Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payten is a myth, lets see how things pain out long term for the Cowboys, it is not even half way through the season and people are talking him up as if he was Bellamy. He has a stacked side with Origin and Test players and inherited a lot of good stuff set up by Green, plus they have had the sweetest draw in the comp with home games and no real injuries, everything has gone his way. Lets see him win a comp like Madge then get all excited.
Cant agree with that one Terry. Payton turned the warriors around whilst there even in a short period. Last year he threw all the young kids in at the Cowboys giving them game time. He even sat his best player on the bench for most of the year whilst the kids were playing. This year they are all the more better for it.
Our coach plays to win each week with no long term vision. Good example of this was the Dogs game last year when our development players were watching in the stands whilst guys like Chee Kam were in the team with no future at the club.
Credit where it due , there are some slight improvements but we are miles from the good teams. I wonder if these improvements are him or his assistants.

They are very VERY different coaches!
We need a good coaching team, good team = success.
Payten is a lot more like Craig Fitzgibbon. Very hands on forwards focused coach. He has done better then I thought at Cowboys. He really has gotten the front firing and that has boosted them tremendously. Yet who is helping the halves, JT! Hence their success.

This year we saw Cayless join the club. We clearly had a large forward pack that was under performing. I can see the effects of such a front rower adding grit in our attack. I don't think he got the right training and prep preseason. Yet Cayless's efforts have now started to really improve our front row.

I had thought Maguire was like the above. A gritty defensive coach. He is not, he is an attacking coach that hasn't made a huge impact on our attack. Honestly I hope a quiet word is being said to Madge that if a Job opened up elsewhere that he should take it. These things can be done nice and professionally. Yes even if that means we don't sign Angus C or loose Cayless. Jackson Hastings has made a huge impact but none of that is Madge.

Don't get me wrong, Madge has added a stack of professionalism to our outfit. Yet 4 years later we have made the wrong choice (Anthony Griffin would have been better). Now that we have Sheens at the helm we can start to look at a new and upcoming coach and give them the reigns. Ciraldo, Slater, Cooper Cronk, Thurston. People are putting their hands up and we have the mentor in Sheens. I reckon Cronk would take us to the next level but that's just me.

I think the only people who could seriously be thinking that moving the coach atm is a good idea are the people who wanted him gone long before now.

Last edited:
Cant agree with that one Terry. Payton turned the warriors around whilst there even in a short period. Last year he threw all the young kids in at the Cowboys giving them game time. He even sat his best player on the bench for most of the year whilst the kids were playing. This year they are all the more better for it.
Our coach plays to win each week with no long term vision. Good example of this was the Dogs game last year when our development players were watching in the stands whilst guys like Chee Kam were in the team with no future at the club.
Credit where it due , there are some slight improvements but we are miles from the good teams. I wonder if these improvements are him or his assistants.
Who cares who gets the credit? Do you think Henry Ford knew how to make a motor car?
Maguire came into a disorganised rabble, with the Chair and CEO trying to do the recruitment and cap management on behalf of the board and Hartigan. This is only his 4th season.

Only his forth season. How many more years are we giving him.
Well 🤔, he’s contracted for 23, I’d like to see a 2 year extension on that. Then he can live or die on the results.
WT needs to be a reputation building organisation, recruiting and developing those people who want (desire) their reputation built.
I’m happy that players like Tualagi, Luciano are offered big dollars by other clubs, it shows we are on the right path.

Well 🤔, he’s contracted for 23, I’d like to see a 2 year extension on that. Then he can live or die on the results.
WT needs to be a reputation building organisation, recruiting and developing those people who want (desire) their reputation built.
I’m happy that players like Tualagi, Luciano are offered big dollars by other clubs, it shows we are on the right path.
So you want to extend him for another 2 years already. Not sure about that one.

I don't attribute the failure of the FG team to an individual nor do I believe change can be successful on the back of a coach alone. I can point fingers at a whole lot of people that have contributed to our failure.
Maguire must have KPIs in his contract so certainly the WTs hold him to account. As Crazy Cat wrote a quiet word advising that if an opportunity arose at another club he should take it would appear to be best for both parties.

Maguire must have KPIs in his contract so certainly the WTs hold him to account. As Crazy Cat wrote a quiet word advising that if an opportunity arose at another club he should take it would appear to be best for both parties.
They did hold him to account at the end of last and he is still there. Obviously some fans don't support that and others do.

I was sceptical with our decision to retain Madge in the offseason given it was almost a foregone conclusion that we wouldn't make the 8 this year. It would have meant 4 consecutive seasons with a coach not making the finals and limited improvement in that period at which point sacking the coach is the only viable option.

But I do think we're playing better this year than we have in previous years, especially considering the significant number of injuries we've had to suffer through. A huge part of this has obviously been the inclusion of Hastings who's given us our first genuine organising halfback since Mat Head (lol) and Prince before that (Benji might have been the dominant half for years, but could never really get us around the park well). Credit to Madge for bringing him in and Hastings obviously has a high opinion of him which helps too.

The players are putting in the effort and the Parra + Souths consecutive wins and performances are the best we've seen in some time. Defensively there's been periods of improvement and regression, we really shouldn't be giving up 22 points like we did against the Dogs but we also had some good defensive performances earlier in the year.

I suspect we'll finish somewhere in the 10th-12th range this year which is probably a fair reflection of the talent level of the team. Given the injuries we've had, I'd call it a reasonably successful year if we ended up there without many floggings.

Flanagan and Green are probably as good, if not better than Madge, but I think we're at the point where any positive in appointing them as better coaches, would be far less than the negative effect it would have on our team's morale and the culture we're building. I wouldn't extend him at this stage, but I've come around to the idea that we should be keeping him until 2023 unless things really fall off a cliff this year.

Madge also was up against it from the get go. A lesser coach would not be there now.
It takes time to develop a playing group when you’re coming from rock bottom, ask Bulldogs?
Rock bottom ?we finished 9th the year before he took over right now I whould take that over what Madge has offered up over the last 4 seasons

I think you are 100% correct in what you say. Maguire’s coaching record at the tigers is there for everyone to see yet some just ignore it. we have not improved and will not under him
My belief is that with a lot of the toxic personalities gone, they are now showing improvement in attitude and resolve which I give Madge credit for. I can understand if that doesn’t matter to fans because it’s about the results…but it matters to me.

right at this stage, with new recruits wanting to come and play under Madge it would be the wrong time to move Madge on. I don’t want to go backwards again. It’s been slow, we haven’t had the cattle but i like what looks to be building. Look at what Madge is currently working with. the roster we have has a lot of inexperience in it that have been forced to play for most of the season because of injuries.
If a new coach comes in and gets the a team at full strength plus the likes of Api & Papi Coming in, that would be unfair on Madge. He has put his heart and soul into this.

Cowboys and Warriors are not the Tigers. It’s hard to compare with so many variables. I would love to have talent throughout the cowboys squad at the tigers.

I see Madges (which is the Tigers) long term vision as having a squad of players selflessly working hard as a unit to achieve a goal. There were many personalities that were working against this and one by one they are jumping off the bus. (Lucy aside)

I agree we are miles from the good teams but only 3-4 wins from the 8 and who knows if we had a healthy squad.

So you want to extend him for another 2 years already. Not sure about that one.
His first 2 years, he was hamstrung by his highest paid players either being duds or sitting with the fans at game time. Further the CEO taking another $700k off the cap. Don’t know how others feel, but I do think the coach needs to be given the opportunity and not tossed aside like an unwanted Christmas present.

I've been critical of maguire, as many have, but I'm starting to think that we need to keep him on board, simply based on the fact that there's just no decent coaches avaliable, when the best Canterbury can come up with is mick potter, and ciraldo and Flanagan have said a definite no to us, if maguire can land Angus crighton it will be a massive coup for the club

Cowboys and Warriors are not the Tigers. It’s hard to compare with so many variables. I would love to have talent throughout the cowboys squad at the tigers.

I see Madges (which is the Tigers) long term vision as having a squad of players selflessly working hard as a unit to achieve a goal. There were many personalities that were working against this and one by one they are jumping off the bus. (Lucy aside)

I agree we are miles from the good teams but only 3-4 wins from the 8 and who knows if we had a healthy squad.
Agree. Also it runs deeper than current coaches and playing squad. It’s the trashing of the WT brand over many years that is slowly turning positive.
Now that Anasta is a player agent, how many recruitment level talks do you think he has had with us?
It’s only recently he will admit to having played with WT. 😂

Rock bottom ?we finished 9th the year before he took over right now I whould take that over what Madge has offered up over the last 4 seasons
Well that would be fair if the only KPI was ladder position. If the players had that view they would never be in a satisfactory position and continually support the view they are losers.
As Tamou said in a post game presser..us players need to achieve individual goals and targets, then it follows that the team can be successful.
I’m not trying to minimise the importance of the position on the ladder, but all it does is compare the team against its competitors, it does nothing to improve individual performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back