Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

So what are the chances for each of our junior rep teams this year? Both Wests teams look pretty strong. Don't know much about the Balmain teams.

The Wests Matts should have a good chance to follow the team from 2 years ago. I hear the prop from Penrith, Moors is looking good. I assume all the eligible boys will be playing here also.

Last edited:
14 of 17 who played in the harold matts grandfinal are still with us good sign I think.
Any idea why Nate Gallagher and Lachlan Bush are not amongst them ?
Gallagher looked to be an outside back with good height and size who carried the ball strongly and Bush looked a whole hearted middle forward who always added something when coming off the bench,

Gallagher looked to be an outside back with good height and size who carried the ball strongly and Bush looked a whole hearted middle forward who always added something when coming off the bench,
I couldn’t find their names in the other squads. Not too familiar with our juniors so my guess is they possibly went elsewhere.

Gallagher probably told that there were a few ahead of him. We supposedly have picked up some quality outside backs from Manly with the Taotua brothers and Levy. Add in Willett, Craig and L. Laulili'i and something has to give.

Think I heard Gallagher signed with the Sharks mid year

I’ve compared our pathways squads to last season to see who may have moved on or has missed selection. Some of these (Sheck, Tavana, Ata, O’Kane) have probably gone the way of rugby, all the others just down our pecking order.

I would have liked to see Elijah Mataale stay, I thought he had some ability as a powerful middle.

These are the notable exclusions:

NSW Cup
Lomi Saukuru
Livai Saukuru – previous SG Ball Best Back
Michael Tannous

Jersey Flegg
Tray Lolesio – Jersey Flegg player’s player ‘22
Elijah Mataale – SG Ball Best Fwd ‘23
Tino Tavana – previous Harold Matts Best Back, Waratahs U18s
Lipina Ata – SG Ball Coaches Award ’23, Waratahs U18s
Luke Prebble – Laurie Daley Cup B&F ‘23
Zac Gibson - Laurie Daley Cup Best Back ‘22

SG Ball
Alex Conti
Mikey Nasser
Cooper Clarke
Sosefo Finau
Charlie O’Kane
Kaisara Tuimauga
Edwin Langi

Harrold Matts

Isaiah Sheck
Paul Johnson

Wests HM is the team to watch across the Pathways. really exciting group with a great spine, electric outside backs and a number of really talented forwards. there's rightly a lot of talk about the Large brothers and Makasini going into the season, but I think Ali Karnib's profile will skyrocket as well. super talent.

Wests SG Ball will be weaker given four of its best players have been elevated to higher grades, but my word it is still a great side. I'm not sure on positions, but any side with Mason, L. Laulili'i, Willett, Craig, Waqa, Mitch Taotua, Quiroz-Mapusua and Keppie is going to turn heads. the key is the middles. they will miss Miller but providing they do their jobs, they could go very deep into the tournament.

Balmain isn't my strongpoint, but losing Conti and Nassar does hurt the SG Ball side no matter which way you look at it. I've never had huge raps on Marc Tannous but the club seems to rate him, so hopefully an NRL preseason would've enhanced his skillset further. Lewandos needs to step up too after what I heard was a quiet year last year.

Last edited:
Wests HM is the team to watch across the Pathways. really exciting group with a great spine, exciting outside backs and a number of really talented forwards. there's rightly a lot of talk about the Large brothers and Makasini going into the season, but I think Ali Karnib's profile will skyrocket as well. super talent.

Wests SG Ball will be weaker given four of its best players have been elevated to higher grades, but my word it is still a great side. I'm not sure on positions, but any side with Mason, L. Laulili'i, Willett, Craig, Waqa, Mitch Taotua, Quiroz-Mapusua and Keppie is going to turn heads. the key is the middles. they will miss Miller but providing they do their jobs, they could go very deep into the tournament.

Balmain isn't my strongpoint, but losing Conti and Nassar does hurt the SG Ball side no matter which way you look at it. I've never had huge raps on Marc Tannous but the club seems to rate him, so hopefully an NRL preseason would've enhanced his skillset further. Lewandos needs to step up too after what I heard was a quiet year last year.
Heath Pritchard was excellent for Westfields this year as well. Gee we have a conveyor belt of hookers at the Tigers!

Think I heard Gallagher signed with the Sharks mid year
He was named in our extended squad named a few weeks back, so I would presume he has not made the Final Cut.
I understand we have recruited some players who are highly regarded, particularly in the backs, so it’s quite likely he was advised he wouldn’t be in our starting line up when at full strength and has therefore headed elsewhere.
Hopefully he might return next season as he looked to have ability with his strong ball running and willingness to get involved when I’ve watched him play a couple of times.
Watched a YouTube showing of Balmain v Souths SG Ball trial last night. Looked ti be a few decent prospects amongst the Balmain boys, the starting hooker wearing number 9 looked ti be a very strong ball runner.

Just watched the highlights of the younger Large, I knew he could run but surprised by how strong he is defensively.

So a few new faces so far in Anyone know much about these boys in the Balmain setup? Other than the Keebra boy Xavier, I haven't heard of any of them. Wests are largely local boys, no new additions from outside the system other than a couple of the Manly boys:

View attachment 9825
View attachment 9826
View attachment 9827
Christian Taula - prop and selected in Langer Cup Team of the year 2023
Cooper Petterson - halfback North Coast
Levi Gwynne Tui'Tahi - prop or No 8 and selected in the NZ Under 18 Rugby 7s - listen to him below

Navrin Willett who is with Wests is from Taree and was originally allocated to Balmain when I first read about his signing.

Back