Meyer: cambo has once last chance

Maybe send some of the home games north of the border

Us Qlders will show up in big numbers with heaps of passion

Of course the CEO will be happy with low crowds at suburban grounds. Moving to ANZ stadium is the priority . Easy money. Less work & travel for his employees. Once the new board structure is in place it will only be a matter of time before the majority of games will be played at ANZ. Ashfield directors will vote with the NRL directors to make the move to ANZ with one or two token games at LO and possibly at CSS. Ashfield has always wanted ownership of the Wests Tigers franchise and having a team play 5 minutes away is perfect. Why do you all think Wests Campbelltown pulled the pin? The writing was on the wall.

Whose to blame? The fickle bandwagoners that supposedly call themselves Wests Tigers fans. At lease the move to ANZ will once and for all unite the club. We will then see who the real Wests Tigers fans are.

Support your club or no one.
:sign:

@Staks said:
Of course the CEO will be happy with low crowds at suburban grounds. Moving to ANZ stadium is the priority . Easy money. Less work & travel for his employees. Once the new board structure is in place it will only be a matter of time before the majority of games will be played at ANZ. Ashfield directors will vote with the NRL directors to make the move to ANZ with one or two token games at LO and possibly at CSS. Ashfield has always wanted ownership of the Wests Tigers franchise and having a team play 5 minutes away is perfect. Why do you all think Wests Campbelltown pulled the pin? The writing was on the wall.

Whose to blame? The fickle bandwagoners that supposedly call themselves Wests Tigers fans. At lease the move to ANZ will once and for all unite the club. We will then see who the real Wests Tigers fans are.

Support your club or no one.
:sign:

Bravo ..one ground one supporter base… hopefully not long to wait!

It used to bother me that there were still fans that had not accepted the JV but I honestly believe if they havnt accepted it by now, they never will. Certainly the old Magpie fans who are missing the old days are most vocal because financially they are in a much stronger position than the Balmain side so its the perfect time, to air any grievances, react to comments that are deemed divisive, rally any likeminded fans and hope for a takeover. Quite frankly their actions are understandable especially if they have never supported the merger. My experience however has been nothing but positive. We attend games with great friends who were all originally Magpie supporters and together we annoy our other friends who support other clubs. We go to all the Leichardt oval games, and some at ANZ and Alliance - when they played there - simply for the reason that those grounds are more convenient for us, and its not possible for us financially or commitment wise to attend all games. Lets also not ignore that all games are televised and the convenience of watching the game in your lounge room and or at the pub with your mates is a preferred option for many. Success will keep the knockers quiet, increase financial gain, bring the crowds back, and generate new fans. Expecting a big crowd at ANZ on Monday - lets hope the boys can keep the momentum going, so the crowd figures at all upcoming home games start to improve.

Response from Mayer re Andrew Webster article:

Ive read this again and again and still shake my head and how this issue continues to be played out in the media.

As I have stated publicly, the Wests Tigers are committed to Campbelltown. As recently as last Friday (before the game), we submitted a request to Govt for funds to build an academy in Minto. Hardly a sign that we want out.

We are all disappointed with the crowd but delighted with enthusiasm that the ones that attended supported the team. Financially, the game made budget and we sold more merchandise at the ground than we have for some time.

As stated, Andrew Webster, a very good journo, was NOT at the ground nor in the press box. I am based next to their room and deliver the crowd figure for every game. Always around half time. To use terms such as delighted are plain wrong. We won the game and we made budget. They were the only two reasons to be delighted.

Again, as I have stated at length, we will through all we can at promoting the next game at Campbelltown in an effort to get 12K plus. Only that will be a bonus. Traditional media channels will be used as will social media channels. We WANT this event to work as it truly represents a great moment in time for this club.

Our commitment to the area needs to be matched by the locals. We need to know that they want football in the area. The NRL are keen to make it work and we are keen to make it work.

In regards to the nonsensical arguments regarding quality of opponent, time of day and pricing – I have made consistent statements about this over a long period of time.

I appreciate the concern but certainly don’t appreciate assumptions being made about what this club currently does and what we want to do in the future. The only place to get the truth is from the Wests Tigers. Ive have said my piece and will now focus on trying to build some enthusiasm for the club and our home games over the balance of the year.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

@wtfl1981 said:
In regards to the nonsensical arguments regarding quality of opponent, time of day and pricing – I have made consistent statements about this over a long period of time.

This is spot on. Anyone stating this nonsense (I can think of better words) is a fool.

So Mayer says he's committed to the area but says they have one last chance or we move away. And somehow the Cowboys match with a crowd of 6.4k financially broke even having previously said we need double that number to cut square.

knuckles, I raised that issue of game costs at CS pages ago… was told they had no reason not to believe our GM's and the figures they put forward. My free and rational thought now doesnt seem so off base, and now the GM rhetoric doesnt line up anymore, who would have thunk it!

I'm not a Mayer fan B&W so have to declare my hand !
I don't know him personally but from some of the things he's done and said in the short time he's been in the job leads me to feel distrust.

I will leave Mayer out of it…

if getting $100k to play at ANZ is such a big deal...

If 6.5k attendance is a break even or close to it, then a 12k crowd at average $20 per ticket (adult is $30), 5500 x 20 = $110,000... thats a small and totally achievable crowd with dilligent advertising... imagine we get our crap together and can pull consistant 15-20k attends, would make a joke of the ANZ deal...

reinforces that we need to look further into promotion out there rather than make the quick cash grab at ANZ. No business in their right mind would look past that sort of opportunity...

@Knuckles said:
So Mayer says he's committed to the area but says they have one last chance or we move away. And somehow the Cowboys match with a crowd of 6.4k financially broke even having previously said we need double that number to cut square.

That would be the excellent merchandise sales that helped them break even.

Don't let logic get in the way of your flat out dislike for a guy though mate. Why use logic when it is easier to push your own wagon.

@wtfl1981 said:
Response from Mayer re Andrew Webster article:

Ive read this again and again and still shake my head and how this issue continues to be played out in the media.

As I have stated publicly, the Wests Tigers are committed to Campbelltown. As recently as last Friday (before the game), we submitted a request to Govt for funds to build an academy in Minto. Hardly a sign that we want out.

We are all disappointed with the crowd but delighted with enthusiasm that the ones that attended supported the team. Financially, the game made budget and we sold more merchandise at the ground than we have for some time.

As stated, Andrew Webster, a very good journo, was NOT at the ground nor in the press box. I am based next to their room and deliver the crowd figure for every game. Always around half time. To use terms such as delighted are plain wrong. We won the game and we made budget. They were the only two reasons to be delighted.

Again, as I have stated at length, we will through all we can at promoting the next game at Campbelltown in an effort to get 12K plus. Only that will be a bonus. Traditional media channels will be used as will social media channels. We WANT this event to work as it truly represents a great moment in time for this club.

Our commitment to the area needs to be matched by the locals. We need to know that they want football in the area. The NRL are keen to make it work and we are keen to make it work.

I appreciate the concern but certainly don’t appreciate assumptions being made about what this club currently does and what we want to do in the future. The only place to get the truth is from the Wests Tigers. Ive have said my piece and will now focus on trying to build some enthusiasm for the club and our home games over the balance of the year.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

Good response. Also shows how many journos out there make assumptions to suit their own purposes.

@smeghead said:
@Knuckles said:

That would be the excellent merchandise sales that helped them break even.

Don't let logic get in the way of your flat out dislike for a guy though mate. Why use logic when it is easier to push your own wagon.

practice what you preach Smeghead… knuckles put forward a fair and logical extrapolation of comments directly from Mayer himself.

Im a Mayer fan to boot.

Whilst ignoring the merchandise sales clearly referenced throughout the articles on the subject. Yes that is fair and logical

I am glad he came out and addressed his comments and put it on Webster, he could easily have ducked the situation or belligerently stuck to his guns, instead he backed himself in a much more measured and professional manner. I like it.

I really dont care to argue this, wasnt even going to reply. I suppose it all boils down to if you believe "we sold more merchandise at the ground than we have for some time", equates to selling that much gear that the amount of pure profit made divided by the attendance was in line with each person paying an extra entry fee. That is hard to believe, possible of course… Thats my logic, yours may differ...

I chose to leave out the merchandise sales because I don't believe it …. Same as the official crowd number.
The reason I don't believe the merchandise sales ? Because they did it without the black jersey ....and perhaps the orange ... Only one I could see was the retro jersey at the southern end stall.

It's amazing how divisive the media can be, people take journalists at their word.

Read the paper closely from time to time and see how many corrections / retractions they are forced to make each day.

He doesn't say that the game broke even in that article. He states that the game made budget, the budget may have been that the game lost $20000\. If that was the case making budget means they didn't lose more than they expected to.

@cochise said:
He doesn't say that the game broke even in that article. He states that the game made budget, the budget may have been that the game lost $20000\. If that was the case making budget means they didn't lose more than they expected to.

Quite so …. However the questions still remains, in my mind anyway, how did we make budget with only half the crowd that was forecast and merchandise sales without the two biggest sellers ... ie the main and alternate strip ? We must have sold a lot of caps, t-shirts and track suits !

Back