Latu Fainu

All the talk about Galvin - Fainu is only 1 month older and has played half a season of nsw cup and was nsw u19s playmaker at 17. He dominated Harrold Matt's at 15. He will partner Laui long term in the halves and is the best young half coming through.
Agreed there as been plenty of noise around Fainu for a long time by some very good judges, where Galvin the noise has just started.

In saying that what little I have seen of Galvin is very impressive. He seems to be a couple of plays in front of everyone but it has been at schoolboy level. I think Fainu is probably first cab off the rank

We haven’t had this type of competition in the halves for at least a decade, bring it on!
For now it’s just hope and enthusiasm. It will only be competition when they start playing the house down as to keep their spot. For now, I don’t think there is much doubt that the starting combo will be Sezar/Sullivan. Fainu is a work in progress, same as Galvin.

Trials you can’t serve the suspension anyone can play regardless if they’re suspended. If it happens in internationals I’m assuming you can serve the suspension in reserves but I’m not 100% sure. I’ll have to try and find that out but if he’s suspended I don’t see Benji trying to name him I’ll be surprised if he does.
18th man... round 2

Why?Its not like he’ll be there in round 1…Or round 2 given the bye.
Yeah it's highly unlikely he starts NRL first game, but I'd much prefer he miss a trial and be available for either NRL or Cup first regular season game. If Sullivan or Sezer go down prior to round 2, he will be needed.

The guy getting very little attention is the young no9 TDS, going to be very interesting how they use him this year. Do they give him the 14 role our do they give him a long stint in reserves and either use Bud or Fainu as the 14. I guess injuries will probably determine what happens once the dust settles

The guy getting very little attention is the young no9 TDS, going to be very interesting how they use him this year. Do they give him the 14 role our do they give him a long stint in reserves and either use Bud or Fainu as the 14. I guess injuries will probably determine what happens once the dust settles
I think he’s definitely jumped Simpkin in the pecking order. I’ll be surprised if Simpkin sees out 24 as a Tiger.

With Simpkin still on the books, I reckon he will be given the 14 to start the year and this will give TDS longer minutes in KOE Cup. Later in the season it might change though.

For now it’s just hope and enthusiasm. It will only be competition when they start playing the house down as to keep their spot. For now, I don’t think there is much doubt that the starting combo will be Sezar/Sullivan. Fainu is a work in progress, same as Galvin.
I don’t think Galvin will be in the halves. Not just hope and enthusiasm, it’s promising young halves that were the best in their age groups. Doesn’t always translate to first grade, but better than our other options.

Agreed. I want to keep Galvin (preferably moving to other positions), but I am more excited to see what Fainu can do. Already proven he can handle the physicality at Cup and to a lesser extent International level. think it is a matter of when (not if) Fainu will make the 6 jersey his own.
Totally agree, he has already been playing against men and more than holding his own. He could also slot into 7 if Benji wanted.

I am one of the few who think Fainu might partner Sezer to start the season. I would like to see this anyway. I am of the opinion Sullivan won't see out his 4 year contract.
If I had to take a pick, I think Fainu is the more likely of the two. Only because I haven‘t really seen much of Sullivan that has left me excited. Fainu wins purely on the fact that he’s an unknown at first grade level. He could still go either way. Not ruling out Sullivan btw, but he needs to show more before convincing me he’s the answer.

I think there is plenty of doubt. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Fainu starts the season at 6.

All the talk about Galvin - Fainu is only 1 month older and has played half a season of nsw cup and was nsw u19s playmaker at 17. He dominated Harrold Matt's at 15. He will partner Laui long term in the halves and is the best young half coming through.
he is truly something else. Galvin is talented himself and I have him pencilled as a future Kangaroo, but Latu is our outstanding halves candidate.

Being a standout as a 17 year old playing NSW Cup on more than one occasion is a big achievement and very rarely done.
Some people being too harsh on Jayden Sullivan claiming he couldn’t cement an NRL spot at the struggling Dragons. He wasn’t stuck behind too bad a player in Ben Hunt. Even then his form in NSW Cup was so good, they made the decision to shift Ben Hunt to number 9 for a few games to fit him in. A fit and dedicated Jayden Sullivan is a top quality NRL player.
Lachie Galvin is untested playing against men, but a player of his talent, fitness levels and dedication is destined to succeed.
All 3 will become top end NRL stars sooner than later, just not sure it will be with Wests Tigers as we won’t be able to fit them all in their preferred positions.

Last edited:
Wests Tigers are set to replace one teen tyro with another, calling highly rated 18-year-old Latu Fainu up for his NRL debut in place of the suspended Lachlan Galvin.

Galvin starred in Monday’s gutsy upset win over Parramatta only to have his breakout NRL performance soured by a hip drop charge on Kelma Tuilagi.

Galvin will accept a two-game suspension, ruling him out of Saturday’s trip to Redcliffe to face the Dolphins and the following week’s clash with St George Illawarra.

Fainu has been told he will make his first-grade debut against the Dolphins, though it is not yet clear if that will be stepping into the No.6 jersey alongside veteran halfback Aidan Sezer or coming off the bench.

Fellow young playmaker Jayden Sullivan has played a utility role for the Tigers for the past two weeks and could be elevated back into the starting side, with Fainu to take his place in the No.14 jumper.

Fainu’s signing alongside brother Samuela on lucrative four-year deals was heralded as a much-needed recruitment coup during the Tigers’ wooden spoon campaign last year, the pair lured from Manly after the Dolphins withdrew from negotiations.

Might as well make it a straight swap. No point sitting him on the pine for 60-65 mins.

Wests Tigers are set to replace one teen tyro with another, calling highly rated 18-year-old Latu Fainu up for his NRL debut in place of the suspended Lachlan Galvin.

Galvin starred in Monday’s gutsy upset win over Parramatta only to have his breakout NRL performance soured by a hip drop charge on Kelma Tuilagi.

Galvin will accept a two-game suspension, ruling him out of Saturday’s trip to Redcliffe to face the Dolphins and the following week’s clash with St George Illawarra.

Fainu has been told he will make his first-grade debut against the Dolphins, though it is not yet clear if that will be stepping into the No.6 jersey alongside veteran halfback Aidan Sezer or coming off the bench.

Fellow young playmaker Jayden Sullivan has played a utility role for the Tigers for the past two weeks and could be elevated back into the starting side, with Fainu to take his place in the No.14 jumper.

Fainu’s signing alongside brother Samuela on lucrative four-year deals was heralded as a much-needed recruitment coup during the Tigers’ wooden spoon campaign last year, the pair lured from Manly after the Dolphins withdrew from negotiations.

Imagine WTs having the depth to replace a young player of Galvin's talent with an equally young player of Fainu's ability. Outstanding.

Benji is perfect love him so much

Latest posts

Members online

Back