Manly Inclusive Pride jersey backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting to the stage now that the majority are the disadvantaged group in many instances.

I guess I'll just have to be cancelled for having the temerity to put forward such a view.
It’s actually a good point you raise.
When people are defined as groups there is bound to be conflicting points of view.
When one groups views are given priority over another’s it only serves to marginalise and segregate the groups. Rather than focusing on the difference between each group, why not create more emphasis on the commonality?
If you wanted to split apart Wests Tigers supporters you might highlight the differences that they have rather than what it is which unites us.
The reason this is done imo, is to create friction and excitement which results in increased cash flow.

I like what @jirskyr has added and appreciate @Kul's take.
It's about freedom and basic human rights. Inclusion policies/programs are essentially about embracing diversity and creating an environment where all backgrounds and perspectives are respected. Building or raising awareness and supporting the individual rights of everyone, so that they feel they have a place in this world regardless of gender, culture or other.

Don't usually like to get involved in these types of discussions but as a parent of a son whose grandfather is Maori, there's certain things I can never teach him so I will never prevent him from trying to learn about his heritage - which is an important part of his identity, something that will forever connect him to his father.
I don't know what challenges he'll face but I hope he feels safe in this world. To be himself. I will always encourage him to respect others but to express himself the way he wants to.

Seinfeld, way before his time.

Here’s your ribbon,
No thanks.
Put on the ribbon!
No thanks,
Why don’t you put on the ribbon?
I don’t want to put on the ribbon?
Hey Manny, this guy won wear the ribbon!
WHO WON’T WEAR THE RIBBON?

Go Weststigers,

Seinfeld, way before his time.

Here’s your ribbon,
No thanks.
Put on the ribbon!
No thanks,
Why don’t you put on the ribbon?
I don’t want to put on the ribbon?
Hey Manny, this guy won wear the ribbon!
WHO WON’T WEAR THE RIBBON?

Go Weststigers,
A classic, could watch Seinfeld over and over again very funny 😁

I 100% agree. Do gooders pushing their ideas down peoples throats. This form doesn't need that rubbish.
Do you equate Manly wearing rainbow stripes on their jersey with "pushing ideas down people's throats"?

I didn't even know Manly were wearing an inclusion jersey until the furore kicked off. It's not inclusion round. Nothing was shoved down my throat.

I reject the idea that one club attempting to recognise a minority is "shoving it down someone's throat". I think that's a silly idea. I also think it's unfair, because most minorities have hardly ever had their concerns heard in public, so yeah they need ongoing publicity for their own considerations. You cannot normalise something in 5 minutes, you need a sustained campaign. And yes you might get tired of it, but it's the only way to change society for the better. It's as true of the treatment of other humans as it is of things like global warming.

Even the "Me Too" movement, an avalanche of disclosures about abuse of women, that was mostly kept bottled up until the last decade or so.

I am a middle-aged white middle-class hetero man. Frankly my concerns and the concerns of people like me have been front and centre of Australia's national priorities for most of our ~235 years since colonisation. It took us 114 years to give women the national vote, 174 years to allow indigenous Australians to vote, and 206 years to nationally legalise consensual homosexual relations.

So to argue that now, a football club putting a rainbow on a jersey for one week is "pushing ideas down people's throats" is cynical and myopic.

Zero need for an apology
Thank you CG. thank you for standing up when others don’t, You make to much sense to belong here. Bro I read all your posts after you spoke up, and AGREE with you.
Id like to hear your take on a suggestion I make. ITS YOUR OPINION SO SAY IT THE WAY IT IS BRO , IM ASKING FOR NOTHING MORE.
CG - no way the NRL lets Manly wear two different jerseys ?

Me - do you think if next year the same celebration was planned, and the same jerseys were used ,with only 1 difference . Rainbow hoops / white hoops.

This way we can included them all, half the team one jersey and the other half opposite. By doing this the mantra could be , we play as one but we are all different. Respect show to all.

PLEASE KEEP IT REAL.

So to argue that now, a football club putting a rainbow on a jersey for one week is "pushing ideas down people's throats" is cynical and myopic.
Its a stunt and a very poorly timed one.
To try and overshadow Women in League round was pathetic.
To not discuss this action with the team was amatureish.
They have now lost a game they likely win with the inclusion of the 7 who sat it out.

Its a stunt and a very poorly timed one.
To try and overshadow Women in League round was pathetic.
To not discuss this action with the team was amatureish.
They have now lost a game they likely win with the inclusion of the 7 who sat it out.
100% bro, this celebration should have its own round.

I wonder how dce, foran and the trbjcviks feel how they went so close... Would. Likely go close to winning with a full squad and be in the eight now...
Hope resentment runs rampant thru their squad
100% they might need this game to play in Sept.
side note. If you watched last nights game., did you see the JWH elbow, and your take on the future of that one?

I am not sure why the 7 stood down aren't playing reggies. No pride colours for the Blacktown workers jersey this weekend is there?
What is going on here , the segment on nine news is now calling it Pride round , so what the hell happened to the Women in league round , I don’t think people are being bigots but it seems like the Women in league round should be taking a back seat for the rainbow 🌈

Woman in league round has been hijacked by the rainbow for sure , Manly and the NRL have made a big mistake doing what they did and it will take some time for some to get over it , The timing was so poor , something like this needed to be done on its own not when we already have a show of support round for all the woman , I’m not against what Manly were doing I’m against this stuff in sport , it’s political and we have a very mixed community with different views and religious beliefs it was always going to turn to crap ,

The name calling and ostracism of those players who stood down does nothing but inflame the situation, or was that the plan?
From what I understand the players were ambushed, given only a a day or so to make a decision, while Hollywood actors Chris Hemsworth and Hugh Jackman were given jerseys 2 weeks before the players were told.

What is going on here , the segment on nine news is now calling it Pride round , so what the hell happened to the Women in league round , I don’t think people are being bigots but it seems like the Women in league round should be taking a back seat for the rainbow 🌈
I heard Ian Roberts also call it pride round it’s an absolute disgrace this round should celebrate the great job the women in league do from driving the kids to training, washing the jumpers working in the canteens all the way up to the women coaches referees and the ones in admin roles , the Manly owner is a disgrace

That’s a disgace to be honest.
Women hold a very important role in our sport and don’t deserve to have their appreciation round hijacked by this attention seeking organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back