Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they’ll take some good from that…
They’re winning most of the match - they’ll get to like that feeling…

It took some individual brilliance from one of the best players in the game to break us open.

It’s not all doom and gloom

When Cleary accepted his job with us, he accepted it like the glowing eyes of a Tiger in the dark, but then he left his cubs behind, it was like (i'll leave it to your imagination)

The result of his breaching of his contract and premature departure was that he left us in a bigger mess that would take us a much longer time to clean up than what was originally expected.

We have been used and abused for such a long time, and i can see and believe that the WT have almost fully recovered from those seriously inflicted injuries.

What do you mean? We're starting a rebuild this season as it stands anyway? Our lack of defensive structure, our lack of fitness and general lack of skill is unforgivable.
That is all on Madge.
The fatigue was exacerbated by Madge completely stuffing up his bench rotations. Out opponents were down to 15 men for most of the match, we should have rotated our players to ensure we always had fresh legs and full of energy, instead one bench player got 20 mins and another 10. That's appalling management.
With The terrible squad Madge has assembled we can't make schoolboy errors like bit using the bench, especially when they destroyed us through the middle of the ruck.

What is Madge going to do to fix these issues in a week?
100% correct

Based in what exactly? Our defence last night was as bad as any of the crap dished up last season. Absolutely terrible, poor structure, poor communication, poor decisions and poor effort
I thought our defence looked much better than last year. Not perfect but better. Line speed was better and not as many misreads. The one caveat on that comment was Gildart. He looks like he’s never played centre before. Cayless needs to spend some time next week walking Gildart through how to defend in his position.

On the first 60 min 🤣
The first 60 mins in which we conceded 3 very soft and preventable tries?

The first half was ok, but we had 68% possession. Any other team would have been up by 20 at that stage.

Our attack was poor, defence worse, fitness poor, coaching poor.

If your argument is that we can look solid when we have 68% possession then we're in deep deep trouble

I thought our defence looked much better than last year. Not perfect but better. Line speed was better and not as many misreads. The one caveat on that comment was Gildart. He looks like he’s never played centre before. Cayless needs to spend some time next week walking Gildart through how to defend in his position.
Do you also understand that our markers in defence are usually way out of position. That we don't cover the middle which causes the first man to slide infield, then the next guy slides in and then you're left with massive overlaps out wide. All it takes is two good passes and an opponent scores.

Based in what exactly? Our defence last night was as bad as any of the crap dished up last season. Absolutely terrible, poor structure, poor communication, poor decisions and poor effort
Disagree BB

In years past we would have clocked off and lost by 30pts

I was impressed with the defense, were still not a great squad.

Be patient,

Disagree BB

Be patient,
Scored the same amount

Let in 40 less points

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313-152508_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-152508_Chrome.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 2
Disagree BB

Be patient,
We were beating the team 14-4, they lost a winger and a hooker, had to reshuffle, they made 70 more tackles than us in the first half.
We did clock off, we lost a game we shouldn't have. We were tired when they had worked much harder than us yet were still fresher.
We had line speed for a while which was a nice change, but they got the line speed wrong in a few crucial times and this lost us the game. It seems we can't put in the required effort for more than half a game.

Oh please! He totally made Daine play the ball like he did, he totally made Seyfarth drop the ball, he totally made Roberts run a player off the ball. New coach won't change a thing.
I tend to agree with you and I did note better defensive structures (not necessarily execution) and line speed.

What hasn't seem to change is our ability to handle adversity. Storm were starved of possession in the first half but seemed to be able to rely on their processes to get them through, knowing at some point the pendulum would shift.

Unfortunately, we currently cannot trust our processes when the opposition is attacking the line and we tend to panic. This may get better with new assistant coaches and their input. I think we should wait a little while before passing judgement.

We were beating the team 14-4, they lost a winger and a hooker, had to reshuffle, they made 70 more tackles than us in the first half.
We did clock off, we lost a game we shouldn't have. We were tired when they had worked much harder than us yet were still fresher.
We had line speed for a while which was a nice change, but they got the line speed wrong in a few crucial times and this lost us the game. It seems we can't put in the required effort for more than half a game.
We played well but did not compete for 80 mins. There were a few decisions that did not go out way but that tends to happen when we play the better teams expected to win. Why on earth are we not ? Them especially when your job is on the line.

Sideways play the ball and forward pass with Oates try that no commentator called. They all thought Olam had scored till it was taken away I saw it was a knock on straight away. We were suppose to lose if seems like,

Half time coach inspires the players tells them the game plan for the next 40.
Bench was not used effectively against a team low on troops?

My 3,2,1 for worst performers were,
3 Madge
2 Laurie
1 gildard

Knights next week they played well against a full strength roosters team think we will be up against it.
Will have to do the stats later.

Performance wise upon reflection annoyed we could of won, they at least competed and it wasn’t a blow out.
At least I took the 11.5 start and won some $ on the game.

Did you bother to watch the game and work out that the Storm made 70 more tackles than us because we were playing good footy and keeping pressure on them? Did you notice in the period you think we clocked off that we crossed the line twice and were unlucky not to score on both occasions, which could have won us the game. Sure we weren't perfect but we were better, good enough to compete with a team that hasn't lost in the first round for 10 years.

For once we had the Storm beaten the way they beat us, they were out on their feet taking 4 tackles to get back on side and in the line. Instead of going wide, throwing the ball around early and letting it do the work and using the bench to finish them, our footy IQ shown through, we went back to settles and not punishing them.
We showed the type of footy that we can play, but it comes at a cost, is madge smart enough to adapt accordingly, I doubt it. Lets see what happens next week.

Last edited:
He was reserve grade standard at best .. disappointing
I am not knocking him for being a smaller fella. But gees Brooks looks miles bigger than him. He is going to get steam rolled. Look at the match ups he has every week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back