Jack Spencer

Be interesting to see whether McDonnell earns his bonus on this one. Looking forward to watching him have a run for us.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

Good luck to the kid,he may be a diamond in the rough,any way he deserves a shot before we ball him out.

A couple of years in Sydney as a 21yr old.

Sounds like a good deal for both parties

Ps - 96 Kgs isn't that small, Flano looked 85Kgs max

**Jack Spencer heads Wests
Young prop is off to Wests Tigers to try and prove Matt Parish wrong
By Chris Brierley**
>
Jack Spencer was shown the door by new Salford coach Matt Parish at the end of last season.
>
Now the 20-year-old from Swinton wants to prove him wrong by making the grade in Australia.
>
Spencer, a product of the Folly Lane amateur club, flies out to Sydney to take up a part-time contract with NRL giants Wests Tigers.
>
The young prop-forward admits he didn’t have the best of seasons but now he is looking ahead to a new challenge after his **former Salford team-mate Ray Cashmere arranged the move**.
>
“It’s a new challenge for me,” said Spencer who has been a professional at the City Reds for three years
>
“I’ve been at Salford for a long time. I would have liked to have stayed because I’ve supported Salford all my life but it was not to be.
>
“Matt Parish said he wanted to have a chat with me. I went in and he just told me that from what he had seen so far he didn’t want to offer me a contract.
>
“I would have liked to have been part of the team going in to the new stadium but he made his decision and I’m moving on.
>
“Luckily I’ve got this opportunity and I’m thrilled to bits with it.
>
“It’s an opportunity to prove him wrong”
>
Spencer has signed a part-time contract with Wests who finished fourth in the NRL last season and have England stars Gareth Ellis and Chris Heighington in their ranks.
>
“I’ll be training in the evening and they are getting me a job for during the day,” said Spencer.
>
“Hopefully after a while I will get the opportunity to train with the first team once a week.
>
“**Ray Cashmere sorted it all out for me**. He’s been awesome. He’s knows the head of recruitment there and I spoke to him at the end of last season when I knew I was being released by Salford.
>
“I’m over the moon and really looking forward to it.”
>
Spencer has already spoken to another Salford-born prop to make the grade in the NRL. Warrington and England legend Adrian Morley spent three years with Sydney Roosters.
>
He said: “I met up with Mozza after the England game and **he introduced me to Gaz Ellis** of Wests.
>
“He’s been over there and he loves it and says the lifestyle is fantastic.”
>
Spencer knows he has a lot to prove after a disappointing season with Salford where he admits he failed to make an impact on the first team.
>
He said: “It was a disappointing year for me last season and I didn’t perform as well as I know I can.
>
“I didn’t get anywhere near my potential. It was a tough year for everyone last season with everything that was going on with the coaches.
>
“I probably didn’t progress as much as I wanted to and what was expected of me at Salford.
>
“But this is a fresh start and I’m determined to make the most of it.”
>
http://www.cbsport.org/2011/11/jack-spencer-heads-wests/

Well if Cashy referred him then maybe he does have a bit of potential. He'll probably spend most of his time with BRET, but who knows, maybe if Ellis takes him under his wing in the pre-season, you just never know, he might be a good back-up should injuries occur.

Matt Parish earned a pretty good rep coaching up my neck of the woods a few seasons ago I hope this young fella can prove Parish wrong and play apart in some way shape or form

Article keeps referring to him as a prop. He isn't that big though, maybe thats why they let him go. Either way, sounds like he wants to work hard and prove people wrong, happy to see him try his luck!

@LaT said:
Article keeps referring to him as a prop. He isn't that big though, maybe thats why they let him go. Either way, sounds like he wants to work hard and prove people wrong, happy to see him try his luck!

He is 100kg,thats not small.

Its not small, but its not that big either. He is as tall as me and only just heavier by a few kgs….and I like to consider myself a light footed backrower.

:stuck_out_tongue:

He is only 4 kgs heavier than Liam Fulton and 3cm shorter
Still convinced he is a big guy
Not to say that with some hard work in the gym he can't pile on 4-5 kgs in the off season

He might not be super tall or super heavy but he is heavy and tall enough for his size and weight to not be a negative. Temperament/aggression, tackling technique, fitness, ball skills, footwork, attention/concentration, football brain, mobility, work ethic, running lines etc are all important traits that we don't know until we see him go.

Best case scenario he grows into a Matt Scottesque prop or a Heighno style backrower, worst case scenario he becomes a reserve grader for a couple of years.

Well he is on a part time contract - Is coming to Aust very cheap and wanting to prove them wrong back home. Ray Cashmere sorted it out for him.
He is still 20 yrs old and around 102kg (could easily get to 105)
Still not huge but Paul Gallen is 104kg…..

You don't have to weigh 115kg to defend well or make an impact.

Time will only tell how he gets on at the Tigers.

Welcombe to our club Jack unlike others I wish you all the success our club can offer you ! with hard work / dedication and some luck you might realise your dream to play NRL with the mighty Tigers Goodluck.

@Cultured Bogan said:
You don't have to weigh 115kg to defend well or make an impact.

Time will only tell how he gets on at the Tigers.

Yeah but the last thing we need is some more lightweight props who get dominated

The past has shown us why we don't want underweight props

If he is a second rower no issue ,would prefer more mobility over size with my second rowers anyway

Remember your sunscreen young man…..look forward to seeing you run around the park in 2012\. :smiley:

Welcome to the team, Jack, hope you do well. If we keep buying Pommies every year we might have to change our emblem from a Tiger to a Lion! Especially now Heighno is one as well :laughing:

I don't think he will be a prop. Thinking about it a little more, he's probably a replacement for one S. Dwyer for 2012.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I don't really see the point in signing super-league players unless they're actually that good. I mean Ellis is a boon, but flanagan more or less has flown under the radar since he's been here. I'm sure he's decent, but he's no super-star. We already have so many forwards coming through the reserve grades that are home-grown in the likes of Groat, BMM, Woods etc etc, it seems like a bad option for both parties, given the fact that he'll be lucky to get a glimmer of first-grade in australia.

@Mistadobalina said:
I don't really see the point in signing super-league players unless they're actually that good. I mean Ellis is a boon, but flanagan more or less has flown under the radar since he's been here. I'm sure he's decent, but he's no super-star. We already have so many forwards coming through the reserve grades that are home-grown in the likes of Groat, BMM, Woods etc etc, it seems like a bad option for both parties, given the fact that he'll be lucky to get a glimmer of first-grade in australia.

The Tigers need some depth in the forwards as a couple of lower grade forwards have moved on. This kid may just have some decent potential and he's come over cheaply looking to prove himself. Nothing lost by the Tigers in this venture and everything to gain so it's not a bad situation for them.

And the kid gets a year in Sydney, Australia. Who wouldn't jump at the chance!!!! :smiley:

Latest posts

Back