Immortal announcement

I always viewed the Immortals as a selection based on Achievements of Distinction… Unfortunately, this era of Rugby League has now come to an end.

I wonder when we will stop ruing everything in this game???

It's an award created by a magazine with a circulation of 22000.
Cleo has a circulation of 105000 so I gues the Bachelor of the Year is a bigger event.

It has nothing to do with the NRL, ARL, QRL, NSWRL, or any governing body.
Relax mate.

Who is this "we" that you refer to that is ruining (I assume that's what you meant to write) the game?

Wow…what a bunch of nancy boys, whinging about Joey

Love his dig at Mal...and rightly so:

"I owe everything in my life to rugby league. Ever since I was a kid. I'd hate to imagine where I'd be without the game that's given me everything. And even now it gives me everything.

At least he's grateful.

Theres some very perfect in life members we have right here

@AmericanHistoryX said:
thank heavens its only the rugby league world and not the real world.
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Are you still wearing nappies? Welcome to the real world mate , it's a jungle out there
\
\

@stryker said:
@900large said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but he won 3 dally ms, lost a 4th because of the head slam that made him inelligible despite polling the highest points, was unbackable favorite for the one the players boycotted. 5 years as the best player on ground. How many Rothmans medals/ dally Ms did mal win. It is undeniable he was the best player of an era.
\
\
\

Noone is saying he wasnt amazing at club level, he won his side many games personally. However if I was to name my selection of halves at rep level, Joey would not make my top 5 list.

In no particular order:
Sterling
Langer
Stuart
Jones
Thurston

all had far bigger impacts on the game.

In my mind, Joey was good until he played with or against guys of his talent level.

Joey single handedly one us the series in 05\. You know nothing !
\
\

He 'one' you the series did he? I stated in a previous post that he 'won' that series for the blues…whats your point?

How many did he play in where he was ineffectual? How many did Fittler, Stuart and Daley win for you?

The bloke was not one of this generations best rep players.

@stryker said:
He 'one' you the series did he? I stated in a previous post that he 'won' that series for the blues…whats your point?

How many did he play in where he was ineffectual? How many did Fittler, Stuart and Daley win for you?

The bloke was not one of this generations best rep players.

Picking out grammar…. Clutching at straws are we. I think I'd prefer to go with a panel with a lot more knowledge and experience then some one who clutches at straws.
\
\

Steering the conversation away from whether Joey should or shouldn't have been inducted into the Immortals, will the likes of Dally M, Frank Hyde or Yappy Holman ever get a look in? Seems like the prerequisite is you've had to have played after 1960…

@innsaneink said:
Wow…what a bunch of nancy boys, whinging about Joey

Love his dig at Mal...and rightly so:

"I owe everything in my life to rugby league. Ever since I was a kid. I'd hate to imagine where I'd be without the game that's given me everything. And even now it gives me everything.

At least he's grateful.

Theres some very perfect in life members we have right here

Thanks for the rap Ink I've always wanted to be a nancy boy

I can imagine where he would be without rugby league A drug addict maybe recovering :eek:pen_mouth: or maybe a racist

Oh thats right , he was one already while he played league .

Love to join you in your world Ink , its an interesting place and I know its hard to be this perfect :wink:

Sounds like youre looking for Mother theresa, some choirboys or angels, Happy.

This is rugby league, it usually attracts the err more ''out there'' type of fella, those that live on the edge, the wild side…..you want a librarian, or a scholar...try a university.....I did time when I was 14, we trained for three months and played the Mt Penang boys in a game, our coach was an ex screw from
Glasgow or somewhere, a REAL dirty nasty ***** but it was one of the best and most fearsome experiences of my life, one I'll never forget
\
\
CB....post war players is the criteria

@innsaneink said:

This is rugby league, it usually attracts the err more ''out there'' type of fella, those that live on the edge, the wild side…..you want a librarian, or a scholar...try a university.....I did time when I was 14, we trained for three months and played the Mt Penang boys in a game, our coach was an ex screw from
Glasgow or somewhere, a REAL dirty nasty ***** but it was one of the best and most fearsome experiences of my life, one I'll never forget
\
\

Thanks for clearing that up Ink, I didn't know that was part of the criteria. Seems a shame that some of the men who created the foundations of the game that we enjoy now are deemed illegitimate of selection.

Heard a bit about it tonite, Frank Hyde and two other initial judges ( forget who) when they first started the concept wanted to be able to judge players that theyd actually seen play…thats why they chose post war blokes

Guys like Raper & Beetson in their day werent angels either

@innsaneink said:
Heard a bit about it tonite, Frank Hyde and two other initial judges ( forget who) when they first started the concept wanted to be able to judge players that theyd actually seen play…thats why they chose post war blokes

Guys like Raper & Beetson in their day werent angels either

Nonetheless a shame.

No one is squeaky clean. I don't like Johns one bit, and while I think his selection may be premature, he is deserving to go down as a great of the game.

@innsaneink said:

\
\

Ink if he'd said he taken drugs and didn't mention he was under the influence on field I'd be sweet

But he admitted he was under the influence on field

And this goes to everyone who is saying it was an off field issue

Johns himself made it an on field issue by bringing the drugs issue on field

That is my problem

I've seen what drugs can do first hand Ink My brother used to empty the old mans workshop everytime he went on holidays and did 8 years for over 80 b and e's

My brother in law died from an overdose I regard myself very lucky indeed for not having fallen on the wrong side of the tracks

@innsaneink said:
As you said, its your problem, others too….then again to some it isnt a problem.
Its the world we live in

Sitting on here arguing about it isn't going to change the world or the decision

Im a bit younger then joey And I've dabbled in party stuff …. And had so much fun in the process. Never hurt anyone, just had good time and humiliated my self numerous times. And if I had the money joey did then I would have taken in up a notch. Many many sportsman do this, I know of at least 4 nrl players and also a champion boxer that do this too. That's their business. And what they do in the arenA is another matter
\
\

@tits magee said:
Im a bit younger then joey And I've dabbled in party stuff …. And had so much fun in the process. Never hurt anyone, just had good time and humiliated my self numerous times. And if I had the money joey did then I would have taken in up a notch. Many many sportsman do this, I know of at least 4 nrl players and also a champion boxer that do this too. That's their business. And what they do in the arenA is another matter
\
\

Tits I hope for your sake that that your fun doesn't lead to heartache and pain for you and your family

Its not a nice thing to have to watch someone you love go through absolute hell , and thats the only way to describe it

Back