Junior Tupou #254

@gnr4life said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526154) said:
@jirskyr said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526143) said:
@gnr4life said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526140) said:
@jirskyr said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526138) said:
@mctiger said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526115) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1525129) said:
Brian Smith who played for Balmain in the 90's played for wallabies with Nick farr Jones was pretty average league player

I actually think he could have been an incredible league player but happened to be thrust into the (Balmain) Tigers at our nadir. Alan Jones had sacked Gary Freeman for him and out our performances were at an all time low when he came in.

The fact remains he had incredible skill. IMO the most skillful 7 the Balmain or Wests Tigers have had. His passing game was sublime, particularly his long passing game...on par with Ricky Stuart and his kicking game was incredible. His defence and willingness to do the hard ugly stuff was non existent.

He could have made it IMO but the politics of it all had his cards marked.

My girlfriend at the time put a photo of Brian Smith over mine on her bedside table. He was a good looking dude.

That's why you broke up? Or were you cool about it?

Maybe she was doing it for his benefit? He did say he was a good looking dude.

"And that's when I realised..."

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

?

@demps said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1525036) said:
@colinbh said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1525033) said:
@stryker-69 said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1524989) said:
@gnr4life said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1524937) said:
@tilllindemann said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1524936) said:
@hammertime said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1524930) said:
@tilllindemann said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1524922) said:
This bloke is going to be a star.

Why do you say that?

Was already confident based on his success as a junior, rep honours in two codes. But just looking at him in the most recent training photos, man he looks like an absolute beast.

Idk if that is an accurate way of measuring someone’s ability.

Yeah these dual code reps are useless ?

Yes, you are correct. The Thornet Bros, Mike Cleary, Phil Hawthorn, Ray Price, Steve Knight, Fairfax, Gourlay, Andrew Leeds, Michael O'Connor, Robbie Parker etc etc. Useless the lot of them.

Mat Rogers
Lote Tiqiri
Wendell Sailor

Tuiaki came from Union.

Timana Tahu
Wally Lewis
Ricky Stuart

And also Marika Koroibete

I've got a funny feeling this kid is going to be a really great buy for us.

@slurpee said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526048) said:
The hype around this kid Let’s hope his ability stands up to the hype there’s a lot who have failed

There is no hype. Not a single article about him in the press. Suli made headlines as teenager signs million dollar contract. This kid is in the background which is perfect for him at this stage. Hype will only come when he starts playing in matches and if he's a standout.

@cktiger said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526162) said:

With the Dolphins coming in, WTs has to spot on with identification, recruitment and retention. We are fortunate to have Sheens and Warren McDonnell working us to keep tabs on our players. Ogden, Ngutlik, Tupou, Dillon, Scolari - we have some great young backline talent.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526167) said:
@cktiger said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526162) said:

With the Dolphins coming in, WTs has to spot on with identification, recruitment and retention. We are fortunate to have Sheens and Warren McDonnell working us to keep tabs on our players. Ogden, Ngutlik, Tupou, Dillon, Scolari - we have some great young backline talent.

but most of those players aren't under contract for 2023, or even 2022 really (could leave in an instant if offered NRL contract elsewhere). We need to be careful and manage our assets, identify those who are genuine NRL prospects and secure them

@earl said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526131) said:
He doesn't come across as a moron gangster type. He may have a similar style in that they are big centres who can power over the top of people.

Yep, I get what saying/seeing 👍
Hopefully he's humble off the field and dynamic on the field.
It's amazing how when one penny falls it can cause an avalanche.
It seems like the right sort of players are jumping onboard now.
Some say it's the year of the tiger, some say it's the Sheens factor, who cares, I haven't been this keen for footy for a long time.

@jirskyr said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526138) said:
@mctiger said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526115) said:
Brian Smith who played for Balmain in the 90's played for wallabies with Nick farr Jones was pretty average league player

I actually think he could have been an incredible league player but happened to be thrust into the (Balmain) Tigers at our nadir. Alan Jones had sacked Gary Freeman for him and out our performances were at an all time low when he came in.

The fact remains he had incredible skill. IMO the most skillful 7 the Balmain or Wests Tigers have had. His passing game was sublime, particularly his long passing game...on par with Ricky Stuart and his kicking game was incredible. His defence and willingness to do the hard ugly stuff was non existent.

My girlfriend at the time put a photo of Brian Smith over mine on her bedside table. He was a good looking dude.

That's why you broke up? Or were you cool about it?

I was cool. It made it easier to go to the games!

@cobarcats said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526189) said:
Some say it’s the year of the tiger, some say it’s the Sheens factor, who cares, I haven’t been this keen for footy for a long time.

I'm getting pumped up. I think we have to have low expectations. We have to be considered a bottom 4 team. I think we can outperform that and more importantly build towards the next couple of seasons.

Has he played against adults yet?
Any SR trials against men. Or just age group stuff. Youtube all seems to be age group.
Good luck to the kid. Might be the answer...

@kiwitiger said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526199) said:
Has he played against adults yet?
Any SR trials against men. Or just age group stuff. Youtube all seems to be age group.
Good luck to the kid. Might be the answer...

Dont think he's played men yet he's only 19.

He looks pretty slick though.

@odessa said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1525964) said:
@jedi_tiger said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1525128) said:

Why do you say that?

Was already confident based on his success as a junior, rep honours in two codes. But just looking at him in the most recent training photos, man he looks like an absolute beast.

Yes, you are correct. The Thornet Bros, Mike Cleary, Phil Hawthorn, Ray Price, Steve Knight, Fairfax, Gourlay, Andrew Leeds, Michael O'Connor, Robbie Parker etc etc. Useless the lot of them.

And if it was not for an injury who would have played origin

??
Think you might have the wrong player.

Has anyone here watched him play? Looks an athlete but be interested to see him playing reserve grade for a few months before properly judging him. Could be a star or he could flop who knows

@fade-to-black said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526267) said:

Why do you say that?

??

It was him he was about the 4 choice everyone in from of him got injured and he was a week away or two away and got injured as well he was the number one 5 choice

@jc99 said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526277) said:
Has anyone here watched him play? Looks an athlete but be interested to see him playing reserve grade for a few months before properly judging him. Could be a star or he could flop who knows

I've been down at training a couple of times... I know it's only training but I'm calling Tupou as Stephen Crichton and T'oa as Tim Simona. Potentially. On appearances. With my fingers and toes crossed.

@tigerballs said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526285) said:

I've been down at training a couple of times... I know it's only training but I'm calling Tupou as Stephen Crichton and T'oa as Tim Simona. Potentially. On appearances. With my fingers and toes crossed.

Good to hear mate. Certainly look great athletes, might all come down to learning the game and if they can handle the pressure of it all

This kid looks like he could be the goods but let’s give him time. The only reason he’s being discussed as a first grade possibility is because we are weak at centre

@tigerballs said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526285) said:

Funny, when I seen photos photos of Tupou, his physique reminded me of Chrichton straight away. Just looks like a natural athlete

If he can even be half as good in his first season I’ll be happy with that. We desperately need to discover a gem in the outside backs

@odessa said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526279) said:
@fade-to-black said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1526267) said:

Why do you say that?

??

It was him he was about the 4 choice everyone in from of him got injured and he was a week away or two away and got injured as well he was the number one 5 choice

Yeah? Wow, he was only a borderline 1st grader IMO. They were some dark days back then as a Tigers fan.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back