Justin Olam #281

I have no idea what we are rumoured to be paying Justin Olam should he sign with us, but I would say 600k is far too much, if we are paying him around 425k for 2024 and 2025 it would appear to well worthwhile.
It’s a danger he could be well past it in 2026.

Last edited:
I think some people are being a bit anxious in regards to Olam and Luai in regards as to how their performances for us will be..
Firstly we have to wait and see what happens this year if Olam does arrive and secondly Luai will be a very very good addition to our squad in 2025...
Both are highly professional athletes and have shown during their respective seasons their worth in an NRL team...
You must remember that some players dont always transition easily from one system that they have been successful in for a long while to a new and different environment...
I think they both play a big part in this team and club going forward,however patience will play a big part of all the footy department from now until 2025,Benjis first full year as head coach,Richo,Morris and some very young talent...
In my honest opinion we have to let the dust settle after the board dismissal,get behind the recruits,staff,club and let the pieces fall into place for a big 25/26....

It’s just the money being offered and the roster spot for 3 years. U guys have Ben harping on about Nofa’s contract, and yet a guy on the slide u want to lock up? If it was much less money and one too two years then fine, worth the gamble.
I dont get that.

Look if he comes I’ll back him, but I don’t think it’s a smart move. Next year is basically a right off, dress rehearsal fir the new halves and fir the new coach. A lot of players may get pushed out next year that might be better. I’d rather back a kid than a has been.
I can see ur point but it looks like the storm are going to be paying a large part of his wages . I look at it this way we need backs who can break defences, at present are centres are average at best , the kids are no where near playing 1st grade, we need a good year this year to attract more class signings for next year , we have waited 10 odd years , the waiting is over it’s time to make things happen. I like u hope he preforms lets x are fingers , cheers buddy

I think some people are being a bit anxious in regards to Olam and Luai in regards as to how their performances for us will be..
Firstly we have to wait and see what happens this year if Olam does arrive and secondly Luai will be a very very good addition to our squad in 2025...
Both are highly professional athletes and have shown during their respective seasons their worth in an NRL team...
You must remember that some players dont always transition easily from one system that they have been successful in for a long while to a new and different environment...
I think they both play a big part in this team and club going forward,however patience will play a big part of all the footy department from now until 2025,Benjis first full year as head coach,Richo,Morris and some very young talent...
In my honest opinion we have to let the dust settle after the board dismissal,get behind the recruits,staff,club and let the pieces fall into place for a big 25/26....
Great reasoning my old friend!

Richo has said our roster needs to be augmented and would say some of the average players will be moved on. Naden, Nofo, Toa, AJ to free up roster spots and cash.

Staines & Bula probably only ones safe atm given Tupou is gone.
Don't disagree....
But that has nothing to do with what I was commenting on...
Which was I can't see Nofo getting a game over the names I (And you've) mentioned.

Either way,
Those names we've mentioned are part of the reason we have the spoon - Who's buying them?
There's Outside Backs lined up around the block at most clubs...

If nothing else he will bring a lot of experience to our backline and help mold young blokes for first grade,we have very little talent in the centres applying pressure in the near future.I can see only positives on having him with us
We don't need experience, we need quality. Look at the panthers outside backs for the last four seasons, no experience there. They got rid of Mansour (their experienced back) for a reason, the same reason Melbourne are trying to offload Olam.

I have no idea what we are rumoured to be paying Justin Olam should he sign with us, but I would say 600k is far too much, if we are paying him around 425k for 2024 and 2025 it would appear to well worthwhile.
It’s a danger he could be well past it in 2026.
I reckon $425k would be enough to pry some outside backs from the panthers

I’m not totally against signing Justin Olam.
At his best he was quite often in the Storm’s best 3 players and could lift a team with his whole hearted style of play.
It is a concern that he may be physically and mentally spent after quite a few seasons of putting his body, heart & soul on the line every time he played.
I suppose the question is how badly do we need a centre in 2024 and is there anyone better available from 2025 onwards ?
At the end of the day I see 2024 as a season where we certainly need to improve, but it should be largely used as a season to determine which players we want and need moving forward.
NRL centres such as Bailey Simonsson and Reimis Smith are currently available for 2025 and would not cost too much for what they can offer.
Both are tall, fast, strong, athletic centres converted from wingers and both will be around the 26/27 year old mark come 2025, therefore would ideally have 2 or 3 of their best years ahead of them.
I particularly like Simonsson as he plays with high energy which would only benefit from playing along side Jerome Luai and his high energy style of play.

Last edited:
I’m not totally against signing Justin Olam.
At his best he was quite often in the Storm’s best 3 players and could lift a team with his whole hearted style of play.
It is a concern that he may be physically and mentally spent after quite a few seasons of putting his body, heart & soul on the line every time he played.
I suppose the question is how badly do we need a centre in 2024 and is there anyone better available from 2025 onwards ?
At the end of the day I see 2024 as a season where we certainly need to improve, but it should be largely used as a season to determine which players we want and need moving forward.
NRL centres such as Bailey Simonsson and Reinis Smith are currently available for 2025 and would not cost too much for what they can offer.
Both are tall, fast, strong, athletic centres converted from wingers and both will be around the 26/27 year old mark come 2025, therefore would ideally have 2 or 3 of their best years ahead of them.
I particularly like Simonsson as he plays with high energy which would only benefit from playing along side Jerome Luai and his high energy style of play.
Simonsson can't catch or tackle. He's absolutely dreadful

Back