongst all the stiff-arms, head-highs, elbows, king-hits and whatever else was common place in those days.

Johns' carried Newcastle on his back for years, just look at their record when he was missing through injury or whatever- they very rarely won. Meninga's Raiders teams were absolutely chockablock with Origin and Test stars, they would of won plenty of games with or without him regardless.

If it came down to those two blokes then Johns should be an absolute certainty.

MENINGA HAS NEVER BEEN WIDELY REGARDED AS THE BEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME, I WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT WOULD HAVE TO COUNT FOR SOMETHING.

Go Joey, shove it up the big goose!

personally, this time two people deserve the honour.

the ones who are used for the NRL trophy.

no one else.

And you think Joey has been widely regarded as the best player who has ever played the game

Players who are the best , would survive any era

From the early 80's backwards Johns would of been belted out of the game

Imagine if Tommy had of got his hands on him , the drug taking would of doubled

I would prefer Fittler,Lockyer ,Sterling probably even Balmain Benny over Johns

Funny how when Johns wasn't behind a great forward pack he looked average

@Fade To Black said:
@cktiger said:
@happy tiger said:
@cktiger said:

100% agree CK. In pure football ability (what Immortals are supposed to be solely judged on) Meninga is not even in the same ballpark as Johns. Johns had every single skill in the book whereas Meninga made his name running over the top of blokes that in most cases were 20 or 30 kilos smaller than him.

I wonder how Meninga would have been remembered in the history books had he spent his career in the forwards with other blokes of his size, I reckon he would of been a nuffy really in amongst all the stiff-arms, head-highs, elbows, king-hits and whatever else was common place in those days.

Johns' carried Newcastle on his back for years, just look at their record when he was missing through injury or whatever- they very rarely won. Meninga's Raiders teams were absolutely chockablock with Origin and Test stars, they would of won plenty of games with or without him regardless.

If it came down to those two blokes then Johns should be an absolute certainty.

MENINGA HAS NEVER BEEN WIDELY REGARDED AS THE BEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME, I WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT WOULD HAVE TO COUNT FOR SOMETHING.

Go Joey, shove it up the big goose!

Your kidding yourself. Meninga would still big bigger than a lot of today's centers and would run over the top of most of them too. Imagine Beau trying to stop him at pace. Joey was a freak and will get his turn but first big Mal should go in.
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Well that will do me

Just proves to me one thing ….

That ARL /Super League still isn't dead .

Rugby League is quickly becoming a massive joke in my eyes and any person involved in running the game has their agendas

Rugby League isn't the working man's game anymore , it is about people at the top sucking the life out of the game to their own advantage

Actually I'm not bloody finished

What message has that given to the youth of today ??

Did the people that made that decision think of that ??

So my young fella asks me tomorrow " Tell me about Andrew Johns"

"Son , he was a great footballer , if you want to read about him google him "

"Dad , why did he take recreational drugs and why did he get an award if he did something bad "

"Well son ,back in 1997 Mal Meninga joined Super League and wanted to look after his future which he was concerned about ,and made a comment that 90% of people didn't understand"

Andrew Johns stayed loyal in the ARL

"Sorry my son , sometimes the person who does wrong gets rewarded when he shouldn't "

So all the idiots that made this decision did was teach the youth coming through that if you do the wrong thing , but are a champion player it is ok

junky wins , over proven , what a disgrace , this should be juged on all of his football carreer , dont know how the next guy wins , very dissapointed

All the Qld'ers having a cry, get over it and just admit you hate Johns.
Joey was one of the most complete players ever and was well deserving of his award.
The others who missed out will get their turn.

This is a populist decision only.

Joey is an immortal quality player but has brought the game into disrepute many times.

Think the Newy steroids scandal that he was heavily rumored to be a part of, the career filled with party drugs and the racial outbursts during Origin. Even on the Sunday footy show he constantly tells us how smashed he got last night.

I am not saying that these should diminish his on field performances that were mostly outstanding, but add them to his lack of dominance in the Origin and Test arenas and I say he should have been made to wait.

Would he have recieved this reward if he wasnt currently involved in the media? I think maybe not.

drugs , we dont need it in the game , he was laced with it , this will bring him down , and not before time

@tiger sean said:
Joey was one of the most complete players ever and was well deserving of his award.

Sean I have said he was a great player so where you get I hate Johns is laughable

I'm that angry at the moment about this , I'm seriously considering switching my son to another code

I don't want a person who admittedly took drugs during his career and gets rewarded for doing it being a possible role model for my son

Just proves how out of touch that the powers that may be are out of touch with the community

Call me a wowser if you like , but only once I ever drank within 24 hours of a game and that was so I could get myself on the bus when two mates died driving over to a game the night before

@tiger sean said:

Spot on, it's been said a hundred times that the sole criteria is what the player did ON the field. It's not as though all the other immortals were saints off the field, Johnny Raper anyone?

Back