Knights Interest In Brooks

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506346) said:
Why aren't the Knights chasing Hastings?

They know Brooks will probably get pushed out because Hastings will be the preeminent 7 in the comp. It's a money ball play.

@gnr4life said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506312) said:
Our club has the high ground here. You’d think they’d use it.

![images (1) (17).jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1637029325937-images-1-17.jpeg)

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506346) said:
Why aren't the Knights chasing Hastings?

Because Hastings' manager isn't trying to orchestrate a move

@tiger_scott said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506406) said:
We need a win from this. Not just for on the field, but off it as well. Whether that is us standing our ground and the Knights getting a tampering fine or us getting a player or two in return. We shouldn't be paying a cent of his contract either or I see zero point in his release. Players from the Knights I'd consider, assuming that they won't let Ponga go: Best, Frizzell, Klemmer or Fitzgibbon + another. Needs to be in the ballpark of contract value (compared to Brooks), with both parties taking the full hit.

No to Fitzgibbon, he's terrible. Only has a contract coz Daddy is the Knights major sponsor and former Director

Maybe I've mixed him up with the other Knight's backrower? One of them goes okay

@tiger_scott said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506418) said:
Maybe I've mixed him up with the other Knight's backrower? One of them goes okay

Barnett?

Yes, that's the other one. I just can't remember which one of the two I like :) . That being the fact, scratch 'em off the list and just go for the good ones!

@snake said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506375) said:
@supercoach said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506310) said:
Do you think any club takes any notice of the NRL when it comes to talking to contracted players. I guess some are more discreet than the Knights, but player management and clubs are plotting moves all the time.

I will be surprised if Brooks is at the club come round one. Just to much chatter from to many people about the subject. Once again the club needs to get something out of this for a change. I guess our lack of a goal kicker for the first half of the season may stop the Tigers doing adeal

Agree the chatter is out there so this could be on , there definitely is a group of players that want nothing to do with Maguire .. the club has made its bed how Maguire is still the coach is beyond me !

Let’s be honest there was no better coach available there was Bennett and they did try to sign him but he said no due to wanting to go back to QLD and wanting to coach the Dolphins and they didn’t trust Flanagan because of what happened when he was Sharks coach so they gave Madge another chance but different assistant coaches were appointed but I do think if Madge doesn’t make the 8 this year he’s done or maybe if he does get close like 9th or 10th he might be spared but if we finish lower than this season he’s definitely gone and Ben Gardiner would take over as first grade coach

Tigers made their comment already, I think just ignore the noise. Knights can continue to talk about it but they are starting to look foolish to keep mentioning it.

Also Knights not breaking any rules technically, they are allowed to comment about who they'd like and why, without actually doing anything about it.

Yes, the comments members of the Knights coaching staff are making are illegal. Make no mistake about that. It's against the rules and we should be pushing the nrl to come down hard on them, regardless whether we end up releasing him.

It's different if it's just a former great, like Chief, saying i think Brooks would go well at Newie and would love him to join. This is official staff members, makes a big difference when they're officially enducing a player to break a contract. They're not even leaving it to the agents and media, they're actively saying it themselves. Stupid, reckless, and they need to be punished for it.

@balmain-boy said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506457) said:
Yes, the comments members of the Knights coaching staff are making are illegal. Make no mistake about that. It’s against the rules and we should be pushing the nrl to come down hard on them, regardless whether we end up releasing him.

I bet you it's actually not illegal by letter of the law.

Illegal to approach a player about a contract, not illegal to talk favourably of a player. If Pascoe came out tomorrow and said "sure we'd love to have Cameron Munster in our side, he's a quality player" there would be nothing illegal about that.

I find it all quite pointless anyway, surely if the Knights really want to engage Brooks about 2022 they just put the word out to his manager on the sly. They can speak to his manager about his individual circumstance, an "inquiry" without actually making contract overtures. I don't think the media talk is for the player himself, I think it's for the fans/sponsors/media.

@jirskyr said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506460) said:
Yes, the comments members of the Knights coaching staff are making are illegal. Make no mistake about that. It’s against the rules and we should be pushing the nrl to come down hard on them, regardless whether we end up releasing him.

Illegal to approach a player about a contract, not illegal to talk favourably of a player. If Pascoe came out tomorrow and said "sure we'd love to have Cameron Munster in our side, he's a quality player" there would be nothing illegal about that.

I find it all quite pointless anyway, surely if the Knights really want to engage Brooks about 2022 they just put the word out to his manager on the sly. They can speak to his manager about his individual circumstance, an "inquiry" without actually making contract overtures. I don't think the media talk is for the player himself, I think it's for the fans/sponsors/media.

It’s a high risk tactic. Knights are not in a much stronger position than us. Can you imagine the discussion here if we were making noises like this about signing a contracted player? If it was Lee?

If they don’t get Brooks they look pretty ridiculous/desperate. This place would be melting down

I think the knights are just agitating almost distracting the media with that talk. The media love to write about the tigers because we have many fans on onlookers who love watching a car crash.

Our club has made several statements confirming he is staying. But guys like weedler don’t stop because people don’t stop clicking on his click bait articles.

Do you think any club takes any notice of the NRL when it comes to talking to contracted players. I guess some are more discreet than the Knights, but player management and clubs are plotting moves all the time.

I will be surprised if Brooks is at the club come round one. Just to much chatter from to many people about the subject. Once again the club needs to get something out of this for a change. I guess our lack of a goal kicker for the first half of the season may stop the Tigers doing adeal

Agree the chatter is out there so this could be on , there definitely is a group of players that want nothing to do with Maguire .. the club has made its bed **how Maguire is still the coach is beyond m**e !

Easy, he is the best available. It’s the players who need to step up, not the coach.

One thing for sure is this. Knights have let Pearce go, so they have their answer already. They just havent told us. You dont make that decision and hold onto someone indefintiely, and then announce his departure before you have something else locked in.

As Ive mentioned, this is player manager driven. It has nothing to do with doing the best for their client either, it has everything to do with getting enough contracts at a club so you can effectively control that club, as they did with WT some years ago. Player Managers would kill their own grandmother if there was a $$.

@tigerwest said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506480) said:

Agree the chatter is out there so this could be on , there definitely is a group of players that want nothing to do with Maguire .. the club has made its bed **how Maguire is still the coach is beyond m**e !

Easy, he is the best available. It’s the players who need to step up, not the coach.

Maguire needs to step up.

@tigerwest said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506480) said:

Its both.

@tiger5150 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506461) said:

It’s a high risk tactic. Knights are not in a much stronger position than us. Can you imagine the discussion here if we were making noises like this about signing a contracted player? If it was Lee?

If they don’t get Brooks they look pretty ridiculous/desperate. This place would be melting down

Seriously, On Paper the Knights are a much better side than the performances suggest...
That's why the Agent needs a Brooks release - That coach has bigger problems than ours... Great squad and cant do crap with it.

The need a Halfback NOW, Another ordinary year - It's 60% or better they'll lose Ponga - They lose him... They've wasted 10 years.

@batboy said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506503) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506461) said:

Seriously, On Paper the Knights are a much better side than the performances suggest...
That's why the Agent needs a Brooks release - That coach has bigger problems than ours... Great squad and cant do crap with it.

The need a Halfback NOW, Another ordinary year - It's 60% or better they'll lose Ponga - They lose him... They've wasted 10 years.

Wasn't Drinkwater linked to the Knights or is that more fanciful darts on a board from the press?

Latest posts

Members online

Back