James Tedesco Signs with Roosters [Official]

@ said:
@ said:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/03/30/finals-footy-key-signing-tedesco

Looks like bye bye Teddy. My gut feeling is he will leave - and I can't really blame him.

Would have been on more money and a better side at the Raiders right now

We have a full cap to play with and have been linked with quality players who could catapult us easily into the 8 next season. And a pretty handy coach is on his way too. Why are we being written off already?

Pah any player that says they are going to Club X for increase success is both a fool and a dog.

They are foolish because nothing is certain, the fortunes of any club ebb and flow. If you know you are going to play finals football, forget the football, retire and become a professional punter. If you seriously think you know who's going to win this year and next, just put all your money on it, don't bother having to earn it the hard way.

And then say you do join a club like Melbourne who are very good at making finals. Is that enough? Or do you then have to win a GF to ultimately satisfy. How satisfied are Dogs or Broncos fans with recent Grand Finals appearances but lack of wins?

And you are a dog because the salary cap works against ensuring the same teams make the finals all the time. If you leave a club because they don't win enough, you are not just abandoning your team-mates but you are attempting to absolve yourself from that lack of success. Who are the players who move from club to club, short contracts, to maximise success and/or money? That's right, mercenaries.

"It all comes from the top. The board and the guys upstairs really need to show some stability so we can be confident in our abilities."

Fairly lame comment James. So it is the board's fault that you guys got belted by Canberra and Penrith and gave up a commanding lead against Melbourne. You need the board and guys upstairs to show stability and make your tackles for you. Please. Terrible attitude.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Looks like bye bye Teddy. My gut feeling is he will leave - and I can't really blame him.

We have a full cap to play with and have been linked with quality players who could catapult us easily into the 8 next season. And a pretty handy coach is on his way too. Why are we being written off already?

Pah any player that says they are going to Club X for increase success is both a fool and a dog.

They are foolish because nothing is certain, the fortunes of any club ebb and flow. If you know you are going to play finals football, forget the football, retire and become a professional punter. If you seriously think you know who's going to win this year and next, just put all your money on it, don't bother having to earn it the hard way.

And then say you do join a club like Melbourne who are very good at making finals. Is that enough? Or do you then have to win a GF to ultimately satisfy. How satisfied are Dogs or Broncos fans with recent Grand Finals appearances but lack of wins?

And you are a dog because the salary cap works against ensuring the same teams make the finals all the time. If you leave a club because they don't win enough, you are not just abandoning your team-mates but you are attempting to absolve yourself from that lack of success. Who are the players who move from club to club, short contracts, to maximise success and/or money? That's right, mercenaries.

Remember Blake Ferguson left the Sharks because he wanted to play finals.

@ said:
"It all comes from the top. The board and the guys upstairs really need to show some stability so we can be confident in our abilities."

Fairly lame comment James. So it is the board's fault that you guys got belted by Canberra and Penrith and gave up a commanding lead against Melbourne. You need the board and guys upstairs to show stability and make your tackles for you. Please. Terrible attitude.

As far as I can tell the board is stable, has been for some time. They axed the coach for lack of performances, that's not instability, that's proper management.

Why is it suddenly that removing a non-performer and taking adequate time to replace him is viewed as instability. Are fans and media so impatient these days that 1-2 weeks to make a crucial organisational decision is excessive?

@ said:
Remember Blake Ferguson left the Sharks because he wanted to play finals.

Exactly, and Chris Heighington has won two premierships.

Of course these players want to play finals footy and we as supporters would like some finals appearances as well ,If there was any doubt why Taylor was punted this was it …so for me the right decision was made to get an experienced credentialed coach on board .The players that are holding off must be able to see what possible is around the corner with a full cap ready to spend! ..if they want to move on so be it ,that leaves a lot of $$ to sign some handy types getting a bit over it really .

I could understand the comments if we were still handcuffed salary cap wise next year. You probably would want to explore clubs with better rosters. But we have the cash and soon we will have the coach. Its been said before but this time its actually true. The smoke is starting to clear, we have a clean slate for next year. Its stupid to write the club off at this stage.

@ said:
@ said:

As far as I can tell the board is stable, has been for some time. They axed the coach for lack of performances, that's not instability, that's proper management.

Why is it suddenly that removing a non-performer and taking adequate time to replace him is viewed as instability. Are fans and media so impatient these days that 1-2 weeks to make a crucial organisational decision is excessive?

The board have been extremely good. Taylor was obviously a poor coach and the team were going backwards.

Not looking good for Teddy retention, I understand Teddy wants to play finals football but I'm more concerned as to why he thinks it cant happen at the tigers in the coming years.

We are in the market for players looking to fill the gaps, a new coach is on the way etc.

Cant help but think that the boys may have lost faith in the club management and each other, how quickly attitudes change when we are losing.

From the Tele

KEY TO TEDESCO'S NEXT CONTRACT

James Tedesco says the chance to play finals footy regularly - not money or the coach - will be the key factor in deciding who he signs with from next season.

The star fullback also called on Wests Tigers management to show stability, adding the uncertainty at the joint-venture franchise was hurting the players.

The Tigers are facing a stiff battle to retain Tedesco as well as fellow young guns Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks who are widely viewed as the future of the club.

Tedesco has been linked to Canterbury in recent days while Woods has reportedly attracted interest from the Bulldogs and Warriors.

The Tigers have been success-starved in recent years, failing to make the top eight since 2011.

Tedesco has never played finals football despite being one of the premier fullbacks in the game and the incumbent NSW No.1, and said his priority was to go to a club that was a consistent top-eight contender.

“It’s not about either of those (money or the coach) - it’s about winning games,” Tedesco said.

“Every player wants to be playing finals footy and I haven’t done that for five or six years (since playing under-20s).”

The Tigers last week sacked mentor Jason Taylor after back-to-back floggings with former Penrith and Warriors boss Ivan Cleary expected to be confirmed as the club’s new head coach next week.

Tedesco pleaded for stability and said the side couldn’t fire if things weren’t right off the field.

“It’s pretty clear that we need to get that stable and it’s been unstable for a few years,” Tedesco said.

“It all comes from the top. The board and the guys upstairs really need to show some stability so we can be confident in our abilities.”

Interim coach Andrew Webster will again lead the side into Sunday’s clash with St George Illawarra.

Tedesco, Brooks and Moses have all attracted criticism that they are undeserving of the blue-chip pay packets they’re asking for.

No.6 Moses agreed it was time for him and his fellow playmakers to step up but shrugged off barbs they didn’t deserve their asking price.

“That’s completely up to them,” Moses said of his knockers.

“I’m just going to keep playing footy for the Tigers and get my game up to where it was last year.

“I don’t think we’re too far off. We’re only four games into the season.”

- AAP

Could be wrong but to me it sounds like a guy who is throwing a few excuses out there to try and soften the blow when he tells the world he is off to the Chooks or who ever. I do not know who is in his ear but its not a good look when you want to distant yourself from our poor form. To me it is a bit of a slap in the face to your team mates.

Anyway if he wants to leave that is his call and is entitled to go for what ever reason but you do not have to tell the world why, just thank your club, its supporters and your team mates and walk out the door with plenty of dignity

Articles are often worded to give the impression the journalist is after, but I saw Tedesco interviewed about Ivan Cleary when he made these statements and tbh he looked to me like a guy on the verge of leaving.
He looks to have had enough even if it does seem the club is heading in the right direction.
Would be a massive shame to see him somewhere else.

@ said:
Articles are often worded to give the impression the journalist is after, but I saw Tedesco interviewed about Ivan Cleary when he made these statements and tbh he looked to me like a guy on the verge of leaving.
He looks to have had enough even if it does seem the club is heading in the right direction.

Thats what I thought to, the body language was not good, but I guess the jurnos can sometimes extract responses that they have steered the player into. Anyway I just hope what ever happens, happens soon

@ said:
@ said:

Thats what I thought to, the body language was not good, but I guess the jurnos can sometimes extract responses that they have steered the player into. Anyway I just hope what ever happens, happens soon

I was going off the non verbal. Sure they were questions uncomfortable to answer but he was extremely uncomfortable.
It didn't thrill me his saying he is his number one priority either. "…do what's best for me" = "I'm getting lots of money. Goodbye."
I don't begrudge him. He's just an awesome player the tigers have invested a lot in and I love him playing for them. I'd let any other player go before him.
Still, if he does leave I hope the club gets another good fullback. If Will Hopoate will play Sundays he'd be a decent swap (plus the salary difference).

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Pah any player that says they are going to Club X for increase success is both a fool and a dog

Jeez , you're being a bit hard on him.
He's a professional sportsmen, it's his living both now and for after he's finished playing, but a lot of sportsmen are as driven as much by wanting to go as high as they can in their sport as the lure of the money.
Of course they're mercenaries,. Some are just worth more tham others.
Why shouldn't he put himself into a better chance of playing Finals or a GF.
Most players will say that a GF win is the pinnacle in the game.
Why play where most think you have no chance of making those heights?

Tedesco's. no dog.and while I want to see him stay here, if he thinks that by going somewhere else will give him a better chance of getting to the top of his sport, and possibly extend his Career by not having to make his own holes all the times or getting the results of our crap defence heading his way every game, then good on him.
Their careers are short. So once his contract is finished, if he thinks that he is better off somewhere else , I'm fine with it if he uses his head and goes. I'd hate to see it, but it's his life and body and his right to make decisions that are best for him
No Club ever will!!

What is this, do a story about Woods, a few days later insert the name Tedesco and reprint it, the coach goes then do a new story on Woods reason’s, a few days later insert the name Tedesco and reprint it again.

Aren’t these the same changing reasons supposedly from Woods over the past 2 weeks just with Teddy’s name instead of Woods.

It’s all becoming a bit of a circus from all parties. :crazy

I hate hearing the so called "big 4" being interviewed…listen to Moses on WT TV today....they throw cliche and negative responses back to every question about their future coach, their future etc...I'm getting rather tired of the so called Big 4 and their interviews and am leaning toward giving all of them a huge Sayonara...and poq.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back