Knights Interest In Brooks

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506507) said:
@batboy said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506503) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506461) said:
@jirskyr said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506460) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506457) said:
Yes, the comments members of the Knights coaching staff are making are illegal. Make no mistake about that. It’s against the rules and we should be pushing the nrl to come down hard on them, regardless whether we end up releasing him.

I bet you it's actually not illegal by letter of the law.

Illegal to approach a player about a contract, not illegal to talk favourably of a player. If Pascoe came out tomorrow and said "sure we'd love to have Cameron Munster in our side, he's a quality player" there would be nothing illegal about that.

I find it all quite pointless anyway, surely if the Knights really want to engage Brooks about 2022 they just put the word out to his manager on the sly. They can speak to his manager about his individual circumstance, an "inquiry" without actually making contract overtures. I don't think the media talk is for the player himself, I think it's for the fans/sponsors/media.

It’s a high risk tactic. Knights are not in a much stronger position than us. Can you imagine the discussion here if we were making noises like this about signing a contracted player? If it was Lee?

If they don’t get Brooks they look pretty ridiculous/desperate. This place would be melting down

Seriously, On Paper the Knights are a much better side than the performances suggest...
That's why the Agent needs a Brooks release - That coach has bigger problems than ours... Great squad and cant do crap with it.

The need a Halfback NOW, Another ordinary year - It's 60% or better they'll lose Ponga - They lose him... They've wasted 10 years.

Wasn't Drinkwater linked to the Knights or is that more fanciful darts on a board from the press?

I think there's some talks going on. Few mates who are big Newie fans have been talking about it for a bit. I'd say it's a case of realising Brooks isn't really an option for them so they're looking for a plan B.

@jai_donaldson said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506513) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506507) said:
@batboy said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506503) said:
Yes, the comments members of the Knights coaching staff are making are illegal. Make no mistake about that. It’s against the rules and we should be pushing the nrl to come down hard on them, regardless whether we end up releasing him.

Illegal to approach a player about a contract, not illegal to talk favourably of a player. If Pascoe came out tomorrow and said "sure we'd love to have Cameron Munster in our side, he's a quality player" there would be nothing illegal about that.

I find it all quite pointless anyway, surely if the Knights really want to engage Brooks about 2022 they just put the word out to his manager on the sly. They can speak to his manager about his individual circumstance, an "inquiry" without actually making contract overtures. I don't think the media talk is for the player himself, I think it's for the fans/sponsors/media.

It’s a high risk tactic. Knights are not in a much stronger position than us. Can you imagine the discussion here if we were making noises like this about signing a contracted player? If it was Lee?

If they don’t get Brooks they look pretty ridiculous/desperate. This place would be melting down

Seriously, On Paper the Knights are a much better side than the performances suggest...
That's why the Agent needs a Brooks release - That coach has bigger problems than ours... Great squad and cant do crap with it.

The need a Halfback NOW, Another ordinary year - It's 60% or better they'll lose Ponga - They lose him... They've wasted 10 years.

Wasn't Drinkwater linked to the Knights or is that more fanciful darts on a board from the press?

I think there's some talks going on. Few mates who are big Newie fans have been talking about it for a bit. I'd say it's a case of realising Brooks isn't really an option for them so they're looking for a plan B.

?

@jirskyr said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506442) said:
Tigers made their comment already, I think just ignore the noise. Knights can continue to talk about it but they are starting to look foolish to keep mentioning it.

Also Knights not breaking any rules technically, they are allowed to comment about who they'd like and why, without actually doing anything about it.

If they aren’t breaking them, they are giving them an almighty bend. It could be seen as a whistle to Brooks to leverage for a release. Either way, it’s totally out of line after the players club have confirmed he’s not going anywhere.

@gnr4life said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506517) said:
@jirskyr said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506442) said:
Tigers made their comment already, I think just ignore the noise. Knights can continue to talk about it but they are starting to look foolish to keep mentioning it.

Also Knights not breaking any rules technically, they are allowed to comment about who they'd like and why, without actually doing anything about it.

If they aren’t breaking them, they are giving them an almighty bend. It could be seen as a whistle to Brooks to leverage for a release. Either way, it’s totally out of line after the players club have confirmed he’s not going anywhere.

But has the player confirmed he doesn’t want to go anywhere?

There has to be more to this.

It's just a way of us negotiating for more.
He's as good as gone.
He has the full support of the coaching staff

@rowdy12 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506300) said:
I realize this might not need it’s own thread so mods please merge with another if you feel necessary.

This morning Danny Buderus, the Knights GM, was on the radio saying they think Luke Brooks would be a good replacement for Mitchell Pearce. This is on the back of assistant coach Andrew Johns doing the same a fortnight ago.

Whether you think Luke Brooks needs to be moved on is against the point. No club in the NRL can legally talk to Brooks until November 1st 2022. The Knights have publicly being declaring their interest for a month now which blatantly goes against the NRLs anti tampering rules.

Does anybody genuinely think a clubs GM would come out and say they want Luke Keary at their club when he still had 2 years on his contract? We are still seen as push overs by other clubs, no one respects us and know we can be bullied into submission.

Pascoe needs to come out on the front foot, publicly blast the Knights and demand the NRL do something about this. Make no mistake this is a big test for the club, if we are seen to be walked over again there is no coming back. Clubs, managers and players will continue to see us as weak and never take us seriously. I know the club reads this forum. Get off your screens and do something about it, fans are sick of being the joke of the league.

What station did Buderus say this?

I have to say that this thread is hilarious. Reading the indignation of the Knights having the audacity to try tempt Brooks away after reading approximately 1350 pages of people trying to find someone to take Brooks away.

@cochise said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506551) said:
I realize this might not need it’s own thread so mods please merge with another if you feel necessary.

This morning Danny Buderus, the Knights GM, was on the radio saying they think Luke Brooks would be a good replacement for Mitchell Pearce. This is on the back of assistant coach Andrew Johns doing the same a fortnight ago.

Whether you think Luke Brooks needs to be moved on is against the point. No club in the NRL can legally talk to Brooks until November 1st 2022. The Knights have publicly being declaring their interest for a month now which blatantly goes against the NRLs anti tampering rules.

Does anybody genuinely think a clubs GM would come out and say they want Luke Keary at their club when he still had 2 years on his contract? We are still seen as push overs by other clubs, no one respects us and know we can be bullied into submission.

Pascoe needs to come out on the front foot, publicly blast the Knights and demand the NRL do something about this. Make no mistake this is a big test for the club, if we are seen to be walked over again there is no coming back. Clubs, managers and players will continue to see us as weak and never take us seriously. I know the club reads this forum. Get off your screens and do something about it, fans are sick of being the joke of the league.

Around 2:20 mark
https://www.triplem.com.au/story/knights-boss-danny-buderus-weighs-in-on-luke-brooks-potentially-joining-the-club-190335

@cochise said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506551) said:

You’d have to be very naive to think that managers aren’t talking to other clubs about their players until a year out from their contract finishing……

@tiger5150 said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506554) said:
I have to say that this thread is hilarious. Reading the indignation of the Knights having the audacity to try tempt Brooks away after reading approximately 1350 pages of people trying to find someone to take Brooks away.

The same people? .... I doubt it

Every club does it, I have heard it a thousand times. “ If a player of Luke’s ability became available we’d certainly have a look”. They say it whether they’re interested or not because times change. Until Luke speaks I’m taking it as speculation from a media who make bucketloads off WT brand.

@lauren said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506625) said:
All eyes on Luke Brooks as Wests Tigers return, club looks to extend Utoikamnu contract
Luke Brooks has dropped a big hint on where his future lies, while the Wests Tigers make a move to secure a young star for the future.

Brent Read
Brent Read
Follow
@brentread_7
3 min read
November 16, 2021 - 8:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 comments

Wests Tigers are preparing to upgrade and extend the contract of young star Stefano Utoikamanu but it is the future of Luke Brooks that will come under fresh scrutiny on Wednesday as the club’s big names return to training.

News Corp understands that Brooks has undergone a Covid test and submitted the paperwork in preparation for his return – Tigers players were required to return negative tests within 48 hours of returning to training under NRL guidelines.

The fact Brooks underwent a test and submitted documentation to the Tigers is the surest sign yet that the No. 7 plans to honour the final two years of his deal – or alternatively, isn’t willing to force through a move by staying away.

Along with other senior players, Brooks will pick up his training gear, and undergo testing and wellbeing screening under the watchful eye of coach Michael Maguire. He will also be able to lean on former NSW half Brett Kimmorley, who joined the club last year as pathways manager but has been given extra responsibility this year with the NRL side as a consultant to the spine.

It means Brooks and the other halves at the club will have unprecedented access to not just Kimmorley, but club legend Benji Marshall this season. While Marshall’s exact role is still to be defined, Kimmorley has already started working with the younger members of the spine and will be available to Brooks and the remainder of the first grade squad when they return this week.

“His job was mainly the halves and I pushed it through to the spine because the four of them need to work together,” Tigers head of football Tim Sheens said.

“He is basically consulting the senior side as well. He will have a hands-on (role). He is a halfback to talk to – halfbacks like to talk to halfbacks.

“At the end of the day that gives them a source and someone to sit down with and have a look at their game during the year.

“Hopefully it will work smoothly. He is a good teacher Noddy (Kimmorley). I am finding that he is really clued up on how to pass things on.”

The players are expected to hit the training paddock on Thursday and all eyes will be on Brooks amid ongoing speculation that Newcastle continue to see him as the successor to Mitchell Pearce in the No. 7 jersey.

Brooks has two years to run on his existing deal but his future has dominated column inches over the off-season, prompting the club at one point to release a statement insisting he was central to their plans.

Having allowed Pearce to exit his contract a year ahead of schedule to join Super League side Catalans, Newcastle are understood to want a halfback because it would be the least disruption to their spine.

At the same time, the Tigers are juggling numerous balls as they look to finalise their roster. As it stands, Brooks will start the season at halfback and the only question as far as the Tigers are concerned is who will be passing him the ball out of dummy half.

The Tigers’ pursuit of Josh Hodgson has stalled as Canberra refuse to budge on their No. 9 while doubt remains over their alternative hooker, Tom Starling. Starling is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday as part of a bail review but it could be some time before the Raiders have some clarity around his future.

The Wests Tigers are looking to upgrade and extend the contract of powerhouse prop Stefano Utoikamanu. Picture: NRL Photos
The Wests Tigers are looking to upgrade and extend the contract of powerhouse prop Stefano Utoikamanu. Picture: NRL Photos
With that in mind, the club has been reluctant to engage in talks with the Tigers over Hodgson, particularly in light of the fact that the Tigers want the Raiders to contribute heavily this season to smooth to move.

There is one thing the Tigers can be certain about and that is that Utoikamanu is going nowhere. The young prop was called into the extended NSW squad this year by Blues coach Brad Fittler, a pointer to the fact that representative football is on the horizon.

The Tigers want to ensure he is in for the long haul and the club has begun initial talks with his management over an upgrade and extension to his existing deal.

Utoikamanu is contracted until the end of 2023 and the Tigers want to push that out for as much as two years, while at the same time rewarding him with an upgrade the existing years of his deal.

Cant complain about that article.

@telltails said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506628) said:
@lauren said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506625) said:
All eyes on Luke Brooks as Wests Tigers return, club looks to extend Utoikamnu contract
Luke Brooks has dropped a big hint on where his future lies, while the Wests Tigers make a move to secure a young star for the future.

Brent Read
Brent Read
Follow
@brentread_7
3 min read
November 16, 2021 - 8:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 comments

Wests Tigers are preparing to upgrade and extend the contract of young star Stefano Utoikamanu but it is the future of Luke Brooks that will come under fresh scrutiny on Wednesday as the club’s big names return to training.

News Corp understands that Brooks has undergone a Covid test and submitted the paperwork in preparation for his return – Tigers players were required to return negative tests within 48 hours of returning to training under NRL guidelines.

The fact Brooks underwent a test and submitted documentation to the Tigers is the surest sign yet that the No. 7 plans to honour the final two years of his deal – or alternatively, isn’t willing to force through a move by staying away.

Along with other senior players, Brooks will pick up his training gear, and undergo testing and wellbeing screening under the watchful eye of coach Michael Maguire. He will also be able to lean on former NSW half Brett Kimmorley, who joined the club last year as pathways manager but has been given extra responsibility this year with the NRL side as a consultant to the spine.

It means Brooks and the other halves at the club will have unprecedented access to not just Kimmorley, but club legend Benji Marshall this season. While Marshall’s exact role is still to be defined, Kimmorley has already started working with the younger members of the spine and will be available to Brooks and the remainder of the first grade squad when they return this week.

“His job was mainly the halves and I pushed it through to the spine because the four of them need to work together,” Tigers head of football Tim Sheens said.

“He is basically consulting the senior side as well. He will have a hands-on (role). He is a halfback to talk to – halfbacks like to talk to halfbacks.

“At the end of the day that gives them a source and someone to sit down with and have a look at their game during the year.

“Hopefully it will work smoothly. He is a good teacher Noddy (Kimmorley). I am finding that he is really clued up on how to pass things on.”

The players are expected to hit the training paddock on Thursday and all eyes will be on Brooks amid ongoing speculation that Newcastle continue to see him as the successor to Mitchell Pearce in the No. 7 jersey.

Brooks has two years to run on his existing deal but his future has dominated column inches over the off-season, prompting the club at one point to release a statement insisting he was central to their plans.

Having allowed Pearce to exit his contract a year ahead of schedule to join Super League side Catalans, Newcastle are understood to want a halfback because it would be the least disruption to their spine.

At the same time, the Tigers are juggling numerous balls as they look to finalise their roster. As it stands, Brooks will start the season at halfback and the only question as far as the Tigers are concerned is who will be passing him the ball out of dummy half.

The Tigers’ pursuit of Josh Hodgson has stalled as Canberra refuse to budge on their No. 9 while doubt remains over their alternative hooker, Tom Starling. Starling is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday as part of a bail review but it could be some time before the Raiders have some clarity around his future.

With that in mind, the club has been reluctant to engage in talks with the Tigers over Hodgson, particularly in light of the fact that the Tigers want the Raiders to contribute heavily this season to smooth to move.

There is one thing the Tigers can be certain about and that is that Utoikamanu is going nowhere. The young prop was called into the extended NSW squad this year by Blues coach Brad Fittler, a pointer to the fact that representative football is on the horizon.

The Tigers want to ensure he is in for the long haul and the club has begun initial talks with his management over an upgrade and extension to his existing deal.

Utoikamanu is contracted until the end of 2023 and the Tigers want to push that out for as much as two years, while at the same time rewarding him with an upgrade the existing years of his deal.

Cant complain about that article.

"I am finding that he is really clued up on how to pass things on".

That is a significant observation. Also that Sheens has extended the consultation to the spine.

Agree

One too many squirrel grips in the Hunter region apparently.

@tony-soprano said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506633) said:

Agree

Only in Singleton.

@cochise said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506635) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Knights Interest In Brooks](/post/1506633) said:

Agree

Only in Singleton.

Its how they shake hands I hear...

Honestly I think that's already happening, I think they already look silly and desperate. They didn't anticipate the Mitchell Pearce early exit and they have very little halves depth, either purchased or juniors. New young guys like Phoenix Crossland, Tex Hoy, Chris Randall - they aren't really working out and Knights are repeatedly going to market to populate their spine.

Also, from an NRL-wide perspective, Luke Brooks is not a particularly popular or well-respected player, and the idea that Knights are bending over backwards to try and prise him from Wests Tigers is, I think, fairly amusing to many supporters of neither club.

Latest posts

Members online

Back