Joel Caine gives his opinion

cktiger

**Former Tiger blasts old club**
The sharpshooter hasn’t missed in his appraisal of yet another disappointing season.

ED CARMINE
WRITER
SEPTEMBER 10, 2021

Former Tiger and current media pundit Joel Caine has slammed his former side after they finished yet another season without a finals berth.
Caine - a Tiger between 1999 and 2003 - stated that far more than just bad luck was at play for the Concord club to miss the eight for the 10th year straight.
“To make the finals in the NRL, you need to be in the top half,” Caine began bluntly on SEN 1170.
“Eight make the finals, eight miss out on the finals in every given year.
“So theoretically, in a salary cap world, it’s a flip of the coin chance for you to be in the finals.
“For those in mathematics, the chances of getting tails ten times, or missing the finals ten times, the odds of that are over 1000 to one.”
The back that finished his stints at Balmain and Wests with just shy of 250-points claimed a lack of leadership within the four-walls of the club's plethora of home bases was a key factor to their perrenial on-field failings.
“What I’d like to ask of the leadership group, is put your hands up if you are playing or performing to the level of your pay-packet,” Caine posed.
“I’m not just talking about on-field, but I’m talking about the standards you set, the way you train.
“For example, at the Melbourne Storm they had three names – (Cameron) Smith, (Cooper) Cronk and (Billy) Slater – yes, they were probably the three highest paid players at the Storm for a very long time, they were also the benchmark setters."
**The 42-year-old added weight to his theory by revealing a disappointing conversation he had previously partaken in with one of the side's current leaders.
“I happened to be at one of the launches for the Wests Tigers and a senior player came up to me and said, ‘Madge is training us too hard and this that and the other, poor me’, a senior player," Caine continued.
"From that moment, I knew we were cooked."**
Due to his use of inclusive language, it is clear that the club still holds a place in Caine's heart, but the man who pulled on a black and gold jersey on 94-occasions suggested the Tigers' woes would continue unless proven victors were added to the their roster next year.
“We need more winners that need to win at all cost,” Caine said.
“We need our leadership group to be the leaders.
“Not just in pay packet, but off the field, setting the benchmark off the field, the way they speak to sponsors the way they lead the way at training sessions.
“We need the leaders, we need competitive types, we need to observe how people play in menial drills, do they want to win?”
Caine then publicly asked the club's current playing list whether they had the gumption held by other sides within the competition when it comes to winning games.
“The most important thing - which you get from the Melbourne Storm, you get from the Bunnies, which you get from the Roosters,” he said.
“Are you staunch? Are you staunch as a player? Are you staunch as a coach? Have you been loyal to the coach?"
Although rumours have been rife that head coach Michael Maguire's expletive laden tenure with the Tigers could well be over should he fall out of favour during the club's internal review, Caine believed the 2014 premiership winning steward was still the right man for the job.
The former Dragon, London Bronco and Salford Red signed off by continuing to question the player's commitment to 'Madge'.
“Michael Maguire, who has given you guys both on and off the field absolutely everything, and that is plain to see," he said in finality.
“Have you been loyal to a bloke that at his last two clubs have won premierships?
“Michael Maguire, is he the problem? No. Michael Maguire is the solution to a 10-year problem.”
The findings of the Tigers' review are yet to be completed and Maguire's future is still to be decided.
Still, a raft of names including Cameron Ciraldo, Wayne Bennett, Kristian Woolf, Brad Fittler, Paul Green, John Morris, Steve McNamara and Shane Flanagan were flagged as Maguire's potential replacements earlier this week.

Gotta ride out this negative publicity for another day or two. All the quotes from everyone about Tigers will stop once the Finals series and well and truly running.

All 8 teams would probably enjoy the spotlight on us.

I know he admitted he's a dud but I don't like him nor do I care what he has to say.

Another that loves to chime in and dogshot us whenever he gets the chance.

Literally everything he has said has already been said and we are all aware.

I feel like we know what our problems are it's just no easy fix...

Shout out my G @Joelcainenumber1fan
But the only J.C.'s opinion I respect is @JC99

@demps said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469465) said:
I know he admitted he's a dud but I don't like him nor do I care what he has to say.

**Another that loves to chime in and dogshot us whenever he gets the chance.**

No he's another one associated with WT in the media. People will go to him for opinion.

He was well on the money - made a lot of sense. Madge knows what is required to win and our squad unfortunately has too many at the opposite end. Plenty that don't know the effort it takes.

Problem is Madge can't recruit and the existing players aren't buying into his vision. Something has got to give...

@demps said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469465) said:

Another that loves to chime in and dogshot us whenever he gets the chance.

❤️❤️

@davey_farrell said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469498) said:
i actually think he had a lot of valid points and i find it hard to disagree with him on everything he says.

But it's just regurgitated things that even 90% of people on here have stated time and time again. He isn't adding anything that we don't already know. Best thing he could do if he gives a rat's about the club is tell management exactly who was the bloke that complained to him about how hard the players were being worked under Maguire......don't insinuate, go to the club and call that player out. That'd be a start at least.

@fade-to-black said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469526) said:
i actually think he had a lot of valid points and i find it hard to disagree with him on everything he says.

But it's just regurgitated things that even 90% of people on here have stated time and time again. He isn't adding anything that we don't already know. Best thing he could do if he gives a rat's about the club is tell management exactly who was the bloke that complained to him about how hard the players were being worked under Maguire......don't insinuate, go to the club and call that player out. That'd be a start at least.

Joel Caine likes to ride the Bandwagon, that's all.

He is entitled to an opinion just like the rest of us on here , we don’t all agree on things here and that’s a good thing , it would be boring as crap if we all had the same opinion and i say Madge is the man goin forward and go the Tigers 👍

@tiger-tragic said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469607) said:
@formerguest said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469563) said:
Don't want to hear anything from a gambling mouthpiece, even with a listen responsibly disclaimer.

A bit selective with that comment, I think. Have you not heard of Wests Ashfield?

Don't agree with that business model either, but allowing publicans, Woolworths and the like to be community blood suckers without a charter is much worse.

@tiger-tragic said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469607) said:
@formerguest said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469563) said:
Don't want to hear anything from a gambling mouthpiece, even with a listen responsibly disclaimer.

A bit selective with that comment, I think. Have you not heard of Wests Ashfield?

https://weststigersforum.com/topic/9299/nrl-s-betting-scandal-tangled-web

Good opinion piece, reflective, non biased observation. Go Weststigers!

@geo said in [Joel Caine gives his opinion](/post/1469605) said:
Who is the player Joel...?

Maybe we need a poll as to which player/players are white anting and running to the media :dark_sunglasses:

The longer we deny that he’s right the longer it takes us to come good, if we ever do.

Latest posts

Back