Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

Did any 1 watch the cubs game how did we go?
Yeah I watched 3/4 of it. We got beat 34 to 18 in the end I think it was. Were down 24 nil early and apart from a try either side of a break, never seemed in the contest. A fair bit of dropped ball from our lads, and they made us pay.

Most our guns in that age group weren't playing.

A few that stood out to me.

Cameron Kanaan looked threatening but came up with a few key errors. I think there is a good footy player in him if they develop him right. They swapped him and Oitmann between wing and fb which was interesting.

Joey Raad (centre) was pretty dangerous with the ball, had some good strong carries out of our end.

A couple of big boppers looked strong...Jekope Sovau had some good carries and agression in defence. However he got 1 tackle horribly wrong above the horizontal (got 10 in the bin but was lucky to not be sent off imo).

The number 19 scored 2 tries...commentary said it was Jordan Bunt....but I think it was Douglas Tuala. Big bloke who was hard to stop from short range!

Last edited:
Yeah I watched 3/4 of it. We got beat 34 to 18 in the end I think it was. Were down 24 nil early and apart from a try either side of a break, never seemed in the contest. A fair bit of dropped ball from our lads, and they made us pay.

Cameron Kanaan looked threatening but came up with a few key errors. I think there is a good footy player in him if they develop him right. They swapped him and Oitmann between wing and fb which was interesting.

Joey Raad (centre) was pretty dangerous with the ball, had some good strong carries out of our end.

A couple of big boppers looked strong...Jekope Sovau had some good carries and agression in defence. However he got 1 tackle horribly wrong above the horizontal (got 10 in the bin but was lucky to not be sent off imo).

The number 19 scored 2 tries...commentary said it was Jordan Bunt....but I think it was Douglas Tuala. Big bloke who was hard to stop from short range!

I watched most of the replay on the Wests Tigers Pathways facebook page. Agree with your review @Tigers_Wests , what let us down were a few crucial mistakes (not many). I thought we were generally good but Warrington was very well drilled & didn't make that many handling errors.

In addition to the players you mentioned, I thought Oitmann was a livewire, has very good leg speed and acceleration. Our dummy halves Pritchard & Aaron Keppie were good and Folaumoetui & Tuala added some much-needed impact in the middle.

Yes Sovau is a real x-factor, solid, powerful, fast & quick feet. I could see him playing middle, edge or even centre. His speed & footwork for a lad of his size/shape seems above average.

I watched most of the replay on the Wests Tigers Pathways facebook page. Agree with your review @Tigers_Wests , what let us down were a few crucial mistakes (not many). I thought we were generally good but Warrington was very well drilled & didn't make that many handling errors.

In addition to the players you mentioned, I thought Oitmann was a livewire, has very good leg speed and acceleration. Our dummy halves Pritchard & Aaron Keppie were good and Folaumoetui & Tuala added some much-needed impact in the middle.

Yes Sovau is a real x-factor, solid, powerful, fast & quick feet. I could see him playing middle, edge or even centre. His speed & footwork for a lad of his size/shape seems above average.
Yeah Oitmann certainly has some acceleration and speed. Should only get better with experience moving through the grades.

I reckon when you see some of these players combine with the stronger players left out, they will go to another level too. Should be some very strong/competitive teams running out in HM and SG Ball next season.

Joseph Raad and Riley Oitmann were standouts along with Tuala and Sovau in the forwards. Kannan looks like a winger more than a fullback. Early days the boys dont start training officially until this week. The Warrington half and fullback were dangerous everytime they touched the ball.

Joseph Raad and Riley Oitmann were standouts along with Tuala and Sovau in the forwards. Kannan looks like a winger more than a fullback. Early days the boys dont start training officially until this week. The Warrington half and fullback were dangerous everytime they touched the ball.
Good call re Kanaan as a winger. We need tall, fast, elusive & powerful wingers coming through especially tall who are good at taking cross field kicks!

Nope, don’t think he’s with the club anymore.

Leon Latulipe is the new Flegg coach.

Is Chris Yates, the Balmain SG Ball coach, the former Wests Magpies' fullback?

Does anyone know what has happened with Robbie Mears?

I thought he was one we were progressing through the coaching ranks with his premiership-winning Magpies Harold Matts players.
I thought the same.
He was a fierce competitor as a player and I would have thought those same traits would make him a good coach.

NBWT reported that Onitoni Large captained the Waratahs to a win in the National U16s Super Rugby Final, with Large and Makasini both scoring in a 22-8 win over QLD. Large also captained NSW CIS to the Australian Schoolboys League championships last year. Building a pretty decent resumè

Nope, don’t think he’s with the club anymore.

Leon Latulipe is the new Flegg coach.

Yeah I've been wondering where he is. He was the best junior coach we had, think he's been headhunted elsewhere and we chose not to fight enough for him

A great story on Ch9 for WTs about Eagle Vale HS becoming a Sports High from 2025. The State Govt has set aside $4m for the purpose and the Premier, Prue Carr (Education MP) were present. Brett Kimmorely spoke about how important the school will be in keeping young talent in the area for WTs. He was impressive as was Tallyn De Silva who demonstrated far more maturity than many NRL players (the ones that come to mind are not WTs' players). His younger brother was present and spoke well about how he would like to be part of the programme. I know many on the forum like to circle the wagons when it comes to the media and WTs, but this is hugely positive for the club.

A great story on Ch9 for WTs about Eagle Vale HS becoming a Sports High from 2025. The State Govt has set aside $4m for the purpose and the Premier, Prue Carr (Education MP) were present. Brett Kimmorely spoke about how important the school will be in keeping young talent in the area for WTs. He was impressive as was Tallyn De Silva who demonstrated far more maturity than many NRL players (the ones that come to mind are not WTs' players). His younger brother was present and spoke well about how he would like to be part of the programme. I know many on the forum like to circle the wagons when it comes to the media and WTs, but this is hugely positive for the club.
Yeah 10 news had the story too

Back