James Tedesco Signs with Roosters [Official]

@ said:
Jeez , you're being a bit hard on him.
He's a professional sportsmen, it's his living both now and for after he's finished playing, but a lot of sportsmen are as driven as much by wanting to go as high as they can in their sport as the lure of the money.
Of course they're mercenaries,. Some are just worth more tham others.
Why shouldn't he put himself into a better chance of playing Finals or a GF.
Most players will say that a GF win is the pinnacle in the game.
Why play where most think you have no chance of making those heights?

Tedesco's. no dog.and while I want to see him stay here, if he thinks that by going somewhere else will give him a better chance of getting to the top of his sport, and possibly extend his Career by not having to make his own holes all the times or getting the results of our crap defence heading his way every game, then good on him.
Their careers are short. So once his contract is finished, if he thinks that he is better off somewhere else , I'm fine with it if he uses his head and goes. I'd hate to see it, but it's his life and body and his right to make decisions that are best for him
No Club ever will!!

I'm allowed to be hard on him, I am a supporter! Ultimately my support pays his wage.

I can understand his motivations, certainly, but that doesn't change that any player that leaves and says "I am leaving Tigers for a better team, to play the finals" loses all my respect. Already mentioned, Glenn Morrison is posterboy for that mentality. Ben Te'o is another good example, players are allowed to look after themselves for sure, but club football is built on a tribal mentality, and players who break from the tribe shouldn't expect to be loved.

Or put this another way: I am personally on a decent salary, I work hard for it (most of the time) and I'm decently loyal to my company. Certainly I can choose to leave for better offers, or a better experience, leave my colleagues, and they'd probably understand. But nobody is following my career path, nobody is emotionally invested in it.

Furthermore, Tedesco has the capacity to earn many more times what I do per year, to play football. I don't buy the line "my career is short, want to maximise" for the higher tiered footballers. Even a bloke like Chris McQueen, if he can average out some $400K for 12 years (a modest salary for a good footballer) that's $4.8M in his career. That's 60 times the average Australian wage ($80K).

James Tedesco can set himself up for a comfortable life with 2 or 3 seasons at $1M, and any club that signs him around now will be paying that.

Just heard teddy on 7 news say he just wants to play finals footy, he doesnt care at what club. I cant blame him but it really annoys me to hear this. It sounds like hes made a decision to leave. As bad as things are my one hope was to keep him at least

Maybe he is just sick of having to answer the same questions over & over. I don't think he'll make his decision lightly.

Hopefully he stays!

Put yourself in his position after all that's happened at the club since Farah talked him into staying…
Who could blame him if he went elsewhere?

@ said:
@ said:
Jeez , you're being a bit hard on him.
He's a professional sportsmen, it's his living both now and for after he's finished playing, but a lot of sportsmen are as driven as much by wanting to go as high as they can in their sport as the lure of the money.
Of course they're mercenaries,. Some are just worth more tham others.
Why shouldn't he put himself into a better chance of playing Finals or a GF.
Most players will say that a GF win is the pinnacle in the game.
Why play where most think you have no chance of making those heights?

Tedesco's. no dog.and while I want to see him stay here, if he thinks that by going somewhere else will give him a better chance of getting to the top of his sport, and possibly extend his Career by not having to make his own holes all the times or getting the results of our crap defence heading his way every game, then good on him.
Their careers are short. So once his contract is finished, if he thinks that he is better off somewhere else , I'm fine with it if he uses his head and goes. I'd hate to see it, but it's his life and body and his right to make decisions that are best for him
No Club ever will!!

I'm allowed to be hard on him, I am a supporter! Ultimately my support pays his wage.

I can understand his motivations, certainly, but that doesn't change that any player that leaves and says "I am leaving Tigers for a better team, to play the finals" loses all my respect. Already mentioned, Glenn Morrison is posterboy for that mentality. Ben Te'o is another good example, players are allowed to look after themselves for sure, but club football is built on a tribal mentality, and players who break from the tribe shouldn't expect to be loved.

Or put this another way: I am personally on a decent salary, I work hard for it (most of the time) and I'm decently loyal to my company. Certainly I can choose to leave for better offers, or a better experience, leave my colleagues, and they'd probably understand. But nobody is following my career path, nobody is emotionally invested in it.

Furthermore, Tedesco has the capacity to earn many more times what I do per year, to play football. I don't buy the line "my career is short, want to maximise" for the higher tiered footballers. Even a bloke like Chris McQueen, if he can average out some $400K for 12 years (a modest salary for a good footballer) that's $4.8M in his career. That's 60 times the average Australian wage ($80K).

James Tedesco can set himself up for a comfortable life with 2 or 3 seasons at $1M, and any club that signs him around now will be paying that.

His manager is pulling the strings mate -

If James and his mates played better football and didn't capitulate after half time, maybe they would start to play a bit of finals footy. After all, it really is in their hands, the board can't do it for them and it's a bit rich to be blaming others for what are, after all, their own performances. Teddy hasn't exactly been setting the game alight lately.

We as supporters are tribal once we decide on a team, thats it, we will always follow that team - win lose or draw. Old players were tribal because they played by choice because they loved the game and their club.

No longer the case. The game is now a professional support. There is no loyalty from the clubs and there is no loyalty from the players.

They measure their success by $$'s and GF wins.

I dont have fox, but Hindmarsh since his retirement has copped rubbish from Matty Johns and flecth over never having won a GF and you look at the face of Hindmarsh and you think that must burn.

@ said:
If James and his mates played better football and didn't capitulate after half time, maybe they would start to play a bit of finals footy. After all, it really is in their hands, the board can't do it for them and it's a bit rich to be blaming others for what are, after all, their own performances. Teddy hasn't exactly been setting the game alight lately.

Hard to argue with that.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/03/30/finals-footy-key-signing-tedesco

Looks like bye bye Teddy. My gut feeling is he will leave - and I can't really blame him.

Would have been on more money and a better side at the Raiders right now

We have a full cap to play with and have been linked with quality players who could catapult us easily into the 8 next season. And a pretty handy coach is on his way too. Why are we being written off already?

Pah any player that says they are going to Club X for increase success is both a fool and a dog.

They are foolish because nothing is certain, the fortunes of any club ebb and flow. If you know you are going to play finals football, forget the football, retire and become a professional punter. If you seriously think you know who's going to win this year and next, just put all your money on it, don't bother having to earn it the hard way.

And then say you do join a club like Melbourne who are very good at making finals. Is that enough? Or do you then have to win a GF to ultimately satisfy. How satisfied are Dogs or Broncos fans with recent Grand Finals appearances but lack of wins?

And you are a dog because the salary cap works against ensuring the same teams make the finals all the time. If you leave a club because they don't win enough, you are not just abandoning your team-mates but you are attempting to absolve yourself from that lack of success. Who are the players who move from club to club, short contracts, to maximise success and/or money? That's right, mercenaries.

Remember Blake Ferguson left the Sharks because he wanted to play finals.

SO did Ben Teo, Fifta and Heightington.

If I was him I'd be pretty tempted to go somewhere I didn't have to carry the team every week tbh

He didn't really look like a man going to sign with us tonight on Chanel 10\. Said that he would be looking after no 1 being himself and he wanted to play finals footy something he hasn't done fo 5 years.

Mentioned the board and the instability. Very negative interview.

It is as i feared wanting to win premierships and finals appearances seem to mean more to him than dollars.We dont have the loyalty card to play either.I am pessimistic after hearing him talk

@ said:
Just heard teddy on 7 news say he just wants to play finals footy, he doesnt care at what club. I cant blame him but it really annoys me to hear this. It sounds like hes made a decision to leave. As bad as things are my one hope was to keep him at least

The thing that gets me about this is that it's in their own hands to make the finals. What a statement like Teddy's says is that these guys don't think that they're the players that can take a team to the finals.

I am fairly confident Teddy will re sign, I reckon when Ivan comes down to the club and sits down with James and explains his views for the future and the direction he wants to go and his plans, and after a few wins he'll re sign. Money isn't an issue, winning games is and i don't blame him, we as a club need to start winning and it starts this week against a difficult team in the dragons.

I wouldn't begrudge Tedesco if he took off ,
We're are shambles of an establishment .

Just seen him on TV , asked if he felt the pressure of the fans desperate for him to stay , he said no not really , last contract rushed , looking after number 1 this time , looks like a guy with his mind made up , Not Staying I feel

Im over it. Teddy is a great player and, whilst I would be bitterly disappointed, I wont begrudge him if he leaves. Im at a stage where I can live with it. As good as he is, he clearly isnt the difference between us making the finals or not. The cash he would leave us with would enable us to buy a very handy fullback with change.

In other words, its time to move on. Its time we rebuild this squad from the bottom up. If I was the club i would be imposing a deadline of this Sunday and if they dont sign I would do exactly what Balmain did with Brasher.

The only disappointing thing with all this is that Teddy's actions have cost us Ryan P. Thats been a bit a dog act to the club.

Latest posts

Back