Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears Sheens disagrees with your assessment. He went to great lengths this week to explain a major issue at the club has been knifing coaches too quickly. Sheens is a massive supporter of Madge and is not known to change his opinion very easily.
Results determine tenure.

Knifing suggests this is unexpected imo. Over 3 years of poor results I could be wrong but just about everyone must see this as an eventuality.

Last edited:
I agree with you. We need Payten or Morris at WTs. Just my view and I'm sure TT and the remainder of Maguire's defenders will join us shortly.
They are very VERY different coaches!
We need a good coaching team, good team = success.
Payten is a lot more like Craig Fitzgibbon. Very hands on forwards focused coach. He has done better then I thought at Cowboys. He really has gotten the front firing and that has boosted them tremendously. Yet who is helping the halves, JT! Hence their success.

This year we saw Cayless join the club. We clearly had a large forward pack that was under performing. I can see the effects of such a front rower adding grit in our attack. I don't think he got the right training and prep preseason. Yet Cayless's efforts have now started to really improve our front row.

I had thought Maguire was like the above. A gritty defensive coach. He is not, he is an attacking coach that hasn't made a huge impact on our attack. Honestly I hope a quiet word is being said to Madge that if a Job opened up elsewhere that he should take it. These things can be done nice and professionally. Yes even if that means we don't sign Angus C or loose Cayless. Jackson Hastings has made a huge impact but none of that is Madge.

Don't get me wrong, Madge has added a stack of professionalism to our outfit. Yet 4 years later we have made the wrong choice (Anthony Griffin would have been better). Now that we have Sheens at the helm we can start to look at a new and upcoming coach and give them the reigns. Ciraldo, Slater, Cooper Cronk, Thurston. People are putting their hands up and we have the mentor in Sheens. I reckon Cronk would take us to the next level but that's just me.

Payten is a lot more like Craig Fitzgibbon. Very hands on forwards focused coach. He has done better then I thought at Cowboys. He really has gotten the front firing and that has boosted them tremendously. Yet who is helping the halves, JT! Hence their success.

This year we saw Cayless join the club. We clearly had a large forward pack that was under performing. I can see the effects of such a front rower adding grit in our attack. I don't think he got the right training and prep preseason. Yet Cayless's efforts have now started to really improve our front row.

I had thought Maguire was like the above. A gritty defensive coach. He is not, he is an attacking coach that hasn't made a huge impact on our attack. Honestly I hope a quiet word is being said to Madge that if a Job opened up elsewhere that he should take it. These things can be done nice and professionally. Yes even if that means we don't sign Angus C or loose Cayless. Jackson Hastings has made a huge impact but none of that is Madge.

Don't get me wrong, Madge has added a stack of professionalism to our outfit. Yet 4 years later we have made the wrong choice (Anthony Griffin would have been better). Now that we have Sheens at the helm we can start to look at a new and upcoming coach and give them the reigns. Ciraldo, Slater, Cooper Cronk, Thurston. People are putting their hands up and we have the mentor in Sheens. I reckon Cronk would take us to the next level but that's just me.
I enjoyed reading your post Crazycat and agree with what you have written.

It appears Sheens disagrees with your assessment. He went to great lengths this week to explain a major issue at the club has been knifing coaches too quickly. Sheens is a massive supporter of Madge and is not known to change his opinion very easily.
Sheens is absolutely correct, and can speak from personal experience. The club has a history of knee jerk reactions as problem solving solutions, without consideration to OD. In 2011 Sheens was being offered the coaching job at Penrith, so WT decided to give him a 3 year contract extension, which would see the Australian coach through to 2014. Wasn’t going to happen because they sacked him in 2012.
When you talk about great coaches still active in the game today, only 2 names are worthy of mention. Sheens and Bennett. These are men who know how to recruit, develop, train and retain a successful playing group.
If Sheens says we need continuity of tenure then that’s what we need.

Sheens is absolutely correct, and can speak from personal experience. The club has a history of knee jerk reactions as problem solving solutions, without consideration to OD. In 2011 Sheens was being offered the coaching job at Penrith, so WT decided to give him a 3 year contract extension, which would see the Australian coach through to 2014. Wasn’t going to happen because they sacked him in 2012.
When you talk about great coaches still active in the game today, only 2 names are worthy of mention. Sheens and Bennett. These are men who know how to recruit, develop, train and retain a successful playing group.
If Sheens says we need continuity of tenure then that’s what we need.

Who knows what he really thinks tho is not going to come out and say madge can't coach. Could be holding out until 2023.

Who knows what he really thinks tho is not going to come out and say madge can't coach. Could be holding out until 2023.
Difficult for him to say Madge can’t coach when he’s won premierships in 2 hemispheres.
Sheens is smart enough to influence the behaviour of the playing group from the position he holds.

Difficult for him to say Madge can’t coach when he’s won premierships in 2 hemispheres.
Sheens is smart enough to influence the behaviour of the playing group from the position he holds.
How long can you rely on past achievements. He's recent coaching record speaks for itself.

TT, you have your view which I won't change. Similarly, my view won't change that Maguire was never a good fit for WTs. It is not personal, but his style does not suit WTs. On the day he signed (which is the only tip I ever had), the person who told me who was involved with an NRL club and is someone I highly regard said he is not the style of coach for WTs. That has proven to be correct as I knew it would be because his opinion is valued.
It's not his style clashing with the Club.
IMHO that's Jason Taylor...

It's that Madge has had 4 years to prove himself.
We have seen 4 years of:
Changing center pairings. Never settling on a decision and Madge has made the recruitment.
Lack of grit in defense. Yes we won tonight against the Bulldogs but we still conceded 4 tries!

I won't blame Madge for not getting the forward pack that our cap can't afford.
Yet it's quite clear, Hastings is driving our attack not Madge's coaching ability. How long is that going to last?
Madge should have been improving Brooks, we should have seen him getting better or Dumped.
Madge has brought a great fighting attitude with him. he has lifted our professionalism. Yet he hasn't done much else, he hasn't identified our weaknesses and he hasn't improved them.

2022 should be his last year. We should be locking in a replacement coach now, avoiding signing Angus C unless he comes without a coach clause in his contract.
Tonights result simply means our attack against an undermanned Bulldogs can score. It's still 9-16 coaching and not good enough.

The club is in a precarious position now.
We are showing signs of the Madge effect which is.... there is no excuse for playing below the std to which you are capable of playing at.
This was highlighted by recent weeks of injuries and things going against us.
When asked about this Madge said we can't use this as an excuse. He said we have to do better in those little things that have an influence in the result.
We have got Papa and Kori signed under his watch which we can build on.
If I was someone like Angus C, I wouldn't commit to our club without knowing who's coaching next year.
AC gets on with Madge from Souths days so I think the club needs to go with stabilty and extend Madges contract.
We need to show the rest of the NRL that we are not divided and we have full faith in our coach and our system.
We need Nadge to work at getting players like Stefano to play more minutes and smash into the D and develope our coaching staff to work together.
The saying "United we stand, divided we fall" is so appropriate at the moment.
One last thing....we as a team need to learn the words to our team song... dreadful 🤣

I thought Madge was gone last year. Probably a guy who doesn't like to get ahead of his cattle, but agree that even at South's, at the end ,with the rules changing he was trying but struggling to adapt.

But let's not shag this now, because for the first time ever, including the glory days this club is displaying alot of resolve I never knew existed and its the last 3 weeks with their 2 previous losses with the massive disruption during matches thats been impressive.

Something has happened with those 2 unlikely wins and it doesn't look like were going back.

It's not his style clashing with the Club.
IMHO that's Jason Taylor...

It's that Madge has had 4 years to prove himself.
We have seen 4 years of:
Changing center pairings. Never settling on a decision and Madge has made the recruitment.
Lack of grit in defense. Yes we won tonight against the Bulldogs but we still conceded 4 tries!

I won't blame Madge for not getting the forward pack that our cap can't afford.
Yet it's quite clear, Hastings is driving our attack not Madge's coaching ability. How long is that going to last?
Madge should have been improving Brooks, we should have seen him getting better or Dumped.
Madge has brought a great fighting attitude with him. he has lifted our professionalism. Yet he hasn't done much else, he hasn't identified our weaknesses and he hasn't improved them.

2022 should be his last year. We should be locking in a replacement coach now, avoiding signing Angus C unless he comes without a coach clause in his contract.
Tonights result simply means our attack against an undermanned Bulldogs can score. It's still 9-16 coaching and not good enough.
I think you are 100% correct in what you say. Maguire’s coaching record at the tigers is there for everyone to see yet some just ignore it. we have not improved and will not under him

Payten is a myth, lets see how things pain out long term for the Cowboys, it is not even half way through the season and people are talking him up as if he was Bellamy. He has a stacked side with Origin and Test players and inherited a lot of good stuff set up by Green, plus they have had the sweetest draw in the comp with home games and no real injuries, everything has gone his way. Lets see him win a comp like Madge then get all excited.

Payten is a myth, lets see how things pain out long term for the Cowboys, it is not even half way through the season and people are talking him up as if he was Bellamy. He has a stacked side with Origin and Test players and inherited a lot of good stuff set up by Green, plus they have had the sweetest draw in the comp with home games and no real injuries, everything has gone his way. Lets see him win a comp like Madge then get all excited.
Madge also was up against it from the get go. A lesser coach would not be there now.
It takes time to develop a playing group when you’re coming from rock bottom, ask Bulldogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back