John Bateman #268

Continuing visa issues has still left Bateman stranded overseas longer than expected.
He won't arrive in Australia anytime soon than we all expected.
It's now certain he won't feature in the opening game.
Let's hope it's something minor and they sort the issue quick smart 🤞

Continuing visa issues has still left Bateman stranded overseas longer than expected.
He won't arrive in Australia anytime soon than we all expected.
It's now certain he won't feature in the opening game.
Let's hope it's something minor and they sort the issue quick smart 🤞
Are you just repeating what's been said in articles over the past few weeks?

Are you just repeating what's been said in articles over the past few weeks?
No mate fresh article earlier this morning

No mate fresh article earlier this morning

It's not an article by a journalist though, just a blogger referencing a previous SMH article.

The longer it drags on the less likely he is to play in the first match of course though

I think the club should come out and tell us supporters what the time frame is and when they expect him to arrive. Can’t see why they would keep this quiet

I think the club should come out and tell us supporters what the time frame is and when they expect him to arrive. Can’t see why they would keep this quiet

Maybe they don't know. I was a project manager and this used to kill me. You have an idea of when something will happen but you don't control it. Once you have a date people start managing to that date even if it's not possible.

One trick people used to use was have a release date and just put whatever they could into that release.

Club won’t know. Visas can’t take months to years.

Hence why there’s a backlog.

Why some people said he would be here in exactly 2 weeks was a bit odd…

Again it’s not just his visa but his whole family

Paul Crawley
Daily telegraph

Tim Sheens concedes he is still waiting on confirmation when star recruit John Bateman will arrive at Wests Tigers, and if the Englishman will even be fit for the start of the NRL season.
But Sheens has shot down rumours that an old ankle injury is the real issue that has caused Bateman’s delayed NRL return.
It comes as Adam Doueihi weighs up a one-year offer to stay at the Tigers beyond 2023, as the club continues its chase for Parramatta’s Mitchell Moses.
Advertisement
In respect to Bateman’s drawn out arrival, there has been speculation swirling throughout the game in recent weeks that the back-rower has an ongoing ankle injury that may even have required recent surgery.
Sheens would not speculate on exact details but brushed aside any concern it was a major issue.
“He has had a problem (with an old syndesmosis injury) but not to the point of any concern for us,” Sheens said.
But the coach was adamant the delay related to a visa issue and nothing more.
“He has got a couple of bumps and bruises on him but he played the World Cup,” Sheens said.
“That (the ankle issue) is not going to be the problem.
Advertisement
“The problem is getting him here and that is almost solved.”
Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens. Picture: NRL Images

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens. Picture: NRL Images
However, with the 29-year-old committing to a lucrative four-year deal to return to the NRL, there is naturally a lot of interest relating to Bateman’s ongoing health given the bruising style of footy he likes to play.
Sheens confirmed there was still no certainty when Bateman would get here.
“I am not putting any time on it because all that does is there is more and more confusion if it doesn’t happen,” he added.
But Sheens seemed confident the legal experts would get it sorted sooner rather than later.
Asked directly if Bateman would be fit to start of the season, Sheens added: “Again, I am not going to make a judgment on that until he gets here because once he gets here he has to fit in with everybody and pick up his running and his kilometres on his legs.
“Whether he does or not (start the season) is not worrying me”.
Meanwhile, Doueihi’s long term future remains up in the air.
Sheens would not comment on the negotiations involving any of his off-contract players, but it is understood the club has recently put a one-year extension to the 24-year-old.
Other clubs are also believed to have shown interest in Doueihi, although all reports are he loves the Tigers and wants to stay.
John Bateman’s arrival at the Tigers remains up in the air. Picture: Gareth Copley/Getty

John Bateman’s arrival at the Tigers remains up in the air. Picture: Gareth Copley/Getty
Doueihi even spoke about his desire to captain the Tigers last week.
Sheens is yet to confirm who will captain the team this season.
But it still seems strange if the Tigers see Doueihi as the long term solution at five-eighth, and even as the potential skipper, why would they only be talking about a one-year extension regardless of whether or not Moses returns to the club.
Luke Brooks also spoke recently about his desire to team up with Moses next year, who he played a lot of his early footy with.
Brooks is also off contract at the end of 2023, and is managed by the same agent as Moses, Isaac Moses.
If the Tigers do end up getting Mitchell Moses, it may well come down to a shootout between Doueihi and Brooks to be his halves partner next year.
Doueihi can also play in the centres and at fullback, but has previously said five-eighth was the position he felt he could reach his potential playing.

Fair to say he is not going to be named for next week's trial unfortunately. :( (n)
If I'm been honest, I am really disappointed with the club and our Chair for not been able to get his visa sorted by now (And I know it not their fault as there is a back log)
Coming up to 2 months now and as he is a key player, I think it's a big lose not having him here gelling with your new team mates.

Fair to say he is not going to be named for next week's trial unfortunately. :( (n)
If I'm been honest, I am really disappointed with the club and our Chair for not been able to get his visa sorted by now (And I know it not their fault as there is a back log)
Coming up to 2 months now and as he is a key player, I think it's a big lose not having him here gelling with your new team mates.
maybe could have pressing family matters in the UK. actually liked his quote ,were he said he was getting on and may not see out his contract,

If there may have been an issue with Batemans visa,why the hell would the old boys club say we have recruited him for 2023 season...once again its amateur hour at the WTs...until he has feet planted on Australian turf then as far as Im concerned he isnt part of the team going forward...speculation and inuendos have been the downfall of this club...if a player signs a contract to play in 2023 onwards then he better be here in 2023,maybe he has family or physical problems,but shouldnt they have been finalised and sorted before he is named as a WTs player...

maybe could have pressing family matters in the UK. actually liked his quote ,were he said he was getting on and may not see out his contract,
Where did he say that?
I have high hopes for him this year

Money sorts out visa issues.
Can’t believe he’s not here already.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back