Meyer: cambo has once last chance

@GNR4LIFE said:
@hybrid_tiger said:
Anyway, I honestly believe Campbelltown as a region has never embraced an NRL side, not Wests Tigers and not even Wests Magpies.

If you look back at crowds, since WM moved to Campbelltown in 1987, they only averaged crowds over 10K in ONE season (1991). The area is a great junior nurseey but for whatever reason has never attracted huge support. This MAY be because they were an Ashfield, then a Lidcombe based side, who knows.

So I think this is less about a few whinging fossils complaining about colours and the size of the Magpie logo, and more about the area itself.

Yet crowd figures up until about 04 were consistently higher at C-town then they were for Leichhardt. That would tell me they embraced the JV a lot more earlier on than the Inner City. Thats if we want to use that kind of logic.

GNR not really and again your turning a post about the inability of the NSWRL, ARL and NRL to make the SW a success a LO/CS debate.

Hybrid is right. CS, despite being a wonderful ground to watch football, has never consistently got decent crowds, either before JV or since JV. Given Campbelltown potentially draws on a far larger section of the population, has decent facilities and is easy to access by transport, I would have expected significantly higher crowds than LO.

Identifying CS as having a historical a problem is not having a go at Magpies fans or even Campbelltown. It is the first step in finding a solution.

I suspect Mayer is right and the problem is that most SW residents moved there from other areas and already have a connected with a different team.

I love CS despite being a Balmain fan originally and cant understand, given the population, why it doesnt average 17,000 a week when the Tigers are winning.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

@hybrid_tiger said:
So I think this is less about a few whinging fossils complaining about colours and the size of the Magpie logo, and more about the area itself.

Yep, the problem to be solved is primarily of geography rather than identity. Geography is absolute which makes things more difficult to satisfactorily address.

Just did some sums and the average crowd for the Magpies at CSS was 7912.

I think the idea that there are masses of old Magpie fans out there who are "disenfrachised" is a myth. I'm sure there are a few but i think they are a minority.

The problem seems to be that the club just assumes, or at least has in the past, that the people of ctown will just turn up.

@Jerry Seinfeld said:
@galahs said:
Cheers.

I do think the "Wests" chant gets used in an act of defiance, but it is only effective as certain people consider it as a non acceptable Wests Tigers chant which really doesn't make sense considering it is our teams name.

For 15 years we've heard former Wests fans chout TIGERS,TIGERS and no complaints all of a sudden a few ex magpies want to shout WESTS,WESTS,WESTS and the tigers faithful and surprisingly a magpie tragic like yourself and it gets called an act of defiance or sabotage of the wests tigers.ATTENTION ALL WE ARE THE WESTS TIGERS SO WHETHER ITS WESTS,WESTS OR TIGERS TIGERS THAT GETS YELLED ITS ALL GOOD.As a former Balmain and now Wests tiger I have no problems shouting WESTS WESTS as much as TIGERS TIGERS.Never heard a dragons chant in 15 years but always hear a St George chant every game.Is that also an act of defiance towards steelers faithful.

Best post in the entire thread! The whole thing is much ado about nothing - move on!

Jerry's right, but whose he trying to fool telling everyone in every second post that he's an old Balmain boy.

Hell, prick the surface and all the old acrimonious folk come out. Get over yourselves and your self-indulgent attitudes FFS!!

If the future of the WTs is in the youth of South Western Sydney and the Inner West, do you think any of them give a stuff about this rubbish being spruiked here?

Can those of us who were there just agree on one thing…..the crowd figure is WRONG...a MISTAKE...a STUFF UP.

I am a member and go to every game the Tigers play in Sydney, home or away. I have done so for more than 10 years.

Of itself, it doesn't make my comments more worthy than anyone else's.

But IF YOU WERE THERE on Saturday night you will know that the crowd figure is obviously WRONG!!!!!

By a long way.

WRONG. INCORRECT. UNDER REPRESENTED of ACCURACY. How much more can I emphasise this?

There is no issue here. Move on!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, this' my first post on forum.I'm long time reader of it, but because of my poor writing skills in english I never had enough courage to speak up.
I have been at game too and when I seen attendance on screen, first what I was thinking same one mistake key 9 with 6.I have been almost at every game at CSS in past 8 or so years and this kind of crowd always been reported around 9000.
Other thing I notice reading this forum for years,that this crap about as and them comes up when we are successful on field,so probably fans from both JV sides can share defeat but can't share success.

Somebody joked on of the footy shows that for the first time a crowd figure wasn't inflated. :laughing:
Maybe all those crowds everybody thought were 9000 were vastly inflated and they were really closer to Saturday nights figure?

@LCA said:
Hell, prick the surface and all the old acrimonious folk come out. Get over yourselves and your self-indulgent attitudes FFS!!

If the future of the WTs is in the youth of South Western Sydney and the Inner West, do you think any of them give a stuff about this rubbish being spruiked here?

Can those of us who were there just agree on one thing…..the crowd figure is WRONG...a MISTAKE...a STUFF UP.

I am a member and go to every game the Tigers play in Sydney, home or away. I have done so for more than 10 years.
\
\
\
Of itself, it doesn't make my comments more worthy than anyone else's.

But IF YOU WERE THERE on Saturday night you will know that the crowd figure is obviously WRONG!!!!!

By a long way.

WRONG. INCORRECT. UNDER REPRESENTED of ACCURACY. How much more can I emphasise this?

There is no issue here. Move on!!!!!!!!!

100% correct. Same I have been to almost all CSS games and love to guess crowd numbers normally pretty good at it. My guess was between 9500 to 10500 I don't care what that board said. :crazy

Oh one more thing enjoy LCO and CSS games they will both soon be a thing of the past and this argument will be dead. One of agreements in the JV was the games would be evenly distributed between both grounds. So zero at CSS means zero at LO.I personally enjoy attending both but this thread has made it obvious not everybody does. By boycotting either of the grounds you could be cutting off your nose to spite your face. Get over and support Wests Tigers wherever they play

@T and M said:
Hi everyone, this' my first post on forum.I'm long time reader of it, but because of my poor writing skills in english I never had enough courage to speak up.
I have been at game too and when I seen attendance on screen, first what I was thinking same one mistake key 9 with 6.I have been almost at every game at CSS in past 8 or so years and this kind of crowd always been reported around 9000.
Other thing I notice reading this forum for years,that this crap about as and them comes up when we are successful on field,so probably fans from both JV sides can share defeat but can't share success.

Welcome to the discussion T and M. I think most on here will make allowance for your language difficulties. It is not an easy language and your comprehension is probably no worse than some for whom it is their native tongue.

@Bones said:

I think the idea that there are masses of old Magpie fans out there who are "disenfrachised" is a myth. I'm sure there are a few but i think they are a minority.

The problem seems to be that the club just assumes, or at least has in the past, that the people of ctown will just turn up.

Don't reckon LO av were higher and probably lower 90-99.

However, Balmain fans outnumber Wests fans (former that is) 2-1 as active followers of the WT.

Dormant fans are everywhere, look at Souths in the 90s had no one now it feels every second car I drive behind has that white rabbit.

Stuff like I saw tonight on that pay show where our wonderful iconic logo seemed almost like it was deliberately photoshoped matters if your on the fringe.

There are probably 3-5k Wests fans minimum who could easily get back into it if they were re enfranchised.

What Campbelltown Stadium does need is more roofed seating. The Western Stand needs to be extended from try line to try line.

[![](http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l201/wests_magpies/campbelltown_stadium_expand_zps38dc23e2.jpg)](http://s97.photobucket.com/user/wests_magpies/media/campbelltown_stadium_expand_zps38dc23e2.jpg.html)

@galahs said:
What Campbelltown Stadium does need is more roofed seating. The Western Stand needs to be extended from touch line to touch line.

[![](http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l201/wests_magpies/campbelltown_stadium_expand_zps38dc23e2.jpg)](http://s97.photobucket.com/user/wests_magpies/media/campbelltown_stadium_expand_zps38dc23e2.jpg.html)

And the stupid rock walls need to be taken away.

Also the NRL really needs to look at ways of making the game day experience better for those that attend.

In regards to value for money, you cannot really argue that a Foxtel or NRL Digital Pass Subscription probably wins in many peoples minds.

So to counter that the NRL has to make going to the game an experience worth getting of the couch for.

Why not have player signing sessions before the games like the V8's do.

What about free footy doubles to people on entry. Winners get merchandise. Those who fill out the card on the back and put it in the raffle box go into a major prize at the end of the year.

What about member shout outs.

Half time relays,
past players 'legends' touch footy games,
kick for goal challenges,
fireworks,
Magpie and Tigers mascots walking the grounds,
face painting for kids,
cheerleaders challenges

Why not offer bench seats as prizes or auction them, sitting on the ground with the players and coaching staff like the NBA do.

Why not work with The Jungle and get some chants and songs to belt out.
\
\
With the NRL's tv deals, clubs and sponsors don't need crowds per say, they want crowds to generate excitement and atmosphere that helps sell their brands on tv.
\
\
Going to the ground can no longer be just about the seeing the game, it has to be a special experience.

@galahs said:
Also the NRL really needs to look at ways of making the game day experience better for those that attend.

Alternatively, make it harder to stay at home and watch on Foxtel/Channel 9:

- increase subscription prices substantially
- reduce number of live matches
- close bars/pubs during nrl matches
- similar to adult channels, install a "spouse-lock" on all nrl matches
- Andrew Voss & Ray Hadley commentate on all matches
- Delayed matches stretch out to 3 hours with tv advertisements filling the extra time

@Magpie Magic said:
@Bones said:

Don't reckon LO av were higher and probably lower 90-99.

However, Balmain fans outnumber Wests fans (former that is) 2-1 as active followers of the WT.

Dormant fans are everywhere, look at Souths in the 90s had no one now it feels every second car I drive behind has that white rabbit.

Stuff like I saw tonight on that pay show where our wonderful iconic logo seemed almost like it was deliberately photoshoped matters if your on the fringe.

There are probably 3-5k Wests fans minimum who could easily get back into it if they were re enfranchised.

Slightly higer, 8972.

I would really like to know what the club could do to help that situation? A logo on the TV is not exactly in the control of the club, especially if as you say it looked to have been changed anyway.

My point anyway is that the club needs to work hard to engage the entire Macarthur region. Trying to appease the disenfranchised Magpie fans alone will have minimal effect and in some cases i suspect prove impossible anyway. Hopefully by putting in a concerted effort in the area some of those people will come back.

In an area with a population of 240,000, plus the people who travel from out of the area, we should be able to fill that stadium 4 times a year.

@Gary Bakerloo said:
@galahs said:

Alternatively, make it harder to stay at home and watch on Foxtel/Channel 9:

- increase subscription prices substantially
- reduce number of live matches
- close bars/pubs during nrl matches
- similar to adult channels, install a "spouse-lock" on all nrl matches
- Andrew Voss & Ray Hadley commentate on all matches
- Delayed matches stretch out to 3 hours with tv advertisements filling the extra time

All this sounds good, but they simply have to promote the bloody game.
I live in the area and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a tigers fanatic I wouldn't know the games is on.
They go on about twitter but honestly, how many people live on twitter. Maybe I'm behind the times.
Last week I heard a couple of generic NRL adverts for the weekend game but no promotion for the Tigers game at CSS.
There is no signage at CSS promoting the game.
They have a couple of players show up at the Roar Store on Thursday night but that store is on the lower level away from the main centre.
Plus out my way on every street corner are signs saying "Play AFL, call Dave on 042…....... to sign up".
All little bit of noise goes a long way.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

From this theres a few things that are agreed on;

1\. The crowd figure was higher than reported.
2\. To give up on the Macarthur Area would be plain dumb.
3\. The future of WT will be in SW Sydney
4\. Mayer's announcement about Campbelltown was stupid.

We don't all agree ;
1\. The Magpies side are not getting a fair share.
2\. The crowds we are getting week in week out at CSS are way lower than they should be.

What are the answers to fix the 2 things we don't agree on ? Especially the crowds at CSS ?

@galahs said:

In regards to value for money, you cannot really argue that a Foxtel or NRL Digital Pass Subscription probably wins in many peoples minds.

So to counter that the NRL has to make going to the game an experience worth getting of the couch for.

Why not have player signing sessions before the games like the V8's do.

What about free footy doubles to people on entry. Winners get merchandise. Those who fill out the card on the back and put it in the raffle box go into a major prize at the end of the year.

What about member shout outs.

Half time relays,
past players 'legends' touch footy games,
kick for goal challenges,
fireworks,
Magpie and Tigers mascots walking the grounds,
face painting for kids,
cheerleaders challenges

Why not offer bench seats as prizes or auction them, sitting on the ground with the players and coaching staff like the NBA do.

Why not work with The Jungle and get some chants and songs to belt out.
\
\
With the NRL's tv deals, clubs and sponsors don't need crowds per say, they want crowds to generate excitement and atmosphere that helps sell their brands on tv.
\
\
Going to the ground can no longer be just about the seeing the game, it has to be a special experience.

Absolutely right. My kids loved the kids zone at ANZ for the game vs Souths. My son got his face painted and loved the pass the ball. I could barely get my daughter off the jumping castle. After my daughter's first game (end of 2013, when she was 2), all she talked about was the balloons, the cheergirls and mascots. Don't think she noticed the footy at all!

Giving away prizes to fans at the game need not cost the club a lot. Have merchandise or membership packages as prizes at each game, or just getting to meet the players after the game. Have sponsors donate products. Have members go in the draw for a major prize at the end of the year, 1 entry per game attended.

Nowadays, having the fans sitting in the stands twiddling their thumbs for 30 minutes between games is not good enough.

Back