Jack Spencer

Danos

According to a couple of reports from the UK, we've signed another little known Englishman in the same vein as Mark Flanagan. His name is JACK SPENCER and he is a 20 year old Lock/Prop from Salford City Reds, he played just 4 top grade games this year.

Meanwhile, Jack Spencer has been handed a dream chance to make it in Australia after being released by Salford. The 20-year-old has signed a deal with NRL side Wests Tigers after failing to make the grade with the City Reds.
>
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_league/3911415/Brian-McDermott-misses-out-on-top-award.html
\

Jack Spencer, a young prop who failed to make the grade in the Red’s first team will now try his luck with West Tigers in Australia.
>
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/rugby_league/s/1463558_joel-tomkins-cash-call

Interesting! On the Salford City Reds site it says he is a fullback!

Backrower 184cm and 96kg Sheens certainly likes his lightweight backrowers

Cosidering Sheens was going to release Fulton and Highington because he basically wanted more size in the backrow, I find this extremely surprising.

They both have far more talent than Spencer.

A lightweight 25 year old who couldn't make it in Super League … NO thanks

Believe it when I see it.

@gatorman said:
Cosidering Sheens was going to release Fulton and Highington because he basically wanted more size in the backrow, I find this extremely surprising.

They both have far more talent than Spencer.

A lightweight 25 year old who couldn't make it in Super League … NO thanks

Believe it when I see it.

Gatorman Spencer was born in Dec 1990, meaning he is 21 next month. Where did you get 25 from.

I think he is just a backup option. He will be playing statecup me thinks.

100KG+ btw. According to his official profile.

http://www.reds.co.uk/squad/jack-spencer

Lets not write the guy off before any of us have seen him play.
I don't believe he was signed to come straight into the first grade side, but might play a similar role to what Flanagan did. Just fill in for first grade side if there are a few injuries. Good luck to Jack I hope he goes well.

I like it jack spencer father and son play for the tigers won the comp with both so maybe its a sign another spencer another comp

He looks like hes got a giant sized head on a kids body!

Welcome Jack, do us proud!

He could prove being a good backrow backup. He's young and looks pretty fit. If he can defend well he'll be an asset.

flanagan whilst not setting the world on fire never let us down, hopefully this guy can do the same.

@fergiefurr said:
flanagan whilst not setting the world on fire never let us down, hopefully this guy can do the same.

That's it. This bloke has 10kg on Flanagan so if he can defend as well but hit the line with a bit more venom then he'll be handy IMO, plus he'll certainly have some talent around him in the likes of Ellis, Heighno, Blair etc to show him the way.

I saw him play for England as a 16yo, unfortunately he hasn't kicked on at Salford but the coaching there has been disgraceful so hopefully he will improve under a more professional setup.

@The Eclipse said:
I saw him play for England as a 16yo, unfortunately he hasn't kicked on at Salford but the coaching there has been disgraceful so hopefully he will improve under a more professional setup.

So he has some potential then Eclipse

Who would he remind you of as a player Eclipse ?? And what position was he playing ?/
Sorry haven't heard of the young fella until today

Saw this on twitter a few days ago, didn't want to jump the gun.

I'm always for signing forwards from Super League. Luke Burgess was a borderline firsts player when he left Leeds for Souths and then went on to play every game for Souths, and performed very well. Flanagan had mostly played reserves for Wigan and didn't have any worthwhile offers in England, he came to Wests where he excelled comparatively to his time in Wigan. He will now return as big signing for St Helens and will be in the top 17\. Luke Burgess stated Super League had bigger packs and was therefore actually a more difficult comp for him. My theory is English forwards even if they aren't seen as great in super league will always improve in the NRL and surprise people.

Flanagan and Burgess are just two examples, I hope Jack Spencer will be another English forward success story.

Back