Looking towards 2018 by dropping players

I see where your coming from bigsirro. As much as i hate tedesco for leaving when he gets the ball or makes half a break im up in the air screaming. Unfortunately we have no players from within to replace. We could have as many as 10 new players in our game day 17 squad for next year.

In saying that i definitly think our young forwards marsters, felise and tatola should be given as much game time as possible. I think cleary has it under control and we are slowly seeing these guys come through.

There are a multitude of reasons you are totally incorrect.

Here are just ten at random:

1\. Mathematically we can still make the eight. (improbable but you don't give up beforehand).

2\. The Tigers should be playing their best players (Tedesco and Woods are their best two).

3\. Being walloped every week voluntarily is not an option. The Tigers brand would be disgraced.

4\. Sponsors need to be thought of… they are not paying big money to get thrashed.

5\. Young players are not going to learn anything off other young players, they need mentors.

6\. Very few players not in the 17 will be in the 17 next year, so no point in promoting them.

7\. If we are to sign more players - they will think twice coming to a club getting thrashed.

8\. Considering the supporters is important - who wants to pay money to watch second graders.

9\. Cleary has his reputation to think of - the team has to be the best he can select (in his opinion).

10\. Last but not least - Wests Tigers have not had the Wooden Spoon and we don't want it in 2017.

@ said:
**If we were building from within for 2018, then you may have a good point, but the fact is most of our 2018 side are out there playing for other clubs at the moment.**
I certainly hope we give Suli, Marsters, Liddle et al a longer leash and a good run in the team this year, as they'll be there next year.
Woods and Tedesco were our best players last week, and probably will be for most games this season, so it'd be ridiculous to drop them, and create more of a disturbance than leaving them in the 17.

That said, I am a bit surprised that Woods is still getting the armband. I actually thought he'd give it up after the garbage around the move, and certainly thought Ivan would push him in that direction if not.

Yeah this says it all - all of the players we've bought to play first grade next season, apart from Lolohea, aren't even here yet, so there's not a lot to play with for the rest of this year. Taking Woods, Ava & Tedesco out of the team now would be madness. I want us to at least be competitive for the rest of the season, even if we can't make the finals.

I would be relieving Woods of the captaincy quick smart, but would not have another million plus plus of our cap sitting on the sidelines because they won't be here next year.

Play your best 17 until it is mathematically impossible to make the 8\. Then start salting the side with up and comers to give them the taste and a bit of experience with the pressure off.

Between Origin and some late-season feigned injuries, the youngsters will get a fair crack this year.

The club owes it to our fans, members and especially our sponsors to play the best available team each week. Brydens, for example, are stumping up the highest major sponsorship in the club's history and we just have to give them the best bang for their buck that we can, otherwise we will find it very difficult to attract sponsors going forward. Fans and members, likewise, put their money in and the club needs to put its best team on display each week.

I wouldn't ice them unless they stop putting in, we can't afford to not have them out there while they're putting in.

I have too many mates who are Knights supporters for us to not field our strongest side each week. Barring injuries and origin selection there's absolutely no reason to select a side that's going to struggle more than we are now. Every win here in will only boost the confidence for those who are on the bus next year.
I get we almost certainly wont make the 8 however how good would it be for the morale of the boys and fans if we string a few together and even manage to finish up on about 22 points or so. I'm sorry but finishing 10th or 11th is a lot better than getting the spoon. Anyone who feels getting the spoon is ok is delusional.

This season gone or not, people want to watch a competitive game.

We are more competitive with woods and Tedesco in the side. The quality of football would be better.

Woods and Tedesco are still the tigers most expensive playing assets. If you owned shares You wouldnt not collect the divedend because you plan on selling them next financial year…. ( Ok, not the greatest analogy)

Ensuring you aren't the "worst team in the comp" would also help keep some pride.

I can understand the sentiment in the original post, however I think we should always field our strongest team. We will always have players coming and going and every win is precious for a Wests Tigers supporter.
My only thought would be to play Lolohea at fullback and move Tedesco somewhere else. Maybe he could move to half or put him on the wing, but I reckon it would be helpful for Lolohea to get some playing time at fullback and maybe give Tedesco a mentoring role to help Lolohea in his role as fullback.

Thoughts?

@ said:
I can understand the sentiment in the original post, however I think we should always field our strongest team. We will always have players coming and going and every win is precious for a Wests Tigers supporter.
My only thought would be to play Lolohea at fullback and move Tedesco somewhere else. Maybe he could move to half or put him on the wing, but I reckon it would be helpful for Lolohea to get some playing time at fullback and maybe give Tedesco a mentoring role to help Lolohea in his role as fullback.

Thoughts?

Tedesco isn't a half and won't do well there imo. Also, why would he mentor someone in his preferred position who has only been out there because he is leaving. Tedesco is one of the best fullbacks in the comp he stays there.

I agree with bringing in some players but not wholesale changes. Give a few of the young forwards a run as the run goes on because they are the ones we may play next year.

If you take woodsy and teddy out, we'll get the wooden spoon for sure. We'll worry about 2018 in the pre season.

Is this how its always going to be? once someone signs with another club we should just drop him and look into the future??

Latest posts

Staff online

Back