Manly Inclusive Pride jersey backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANYONE who compares race and sexuality is a joke and a closet racist period. Do I hate gays no, would I be annoyed if I had to wear that jersey, yes. Just as they would if they were forced to wear a jersey with crosses or bible verses on it. Wearing an indigenous jersey is not even close to the two, get a grip yall.
Jimmy, are you saying there’s some other agenda, other than the promotion of a minority group?
What is a minority group?
Is there a distinction other than the number of members?

Personally don't think it's a big deal but says a lot about people who do.

It's supporting a minority group who cop it in society. It's getting better but it's far from good enough.

The evidence is pretty clear - just look at anyone who is arguing against wearing a jersey celebrating this minority group.

I love the woke comments as well. It's interesting how this doesn't apply to the indigenous round.

Haven't seen the Des presser today, but hopefully a couple of lessons out of this from the way Manly have handled things.
They were incredibly naive if they thought there'd be no reaction from some of their players. If it was something they wanted to do, it should have been brought up internally at first. Perhaps have someone from the local community come in to explain to the playing group as to why such a gesture is deemed important. Ask Ian Roberts to come aboard as an ambassador.
Ultimately it's a couple of splashes on a jersey to represent an oft-persecuted minority that has been tremendously underrepresented in RL circles (on the men's side at least). Shouldn't be a big deal, but here we are.
Good idea, poorly executed.

ps. f*ck manly

Just read that Dezzie is having trouble finding 7 replacement players because those he wants, also have their own religious and cultural reasons to preclude them from wearing the rainbow jersey too.
Who could ever dream this stuff up?

Reactions: BZN
I wonder if everyone supporting the players right to refuse to wear a pride jersey because of their religious beliefs would be as supportive if a player refused to wear an ANZAC jersey because he was a pacifist.

Didn't SBW refuse to wear a jersey as it had betting sponsors and he was Islamic so it was removed form his jersey.

At the end of the day, they can believe what they want. But as employees of the Club, they have do what the club says.
Agree but definitely a lack of consultation between PR and football here.

Reactions: BZN
I bet none of these players who pulled out would knock back attractive lesbians who turned up on there door
What a stupid statement , how about u give the 7 credit for not been forced to join the woke brigade

Mandatory homosexuality? Nobody is forcing the players to be gay or indigenous or female or an Anzac or retro during the respective rounds.
Mate they have to do what their employer tells them to do.

I'm not saying it's right. Maybe they could just turn the lights off and pretend?

Last edited:
How about a heterosexual male round?
Father's should be celebrated. Jerseys with room for beer bellys. We're people too.

The difference is that we aren't discriminated against regularly. We are people but we are people who don't cop it from society anywhere near as much as gay people.

There is also a thing called Fathers day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back