Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
It’s pretty clear what has happened here when you look at the timeline. Brent Read broke the story on Monday and stated WT officials uncontactable. After getting Ivan in on a meeting under false pretences Penrith made a play for his services. Ivan Cleary has entertained the idea clouded by the idea of coaching his son at a club with a better roster, better facilities and his mates there on the proviso he sits down with Pascoe. Gould uses this as the excuse to sack Griffin. Penrith leak to the Media to begin the destabilisation of the Tigers thinking they will roll over quick with a compensation package. Tigers deny any request for any release.

Penrith now deny everything and Gould gets exposed by Griffin as a manipulator and everything decision is made by Gus. Now damage control for Cleary and Penrith as he now will destroy his reputation if he leaves.

Cleary will have to explain this if he stays as the players will understand the impact of a family based decision.

I like what you’re saying. Could be feasible.

What I don’t like is Gould stating Cleary won’t ask for release. We have no coach. Tigers won’t let Cleary go etc etc. He’s a lying, manipulative toad - I don’t trust him - there’s more to come I think

It’s smart by Gould but low life behaviour.
They are positioning him for when he’s off contract but destabilising the Tigers now.
It retains Nathan as he knows his father is coming and creates a lame duck coach scenario for the Tigers who may release him at the end of next year. The Tigers lose here as the players know his coaching mantra is now a fraud and what are they buying into.

The only way this situation sorts itself out is if Cleary extends his Tigers deal to put it to bed.
Otherwise is a lame duck Cleary better than a strong willed and whole hearted Macquire.

I’d sign Macquire as head of football operations to make sure the long term of the club is looked after and also as an insurance policy for Cleary.

West’s have the cash and it won’t leave a lame duck Cleary with the power to make decisions which are short term if he is going in 2 years.

Tyga,
Why are we holding Griffin up as some keeper of the truth?
we have no idea of what has happened throughout this., and may never know,
Im not saying that Griffin is lying, or any one is.
But Griffin seems to wear his welcome out on more than one occasion, and the last thing he is about to say , when hes looking for a new job, is that the stories about player dissatisfaction are wrong, seems everyone is wrong but Hook.

@ said:
@ said:
Come on everyone, there is a possibility the club is working on a deal to keep and extend Ivan. Remember this has taken all in the club by surprise and all actions to date have been reactive. Putting a deal together takes time. Let's wait and see before condemning the man.

How effective is a deal when he is looking to the future - elsewhere! Most probably at Joan Sutherland theatre in Penrith where Ivan plays Romeo and Nathan plays Juliet.
Get onto Micheal McGuire now and let’s have a future.

I just have to wait like everyone else but the name Shane Flanagan keeps arising.

@ said:
@ said:
Please end it Ivan, I am going blind reading all these posts.

C'mon kafta - Is that the real reason you're going blind…..

Well entering FIST OF FURY 2013 didn't help….... Lost by a stroke :wink:

@ said:
The annoying thing is the fact i thought we were over being the laughing stock of the NRL, but poof we are back to that point again. Surely it's not just a coincidence it's always happening to us.

What???? - If anything i thing this club has become everyones second team as long as they stick to their guns. Gus has been shown up to be a liar and a buffoon and Penrith has been shown up as a club with no leadership at the top. Yet you find a way to sat we are the laughing stock.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
They are raging hot favorites to secure both Ivan and Nathan long term. They win.

History is written by the winners. No one will care about any of that once they announce the 2 signings.

Agree.

They may be deceitful, underhanded, sly etc but they are not amateurs. They will win.

They will win what ? They appoint a coach (who was considered not good enough 3 years ago) because they want to retain his son - now that makes sense.

Or, they put in a caretaker for two years; ie, someone who they regard as not quite up to the task, when they have a red hot squad that is capable of winning the comp now.

I can't believe you guys are suggesting that these are smart moves. It looks dumb to me.

In the meantime Penrith and Gould have tarnished their reputation and they are currently mounting a major PR offensive to save their image.

PM me when its all said and done and see if we are right. NO ONE WILL CARE when they have both Clearys!

I don't agree. You said they will win. I assume you mean that they will win the Cleary's signatures. If that is a victory, it is a pyrrhic victory at best. Pyrrhic because, contrary to your claim that no one will care, there are plenty of people who do care. Just read through this thread and other NRL related threads on other sites. The Panthers are under fire from all quarters (eg Griffin has come out and called Gus a liar, while Go has called their behaviour unethical). The Panthers (Gould) have moved into damage control. They may ultimately win the signatures, but their reputation has taken a big hit.

If Cleary does move to Penrith in 2019, Gould has to hope he wins them a premiership, given the damage he has done to the Penrith brand.

I can't understand why half the people on here wan't to extend Ivan's contract.
It's like finding out your wife has cheated on you & you wan't to renew your vows.
Lets toughen up he only cares about his family not our team.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Come on everyone, there is a possibility the club is working on a deal to keep and extend Ivan. Remember this has taken all in the club by surprise and all actions to date have been reactive. Putting a deal together takes time. Let's wait and see before condemning the man.

How effective is a deal when he is looking to the future - elsewhere! Most probably at Joan Sutherland theatre in Penrith where Ivan plays Romeo and Nathan plays Juliet.
Get onto Micheal McGuire now and let’s have a future.

I just have to wait like everyone else but the name Shane Flanagan keeps arising.

Flanno???

Why would he come here?

@ said:
I can't understand why half the people on here wan't to extend Ivan's contract.
It's like finding out your wife has cheated on you & you wan't to renew your vows.
Lets toughen up he only cares about his family not our team.

Personally, I think it would be good that he extends with us, IF he didn't say to Panthers that he wants to coach there and they are lying about who approached who. IF Cleary did initiate that, I only want him to extend with us if he comes clean, expresses that it was a mistake, and that he is 100% committed to us, and extends with us longer allowing a clause to go in where he gets penalised massively if he leaves us to go to Panthers.

I'm not sure i want him to stay, but letting him go would be bad for our squad. Packerlino for two would put less effort in and that would be disastrous.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Agree.

They may be deceitful, underhanded, sly etc but they are not amateurs. They will win.

They will win what ? They appoint a coach (who was considered not good enough 3 years ago) because they want to retain his son - now that makes sense.

Or, they put in a caretaker for two years; ie, someone who they regard as not quite up to the task, when they have a red hot squad that is capable of winning the comp now.

I can't believe you guys are suggesting that these are smart moves. It looks dumb to me.

In the meantime Penrith and Gould have tarnished their reputation and they are currently mounting a major PR offensive to save their image.

PM me when its all said and done and see if we are right. NO ONE WILL CARE when they have both Clearys!

I don't agree. You said they will win. I assume you mean that they will win the Cleary's signatures. If that is a victory, it is a pyrrhic victory at best. Pyrrhic because, contrary to your claim that no one will care, there are plenty of people who do care. Just read through this thread and other NRL related threads on other sites. The Panthers are under fire from all quarters (eg Griffin has come out and called Gus a liar, while Go has called their behaviour unethical). The Panthers (Gould) have moved into damage control. They may ultimately win the signatures, but their reputation has taken a big hit.

If Cleary does move to Penrith in 2019, Gould has to hope he wins them a premiership, given the damage he has done to the Penrith brand.

Pyrrhic. Great word.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Penrith played their check mate move in the papers today.

Article saying they will wait the 2 years and sign Ivan at the end of it if they have to. They'll happily stay with Corals.

Can't see the West's Tigers being able to get around that. Even if Ivan cane out and said he was staying we would be nothing more than his transit lounge.

We couldn't build towards the future or recruit properly or even go about normal day to days without it being an issue for 2 years.

Game over!

Get the best compensation we can from the deal and move on

I would call their bluff.

They are smack bang in the middle of a premiership window, and they expect people to believe they will appoint a caretaker coach for over two years, and bide their time until Mr 48% is off contract?

They will appoint a high profile coach who will demand at least 3 or 4 years.

In the meantime Nathan will have to decide whether he wants to join his dad at the Tigers, or remain at Penrith longterm under a different Coach.

If we play the long game, we win.

That's a great idea but unfortunately I can't see it happening. This club has been through to much to come out on top in one of those sorts of stand offs.

we fold now and its back to the good ole days. If Ivan drags his feet for 2 years so be it - There is no way Penrith will have a caretaker coach for 2 years.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Penrith played their check mate move in the papers today.

Article saying they will wait the 2 years and sign Ivan at the end of it if they have to. They'll happily stay with Corals.

Can't see the West's Tigers being able to get around that. Even if Ivan cane out and said he was staying we would be nothing more than his transit lounge.

We couldn't build towards the future or recruit properly or even go about normal day to days without it being an issue for 2 years.

Game over!

Get the best compensation we can from the deal and move on

I would call their bluff.

They are smack bang in the middle of a premiership window, and they expect people to believe they will appoint a caretaker coach for over two years, and bide their time until Mr 48% is off contract?

They will appoint a high profile coach who will demand at least 3 or 4 years.

In the meantime Nathan will have to decide whether he wants to join his dad at the Tigers, or remain at Penrith longterm under a different Coach.

If we play the long game, we win.

That's a great idea but unfortunately I can't see it happening. This club has been through to much to come out on top in one of those sorts of stand offs.

we fold now and its back to the good ole days. If Ivan drags his feet for 2 years so be it - There is no way Penrith will have a caretaker coach for 2 years.

Bennett? Two years then retires

This is my last post on Ivan Cleary because I’ve said everything that I wanted to.
I believe Ivan is now poison and anything he does at the tigers from now is just going through the motions, he tried to bring it all to a head for move to the panthers next year but things got out too soon and if the panthers are ok to wait until 2021 for him so they can keep Nathan then it will surely be a much more secretive deal written in blood between Ivan and Gus to bring that to fruition.
We are just delaying the inevitable if Ivan stays on which effects our ability to move forward and become a force.
We don’t have time to sit in a holding pattern for 2 years.
Nathan Cleary is young, he may end up with a career ending injury next week then the game will move on. Ivan led us to believe he could attract Nathan to the tigers but alas you can leed a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.
Ivan’s integrity is shot, he will probably come out now and deny it all and take our pay Cheques whilst he plots future plans for the panthers and Nathan incognito.
I have friends who are panthers supporters, they tell me they would take Brooks and we have Cleary because “Nathan Cleary is not taking the line on”.
I thought the world of Ivan but the deafening silence of his behalf only enforces what I believe to be the truth.

Absolutely pathetic if true. As much as it is a nightmare for us fans, I feel gutted for the players right now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OldBalmainBoy/status/1027451322277101570

Also, not sure if anyone’s heard this.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/news/battle-of-the-big-cats-the-ridiculous-contract-panthers-officials-are-expecting-ivan-cleary-to-sign

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cleary-reunion-can-only-happen-at-concord-says-tigers-chair-20180809-p4zwkf.html

Cleary reunion can only happen at Concord, says Tigers chair

By Adrian Proszenko

9 August 2018 — 5:53pm

Wests Tigers chair Marina Go is adamant that her club is the only place a Cleary family reunion can take place within the next two years, putting the onus back on the Panthers to honour their promise to release their gun halfback if he wants to be coached by his father.

The declaration came as Ivan Cleary’s former teammate and brother-in-law Josh Stuart predicted the coach wouldn’t return to Penrith while Phil Gould remained in charge of the club.

The Panthers have attempted to prise Cleary snr from the Tigers despite the fact he has two years remaining on his contract. He has made no secret of his desire to coach his son, Nathan, who has a year to run on his Panthers contract.

Gould has publicly stated he has no intention of standing in the way of the pair fulfilling their ambition of working together, leading many to believe the Clearys could reunite at the Tigers. However, the sacking of Panthers coach Anthony Griffin - and the pursuit of Ivan Cleary as his replacement - has the potential to make that happen at the foot of the mountains.

The Tigers have reiterated their position that Ivan Cleary is going nowhere before his contract expires, with Go stating the joint-venture outfit is the only place they can work together during that period.

“If [the Panthers] are keen to reunite the coach and son, the only place that could happen over the next two years is at our club,” Go told Fairfax Media.

“If they want that to happen in the next two years, it won’t happen at their club.”

In an interview on NRL360, Griffin painted a picture of Gould as a domineering figure who undermined his attempts to coach the team. While Go wouldn’t comment on another club’s affairs, she said the Tigers provided Cleary with full autonomy when it came to coaching philosophy and recruitment - including if he wanted to sign his son.

“We have a culture where our coach is empowered to build the list he believes will get us to the grand final,” Go said.

“We acknowledge that at times we do it a little bit differently at our club. We’ve been building something very strong and that’s because we’ve basically said ‘here is the salary cap, you need to be compliant, but otherwise it’s up to you’.

“A lot of coaches in the past have said they didn’t have the players they wanted as an excuse for not winning.

“Good cultures remove the excuses and we certainly have.”

The Panthers feel they are close to securing the services of Nathan Cleary on an extended deal, a move that would thwart the Tigers’ hopes of having the star duo on their books. Whether Cleary snr would ask for a release to join him remains to be seen **but Stuart, his brother-in-law, believes that won’t happen while Gould - who sacked Cleary three years ago - runs the Panthers.\
\
“I couldn’t see Ivan going back there while Gus is there,” Stuart said.\
\
“That’s just an opinion. Ivan was gutted [over his sacking]. The way Gus handles things - I don’t want to be seen putting shit on anyone - but he was saying Ivan looked tired and needed a year off. That was the way he tried to sack him. What’s coming out now with Anthony Griffin … he’s a control freak.\
\
“I honestly don’t think Ivan will break a contract. He’s that tight with [Tigers chief executive] Justin Pascoe, I’ve seen it first-hand when I’ve travelled to games.\
\
“They are friends as well as having a business relationship.”**

Ivan Cleary is yet to speak publicly about Penrith’s approach, telling the players on Wednesday he had yet to make a call on his future.

“I’m really proud of the way the club has responded to this particular issue,” Go said.

“Our fans and member have appreciated the way it’s been handled, so I don’t think it’s hurt the club.

“It doesn’t appear to have hurt the relationship with coach and players either.

“There’s a strong bond there and the players know he cares about them, he wants the best for them.

“He hasn’t asked for a release. As far as we’re concerned, it’s business as usual and we’re going to move on. That’s it.

“It’s in times of difficulty that the real strength of the club shines through. I’m really proud of the way the club has stood up this week.”

–--------------

interesting words from Josh Stuart which you'd imagine would be echoed by Ivan's wife ( Josh's sister )

@ said:
Absolutely pathetic if true. As much as it is a nightmare for us fans, I feel gutted for the players right now.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/news/battle-of-the-big-cats-the-ridiculous-contract-panthers-officials-are-expecting-ivan-cleary-to-sign

Well known shit stirrer on facebook

People saying Bennet to Panthers for 2 years then Ivan moves there after he finishes using us and sucking us dry.

@ said:
@ said:

Well known s*** stirrer on facebook

Thanks. There’s so much stuff going around atm and you don’t know what to believe. The writing is pretty much written on the wall but we can only hope for the best possible outcome. Hate that Panthers issues has created ours.

Back