Immortal announcement

stryker

So Thursday night we will receive our newest addition to the immortals of Rugby League.

The good mail is pointing towards Joey getting the gong . I personally think there are quite a few others more deserving not least of which is big Mal Meninga. I think he achieved more at every level of the game and has continued to do so for many years after retirement.

Tell us what you think and why.

I honestly don't care.

The minute I learned Rothfield was on the panel the selection officially became null and void in my eyes.

Establish a Hall of Fame. leave the Immortals as they currently stand and the period of history they represent and move forward

The Number 1 choice should of been easy - Norm Proven. I'd say with Norm publicly stating he would prefer we continue in a forward motion, Mal Meninga is easily the next in-line.

Joey will have to wait!

But seriously, with Phil Rothfield on the Panel, it could be Gavin Miller; Steve Rogers or Andrew Ettinghuasan?!

On Football ability Johns wins over big Mal just

But the drugs controversy swings it back to Mal in my opinion

Mal Meninga for mine

Yeah Smeg I am a fan of the hall of fame, but for the purposes of this thread who is more deserving in your mind?

Personally I think Andrew Johns is far and away the better player. Mal was a giant and that was his main weapon - he was pretty limited apart from that. IMO anyway…

Johns on the other hand was probably the best player I've seen in the flesh and a massive influence on the game. Even RU kickers apparently studied his DVD to work out how to perform the banana kick!

I also feel that off-field stuff should be of minimal consideration. It's a Hall of Fame not the "Top blokes club".

i know the criteria for the immortals is solely based on what happened on the footy field ie post playing career is not considered and neither is off field incidents. therefore the next immortal should be joey

Andrew Johns is probably the best footballer i have seen and i go back to unlimited tackle football and should be selected

@stryker said:
Yeah Smeg I am a fan of the hall of fame, but for the purposes of this thread who is more deserving in your mind?

Mal or Sterling would be my choices personally

@Tiger Watto said:
The Number 1 choice should of been easy - Norm Proven. I'd say with Norm publicly stating he would prefer we continue in a forward motion, Mal Meninga is easily the next in-line.

Joey will have to wait!

But seriously, with Phil Rothfield on the Panel, it could be Gavin Miller; Steve Rogers or Andrew Ettinghuasan?!

spot on

Both Mal and Johns are great players.

Johns is the greatest player I have ever seen since 1977.

Johns would be my pick.

I would also like Brett Kenny and Glen Lasarus considered in the future. What brillant players

I'd definitely give it to Norm Provan and I am a Wests supporter who is still dirty about the 1963 Grand Final. But he deserves it.
Next in line for me would be Mal. I was never a HUGE fan but look at his record-Kangaroo tours etc.
My third pick would be Sterling. He was every bit as good a half back as Johns in my opinion.

My problem with Joey is that he was completely dominant at NRL level, moderately dominant at State level and had lesser impact at International. Injuries played a huge part but for mine, Mal went on 4 Kangaroo tours, won many Origin clashes, won a few premierships - doing most of which as captain and as a coach has excelled at State level and taken tours to PNG for the PM's 13.

Johns was a freak and changed the game however Mal just breathed success wherever he played in a 16 year career and has done so for years past his retirement.

@stryker said:
My problem with Joey is that he was completely dominant at NRL level, moderately dominant at State level and had lesser impact at International. Injuries played a huge part but for mine, Mal went on 4 Kangaroo tours, won many Origin clashes, won a few premierships - doing most of which as captain and as a coach has excelled at State level and taken tours to PNG for the PM's 13.

Johns was a freak and changed the game however Mal just breathed success wherever he played in a 16 year career and has done so for years past his retirement.

A lot of Joey's rep issues were because NSW selectors were too dumb to pick him at halfback for most of his SOO career. He still won 4 man of the match awards (Mal won one) which puts him =2nd to Wally.

if not for the ARL War, you could probably half both Joeys State of Origin and Test Matches played… He was never going to get the jumper ahead of Stuart or Langer until probably 98/99?!

@Yossarian said:
Personally I think Andrew Johns is far and away the better player. Mal was a giant and that was his main weapon - he was pretty limited apart from that. IMO anyway…

Johns on the other hand was probably the best player I've seen in the flesh and a massive influence on the game. Even RU kickers apparently studied his DVD to work out how to perform the banana kick!

I also feel that off-field stuff should be of minimal consideration. It's a Hall of Fame not the "Top blokes club".

Got nothing to do with the "Top Blokes "club It's got to do with the fact that Johns admitted to being under the influence while playing Yoss

He brought the off field stuff on the field and he should pay the price to a degree

He will one day be an Immortal , but he will have to wait his turn

@Yossarian said:
A lot of Joey's rep issues were because NSW selectors were too dumb to pick him at halfback for most of his SOO career. He still won 4 man of the match awards (Mal won one) which puts him =2nd to Wally.

MOM honors are usually handed out to the halves at that level. As a Queenslander, there was only the one series I was worried about Johns…and he certainly delivered however for most of his state career he was an ineffectual hooker/benchie.

To be perfectly honest, I would have Johns collect the honor only after Provan, Mal, Lazo and Locky had already been admitted.

Got nothing to do with the "Top Blokes "club **It's got to do with the fact that Johns admitted to being under the influence while playing Yoss**
He brought the off field stuff on the field and he should pay the price to a degree

He will one day be an Immortal , but he will have to wait his turn

I agree.
am bit suprised he has not had any of his awards withdrawn. :unamused:
happens in all other types of sport , why not NRL.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back