OFFICIAL Jarome Luai - #295

People might not like penrith players but the way they play is admirable. They are incredible
If the Tigers had their players they would be three times over the salary cap. They will miss Creighton, who is a true game changer, both with attack and defence. Still, I think the key is in their front row. They have dominated every other pack. While those guys are playing well, Penrith will rarely lose, no matter who is in the backs.
 
Luai revealed he had not yet informed Ciraldo, a former assistant coach at Penrith, of his decision to choose the Tigers over the Bulldogs.

"This is the phone call," Luai said of the press conference he called on Wednesday.

"I've got a lot brothers there (at the Bulldogs) already, and Cam Ciraldo is like my second dad.

"That's why the process has dragged on for quite a while ... that was a tough decision."

No way we get this over the line without Richardson. This shows the Bulldogs were in the mix right up to prior the announcement and it was confirmed by Richardson in the recent interview - he was confident but was never fully sure of which way he would go. A massive turning point - to get the player we wanted ahead of another club.
I also think dropping sheens to install Benji earlier so he is front and centre of everything has worked in our favour here. Benji sells the dream. The HBG trigger pull to wipe clean and bring in Richardson is a masterstroke and if it turns the club around will celebrated. I hope then we look back at the legacy Lee and Pascoe which for positives was more around financial stability, leveraging gov $$ for COE and grounds and putting money in to the start of pathways.

From here we are all hoping we can put behind us the non stop 'from the hip' style comments from Lee and Pascoe throwing footys around pre-game. These two setting the tone and lack of leadership from the top helped to grow a culture of mediocrity and below averageness from front house and socials, merchandising team with anzac shirts, media team fails from tiger town, recruitment council and then the coach and players on the field.
 
Highlights from the 2020 season are what I want to see more from him. Short kicking game, support play and left foot step are things he's got rid of in 2023 which I want to see more of in 2024 with penrith to set himself up. He had top try assists in the NRL in 2020 and had a deadly left foot step. Now he seems to step inside tired forwards like a headless chicken. Hoping Benji can help him with this
it will come back mate. he’s doing his job for Penrith at the minute and playing within a very structured outfit which allows his halves partner to control things almost solely on his own.

he has an elite attacking skillset which will benefit with the chance to be the dominant half. no doubt in my mind he is a success.
 
What do most people see as Jarome’s style of play?
Is he a game manager, does he have a good passing game, long / short kicking game etc?

I’m curious as to what others see in him that they believe will improve our team.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BZN
What do most people see as Jarome’s style of play?
Is he a game manager, does he have a good passing game, long / short kicking game etc?

I’m curious as to what others see in him that they believe will improve our team.
For mine our biggest issue last year was our inability to open up defences once we got into the opposition 20. Jarome fixes that issue immediately, he is a threat running the ball but also creates space for the players playing outside him. I think ice and whoever ends up playing centre outside him will really thrive and take their games to a new level.

I also think he will create more space for Bula by just being an extra option for defences to focus on the left side of the field that Bula seems to focus on.
 
They messed Burton up.

Thought he was a gun at centre.

Horribly unbalanced side.

They actually didn't look that committed last year.

I agree mate Burton is a shadow of the player he was, but thats just as much as taking him out of the panthers system as anything. I don't see how they shift him to the centres either easily anyway with Xerri and Critta there I don't think its a given Critta is a FB.
People wonder why some of our fan talk and compare with the dogs, we are in very similar situations often competing for the same players. I think Gus is doing a number on them, they are going scattergun with their recruitment. You have a woefully unbalanced squad there with a sprinkling of stars without any direction, whereas we are trying to balance our squad.
 
Agree totally that the Panthers should have had the book thrown at them, I'd go so far as to believe had it been a more influential club e.g Roosters or Broncos, the N.R.L would have.
In saying that though all the offers in the world mean nothing if Ivan refuses. He has a mind of his own and iv no doubt he was working behind the scenes with the Panthers to orchestrate it all. But if he refuses the offer, the offer is useless. Imo all the fault lies with him, we've all seen in the past few years that the contracts mean nothing. It's up to the individual to honour it. Like Luai if we now entice him to leave a year early and he does, it's on him. He chooses to leave, he has the option to stay and see it out.
Didn’t marina want to go after them and our gutless board at the time knife her?
 
considering Luia will not be in our colours till November this year there is a real chance this post is going to smash the record for the most pages ever. His every move will now be under the microscope.

Personally I think it’s a great signing. Finally we land a high profile signing, but better, a player who has a point to prove and wants to rub some people’s noses in it.
 
It’s interesting that Luai is 26 and has only played 107 games. Throw in another 20 odd for 2024 and that will take him to 130. Which means there is a good chance by the end of his career, he will have played as many games for us as he did for them. Probably a minor thing, but something I tend to take note of.
 
Quick off the mark. Eyes up footy
Reliable and unpredictable short kicking game. Never say die attitude. I prob don’t have the technical answers you’re looking for.
I also think he’s unpredictable. I’ve always thought he’s one of those players that is a runner and hops around on the spot looking for a defender to make a decision before deciding what to do next. I’ve not really thought of him as the guy who through the pass to set up another player so was keen on others thoughts.
 
Highlights from the 2020 season are what I want to see more from him. Short kicking game, support play and left foot step are things he's got rid of in 2023 which I want to see more of in 2024 with penrith to set himself up. He had top try assists in the NRL in 2020 and had a deadly left foot step. Now he seems to step inside tired forwards like a headless chicken. Hoping Benji can help him with this
He was awesome when he first came into grade, everyone could see his potential a mile away. I think his playmaking skills have been stifled somewhat being under Cleary’s shadow and the structure and style of Penrith’s play that primarily revolves around Cleary. That said, he has still been a great compliment to Cleary in a dominant team, just not really displaying the playmaking skills that he knows he has.

I admire his decision to come to a perennially struggling team such as ours, so he can develop and hopefully showcase his skills more. I think it’s a challenge for him, along with the cash of course, it’s also a great chance for Luai to stamp himself as chief playmaker in a new environment and hopefully lift this team out of the doldrums into the realm of contenders for the first time in many years.
 
He was awesome when he first came into grade, everyone could see his potential a mile away. I think his playmaking skills have been stifled somewhat being under Cleary’s shadow and the structure and style of Penrith’s play that primarily revolves around Cleary. That said, he has still been a great compliment to Cleary in a dominant team, just not really displaying the playmaking skills that he knows he has.

I admire his decision to come to a perennially struggling team such as ours, so he can develop and hopefully showcase his skills more. I think it’s a challenge for him, along with the cash of course, it’s also a great chance for Luai to stamp himself as chief playmaker in a new environment and hopefully lift this team out of the doldrums into the realm of contenders for the first time in many years.
Praying that we are a perfect match for him. He was a Tigers boy growing up. Passion, his talent and hard work will be a great combination for success hopefully
 
Highlights from the 2020 season are what I want to see more from him. Short kicking game, support play and left foot step are things he's got rid of in 2023 which I want to see more of in 2024 with penrith to set himself up. He had top try assists in the NRL in 2020 and had a deadly left foot step. Now he seems to step inside tired forwards like a headless chicken. Hoping Benji can help him with this
If you get a chance watch him in the games where Nathan isn’t playing. Certainly takes on a dominant role in the side and his running game is top shelf.
Even still, his running game even when Nathan was playing was still very impressive.
 
If you get a chance watch him in the games where Nathan isn’t playing. Certainly takes on a dominant role in the side and his running game is top shelf.
Even still, his running game even when Nathan was playing was still very impressive.
Can anyone list some games without Cleary? I could go back on Kayo and watch (which could catch me up on what I've been told I've missed).
 

Staff online

Back
Top