Luke Brooks #167

So much to ponder, who's coming, who's going, will Brooks perform better with an improved pack ? Will AD retain his star status,? Will Laurie become a super 5/8 ? Will Stains be the Fullback we lacked ? Will the coaches turn our pack into Viking warriors? Will we finally find some talented and speedy outside backs ? Is Moses coming ? Is Bateman the invisible man?

This has been the craziest off-season ever,. PS- Will any of these players still be here , in 2024 ?

Last edited:
Brooks will jump up to a level not seen before under Benji and Sheens

I hope so but I come from the school of thought that athletic ability is a gift from nature. Hard work matters, good coaching matters but you can't turn lead into gold.

So thought Id give youse an update here with some hard numbers.
As you can see, I told you a month ago he was asking for 1.4 mil a year, proving I wasnt lying, and now the tigers have indeed offered him 1.4mil a year over 5 years. 7 mil deal, last year might be an option so in reality its 4 if thats so.
This puts us in pole position.

He is still looking to see what Dogs and Eels come back with, and this is what Ive been told:
Dogs have offered a 4 year +option. 1.1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2 +1.2 mutual option.

Eels have offered 1.1 over 4 years with some incentives.

Im told hes trying to up the figure on the dogs deal an extra 100k on top per year and if he gets it, he signs with them, but if not, he will announce he signs with us.

Not sure if eels will budge or not.

He wants to win a premiership so is favouring dogs but their offer is lower.
Another update.
Us or dogs now.

Our 1.4 mil over 5 years vs dogs offer over 4 years averaging 1.150 above.

Moses manager is pleading with them to make it a straight 1.2 mil to seal the deal or otherwise he is ours.

This is close.

LUKE will get a huge wake up call if SHEENS is a fairdinkum league coach...the 7 needs to guide the team around the park,I know he hasnt had the pack to work with but Hastings showed him the way and the club turfed the only true 7 we have had in 10 years...bag me all you like but the boys club ends after this next 5 years...l will stick to my word if things dont change my golf game will take precedent over rugby league.a game I love but cant stand the politics..

LUKE will get a huge wake up call if SHEENS is a fairdinkum league coach...the 7 needs to guide the team around the park,I know he hasnt had the pack to work with but Hastings showed him the way and the club turfed the only true 7 we have had in 10 years...bag me all you like but the boys club ends after this next 5 years...l will stick to my word if things dont change my golf game will take precedent over rugby league.a game I love but cant stand the politics..
I find the whole forward pack excuse as bit of a cop out tbh. Brooks has never been a halfback who takes on the pressures of the game & one that turns games on its head with his kicking game. Quality halves kick in behind early to switch momentum & field position, i’m not sure if this is because Madge was giving him certain instructions or not but yeh. One thing as well I never see Brooks demand the ball in high pressure/clutch situations which if you’re the best player you’re supposed to do.

Am a fan and having spoken to him a few times seems a super bloke, but I admit he hasn't reached the level he should've by now, but he still could.

But in the end he wasn't the cause of our poor form over the years and wasn't a solution either.

At the end of the day he is one of our boys, one of the few who wanted to call our club his own......And given the bums and tankers we've had lately that is something......And he does have potential but it's time.

Can see him playing a very direct running game this year.

Got a feeling his gunna be enjoying his footy.

You forgot
8. The acceptance of mediocrity 'fans'

See plenty of those when defending the park footballer half back. Definitely not a good look!
Just the excuses the crappy bulldogs fans give when attacking club legends, your just another like them. What about the crap coaches these ‘supporters’ back instead of club legends??? Yer they’re great salt of the earth supporters!!!
I have never said that brooks was a smart controlling halfback and I don’t think anyone else has said that either. Except the inept coaching saying ‘it’s Luke’s team’. Look how he played under Cleary with no pressure he’s a 5/8 not 7 and sheens knows that, hence why he’s after Moses.
But that doesn’t go with your misleading narrative, so carry on…

Just the excuses the crappy bulldogs fans give when attacking club legends, your just another like them. What about the crap coaches these ‘supporters’ back instead of club legends??? Yer they’re great salt of the earth supporters!!!
I have never said that brooks was a smart controlling halfback and I don’t think anyone else has said that either. Except the inept coaching saying ‘it’s Luke’s team’. Look how he played under Cleary with no pressure he’s a 5/8 not 7 and sheens knows that, hence why he’s after Moses.
But that doesn’t go with your misleading narrative, so carry on…
I think Luke is a 7, he’s more in the style of Williams when he was at Raiders.
He may not be the kind of 7 many of us visualise but that’s his best spot imho.
Sure, he went ok at 6, especially when Hastings played 13, but that was due to him playing in an ordinary team.
Brooksy went ok under Cleary because we had some mongrel in our pack, did their tackles and all ran more than 100mts every game. This gave Brooks time n space to be more proactive rather than reacting to undesirable situations.
IDK if this current pack can be as good as Cleary’s kiwi mates but they look as good on paper.

The close games we have lost over the last few years is when u want your halfback to take control and win the game at least 50% of the time
I agree he needs to dig deeper at these times. But besides when Tedesco was here who could he look to for help. No origin style forward to put him on the front foot either. There has been a few players example Luciano but by no means reliable on any occasion
Not a books lover or hater either
Why get caught up in things you can’t control

Back