Junior Tupou #254

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of young outside back Junior Tupou, effective immediately, for the next three seasons.

Tupou will join the NRL squad on a deal that will see him wear Wests Tigers colours until at least the end of the 2024 NRL season.

A New South Wales U/16’s and U/18’s representative player, the 19-year-old played SG Ball for the Canberra Raiders before linking up with rugby union outfit, the Brumbies, for the past year, which also saw him selected for the Junior Wallabies in 2021.

Tupou said he was excited for the opportunity to sign with Wests Tigers.

“When the chance came up to join Wests Tigers, I jumped at the opportunity,” Tupou said.

“I’m really excited for it. I’m looking forward to joining the squad for pre-season training this week and I can’t wait to pull on the Wests Tigers jersey.”

Wests Tigers Coach Michael Maguire said he was pleased to secure Tupou on a long-term deal.“Junior is a bright young talent and we’re pleased to see him back on a rugby league field with Wests Tigers,” Maguire said. “Junior will be a great addition to the talented young squad that we’re building, and I look forward to him joining the team for pre-season.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe congratulated Tupou on his new deal.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to welcome Junior to Wests Tigers,” Pascoe said.

“Junior has shown a great excitement to return to rugby league and we’re all looking forward to watching him take next steps in his development in Wests Tigers colours.”

Tupou will link up with the club immediately as he begins pre-season training with the squad.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2021/11/30/wests-tigers-sign-junior-tupou

Well thank you, I wonder if any relation to Anthony?

But more backs, thank you WT.

@nuggetron said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1512425) said:
We just signed junior Tupou for 3 years

where'd you see this mate? any info or background?

@jrtiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1512428) said:

[link text](https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2021/11/30/wests-tigers-sign-junior-tupou/)

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2021/11/30/wests-tigers-sign-junior-tupou/

U/18 NSW Blue & Junior Wallabies , 19 year old centre - the fact they gave him a 3 year NRL deal must mean they think he could push for a centre spot. At worst I guess the more centre depth we have the better.

@tigerwould said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1512430) said:

[link text](https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2021/11/30/wests-tigers-sign-junior-tupou/)

shoulda checked the website. thanks mate!

this is out of left field, little bit like the Shawn Blore signing. seems to have the pedigree, NSW 16's and 18's rep and a Junior Wallaby. looks like a bit of a coup, signing a player out of nowhere for a position we need. welcome, Junior!

From WestsTigers.com

Junior Tupou is ready for the biggest opportunity of his young career — linking up with Wests Tigers on an NRL contract.

Having played rugby league across his junior career, Tupou spent a year with the Brumbies in rugby union but is now eager for a fresh opportunity in the 13-man code.

Born and bred in New Zealand, Tupou crossed the ditch and moved to Australia as a 14-year-old with dreams of playing in the NRL — a goal he’s aiming to achieve in 2022.

With speed and slick footwork, the new recruit can feature anywhere in the outside backs but has spent most of his career in the centres.

Tupou played for Canberra at the Junior Representative levels, featuring for the Raiders in SG Ball and Harold Matthews.

The talented youngster also played for New South Wales at the U/16’s and U/18’s levels and was called into the Junior Wallabies squad while playing rugby union earlier this year.

He will join the NRL squad on a deal that will see him wear Wests Tigers colours until at least the end of the 2024 NRL season.

“I’m really excited for the opportunity to link up with Wests Tigers,” Tupou said “When the chance to come to Wests Tigers came up, I jumped at the opportunity.”

“I’m looking forward to joining the squad for pre-season training this week, and I can’t wait to pull on the Wests Tigers jersey.”

Tupou has the goal of making his NRL debut, but is prepared to bide his time while learning off the senior players at Wests Tigers.

“I’m excited to play alongside so many talented players at the club, but the guy I’m looking forward to playing with the most is Adam Doueihi,” Tupou said.

“He’s been one of the best players over the past couple of seasons and I’m eager to learn off him.

“It would be a dream of mine to play in the NRL and it would mean so much to me and my family if the opportunity arose to make my first grade debut.”

It certainy follows the policy of signing players for the future of the club and being an outside back is a plus.No complaints from me

Wow that's left field, good wraps on him. Can't say I watched a minute of super rugby last year, anyone see him play at the Brumbies?

@jrtiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1512432) said:
@tigerwould said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1512430) said:

shoulda checked the website. thanks mate!

Two articles now on there about Junior Tupou

@tigerwould said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1512434) said:
From WestsTigers.com

Junior Tupou is ready for the biggest opportunity of his young career — linking up with Wests Tigers on an NRL contract.

Having played rugby league across his junior career, Tupou spent a year with the Brumbies in rugby union but is now eager for a fresh opportunity in the 13-man code.

Born and bred in New Zealand, Tupou crossed the ditch and moved to Australia as a 14-year-old with dreams of playing in the NRL — a goal he’s aiming to achieve in 2022.

With speed and slick footwork, the new recruit can feature anywhere in the outside backs but has spent most of his career in the centres.

Tupou played for Canberra at the Junior Representative levels, featuring for the Raiders in SG Ball and Harold Matthews.

The talented youngster also played for New South Wales at the U/16’s and U/18’s levels and was called into the Junior Wallabies squad while playing rugby union earlier this year.

He will join the NRL squad on a deal that will see him wear Wests Tigers colours until at least the end of the 2024 NRL season.

“I’m really excited for the opportunity to link up with Wests Tigers,” Tupou said “When the chance to come to Wests Tigers came up, I jumped at the opportunity.”

“I’m looking forward to joining the squad for pre-season training this week, and I can’t wait to pull on the Wests Tigers jersey.”

Tupou has the goal of making his NRL debut, but is prepared to bide his time while learning off the senior players at Wests Tigers.

“I’m excited to play alongside so many talented players at the club, but the guy I’m looking forward to playing with the most is Adam Doueihi,” Tupou said.

“He’s been one of the best players over the past couple of seasons and I’m eager to learn off him.

“It would be a dream of mine to play in the NRL and **it would mean so much to me and my family if the opportunity arose to make my first grade debut.**”

This is what we need imo, desire to play?

Here's a clip from his SG Ball days scoring two as Canberra beat Balmain. Didn't have a huge amount to do but looked powerful and fast with a decent step.

https://youtu.be/GrGQ8aaLbPc

Props to Hartigan and Sheens’ grandmother for getting the deal over the line.

after having a bit to process, this signing shows the lack of faith the club has in Hoffman & Kei as genuine centre options next year. Talau is a while off, Kepaoa off an ACL and Gildart a complete unknown at this stage. unsure what Tupou brings but to coerce him to switch back codes on a 3 year deal indicates that the club thinks he's worth it. I guess we'll know more come trial games.

@jrtiger said in [Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou](/post/1512448) said:
after having a bit to process, this signing shows the lack of faith the club has in Hoffman & Kei as genuine centre options next year. Talau is a while off, Kepaoa off an ACL and Gildart a complete unknown at this stage. unsure what Tupou brings but to coerce him to switch back codes on a 3 year deal indicates that the club thinks he's worth it. I guess we'll know more come trial games.

It is always good to have options and that is what the club seems to be doing

Back